Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon...

Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26241

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 211
Ok...wife got me a Florida State Park pass so that I can do more beach fishing out at Honeymoon and give the after hours access a try. So I've been out there several times now.

The problem is that outside of a few trout, I'd have pretty much no luck.

I've fished up and down the beach line from the dog beach to the north end. Top water, bucktail, silly willy, gold spoon, etc etc etc...

I feel like I'm flailing around out there...heh...

Do you want to fish the incoming or the outgoing? The incoming breaks nicely there, but it gets really cloudy and the rocky areas are rough on jigs. The wind chops things up too much for top waters.

At this point I may just wait until people are reporting the snook are out there and go thrown pin fish at them...I'm having pathetic results on artificials...
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26243

• Raymond
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
should be some sharks around. I saw a recent tip that said get your bait on the bottom and outside the sand bar and it shouldn't take too long and you'll have screaming drag syndrom

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26245

• Raymond
  • Gold Boarder
Read the cobia article if it's still up.

www.theonlinefisherman.com/how-to-all/46...1-how-to-catch-cobia

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26252

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Hey Chris,

I went out to the dog beach A LOT last spring/summer before I got my yak. I think I caught a zillion trout and one pretty good snook. I stayed away from the rocky area after I got Hung up there several times. There is a sandy area that protrudes out a bit almost in the middle of the beach. I liked to stand pretty much at that point and cast towards the west. Very productive area for me using gulp shrimp. I caught my first snook there. 30 inches. Pretty cool. I fished the west side of the beach and the times I did it was pretty worthless. FYI u can rent a kayak at dunedin causeway for either 25 or 40 bucks and fish caldesi.

I was thinkin about doing some wading out there soon. But mostly you will get tout.

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26254

• gulfscuba
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 43
I was there today and didn't catch a flippin thing. Don't feel like the lone ranger.
Shut up and fish!

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26266

• midnight mike
  • Gold Boarder
  • HERITAGE REDFISH 12
Chris
there is another spot you can try is just inside the main gate (about 100 yards) on the north side of the road, you'll see about five parking spaces. Park there and walk down that path (it only about 25 feet) and there is a long sea wall for the north east side of Honeymoon Island. That sea wall is is like a deeper channel. Its hit or miss there but there are shark, jacks, reds and boat loads of mullet.

As long as you have the park pass you can hit that spot and if it produces great, if hit the beach. \

I like cwegescheide idea about the Kayak rental. If you do that work that north east section by kayak
(its a no motor zone) its always productive.
BOLO: Last seen paddling around a distant mangrove point.

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26268

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the info guys...I was thinking that calm northern area looked nice and quiet / productive. Will give it a shot.

I don't think I'll try the main beach again until we know the snook are out there.
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26269

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 297
Snook are out there :)
Bring your net and chum
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26288

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
DavidT wrote:
Snook are out there :)
Bring your net and chum

So when are we meeting up? :thumbsup:

Am seriously considering a night trip some Fri/Sat evening soon.

Hopefully I'll be handy enough with a net after the Thursday night seminar.
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26293

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
You can get to the beach at night??? If you have an after hours pass or whatever does that give you 24/7 access??

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26294

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
cwegescheide wrote:
You can get to the beach at night??? If you have an after hours pass or whatever does that give you 24/7 access??

I've been told that the annual pass makes you eligible to get after hours access. I plan to confirm that tomorrow. (Wife surprised me with the family access pass Friday night...)

I have a neighbor who claims to have had great success with snook after hours over there...free lining pins and grunts after dark.
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26305

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 297
I've caught big snook off Caladesi with pigfish...I'd be down to pull a late nighter...maybe next week...saturday night? Get there around 5 or 6 to fish the sunset and make sure we get bait?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26307

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
Let me check on access guidelines and etc tomorrow.

I'd definitely be down for an after hours snook hunt. Probably just a matter of when.
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26308

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
If ya want a third lemme know =)))

Re: Feel like I'm flailing around out at Honeymoon... 1 year 11 months ago #26309

• midnight mike
  • Gold Boarder
  • HERITAGE REDFISH 12
I'll be the fourh lemme know. That after hours pass might refer to after hours access to the Dunedin Causeway
BOLO: Last seen paddling around a distant mangrove point.
  • Page: