The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February?

Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21423

• inshoreangler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • "Positive Mentoring through Fishing"
  • Thank you received: 15
Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? ;-[]-

While dragging the bottom with straws yesterday for flounder, :/w just before sunset, about 200 yards west of the Sharky's on the Pier, in Venice , Florida were a small pod of Tarpon daisy chaining up the coast from south to north; had one of about a hundred pounds blow right under the “T” at the end chasing a bait fish which looked to be a blue runner? Pinch me its is not the right time of the year. But do not tell the fish that because we had a water temperature of 59 degrees a few weeks back and now its in the upper sixties.

According to channel 7 news, 65 water temp but according to the Venice Pier Buoy VF1, NOAA weather station, yesterday, it was registering 71 degrees. Either way, if this continues, we may see a winter to summer happening this year. If that is the case, it will be a bumper crop on the fish!

An to top it off, the Snook have come out of the bays, at least in Venice. The beaches looked like summer with some real bruisers scouting the beach line in search of sand fleas. Ought to be a good King run too if the waters continue to rise! :/w
Positive Mentoring through Fishing; "The Mentoring Angler" Staff Writer andThe Political Sandbox
Come on in, the waters fine!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21427

• kevininkorea
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Maybe two or three weeks ago my brother and I put in kayaks at Snook Haven. Around one of the first big bends we paddled right into a school of small tarpon.

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21428

• inshoreangler
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, the smaller ones will winter up, like the snook, with the occasional Bull Shark mixed in.
Positive Mentoring through Fishing; "The Mentoring Angler" Staff Writer andThe Political Sandbox

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21453

• groupernugget
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
kevininkorea wrote:
Maybe two or three weeks ago my brother and I put in kayaks at Snook Haven. Around one of the first big bends we paddled right into a school of small tarpon.

Well did you noodle one out or what?!

I wouldn't be mad if I caught a tarpon in February...

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21462

• gulfscuba
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
An old timer I used to fish with always said it was the lengthening of the days that got things going.
Shut up and fish!

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21465

• FishinFoy$1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Snook haven where is this place you speak of?

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21466

• inshoreangler
  • Platinum Boarder
trouble is...in Feb. the light pattern is the same, year to year; so that blows out the ole fisher's tale on lengthening of days on light! Temperature on or in the water, triggers all fish to do what it is they do; that is not a ole tale of blue. From the spawn to the run, the temperature triggers the fish to its move; and that is from a scientific view. Our temps. in the water dipped and now, are on the rise. Straggling pods are on the move inshore. Like I said, if I had to predict, we might get a cold day or two, like we do every March but I think the worse is over and our spring run might just happen near the end of winter.

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21467

• kevininkorea
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Well, considering we were targeting bass, we weren't quite set up for pulling in a tarpon. But, being in the middle of it we tried anyways. Couldn't get a single one to bite.

Snook Haven is a Restaurant on the Myakka River. Here's a map: (or a link to one if it doesn't work)

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&...t=h&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=embe...295,0.121716&t=h" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

g.co/maps/p7efk

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21471

• inshoreangler
  • Platinum Boarder
Back in my (not so older days), I guided out of Snook Haven. Now, as of the last year or two, it is owned by the county; no longer a Mom & Pop operation. The angling is awesome, canoe rentals to excursions on the river for bird watching to gator gasping and up around the bend is the Rotary Camp Grounds. A place where the tourist are jaw dropping as, young scouters are rope swinging into the river, swimming with them gators. Sunday is a closed ramp day as the Bikers have always claimed this refuge with kegs of beer and bands to boot.

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21579

• gulfscuba
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
In this mornings Tampa Bay Times Capt Larry Blue states; "King and Spanish mackerel usually begin their migration based on the angle of the sun and moon on the earth." This seems to add credence to my old timer friends theory that it is the lengthening of the days that starts the migration.

www.tampabay.com/sports/outdoors/captain...the-mackerel/1214602
Shut up and fish!

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21591

• inshoreangler
  • Platinum Boarder
:ditto: ...It is all connected, as we are in fishing! Think about it; if a pot sits on the stove, at the edge of the burner, for one minute, filled with saltwater, it has no to little effect. The angle and length to time it was exposed to the heat applies to how warm the water becomes. Push the pot over further add some time and it warms more. Put it directly on the burner and it heats best.

The point is, the moon influences the tides but the sun warms the waters along with westerly flows of the wind. So in conclusion, the cause, or in the case of the pot on the stove, was the burner but the direct influence was the hot water as a result.

Tarpon to King Mackerels are generally not found in 59 degree water, right? But in 59 degree water they are on the move. Your theory that it is the lengthening of the days starts the migration is right but only as the longer the days during a general year, equate to that burner; warmer waters but this year, we have had but two weeks of water in the 50's. Now it is in the mid to high sixties and the fish are on an early migration. In essence, we are both right except this year had nothing to do with the sun length on the surface; unless the solar bursts as of late have an effect? It's just we are having more south east and westerly winds with the ole man not giving us our normal blow of Northerly winds.

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21609

• gulfscuba
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I wish my old buddy was still alive so I could ask about what he meant by his statement. He was adamant about one other thing as well. He said he would never bother fishing for tarpon or kings until the Jacaranda's bloomed.
Shut up and fish!

Re: Just an Observation But Tarpon in February? 2 years 6 months ago #21614

• AndyS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Andrew Schoener
  • Thank you received: 368
gulfscuba wrote:
I wish my old buddy was still alive so I could ask about what he meant by his statement. He was adamant about one other thing as well. He said he would never bother fishing for tarpon or kings until the Jacaranda's bloomed.
Jacaranda's, it's all about Temp. Where I'm from it was Dogwood trees. I will go with water Temps every time. Don't forget about good winter fishing around warm water out-flows/ like power plants. That makes it water Temp.
Andrew Schoener