The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: N. Skyway Pier Tips???

N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #26860

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
My work is having an outing to the N. Skyway Pier for fishing tomorrow. Just wanted to shout out for tips as I have not fished here anytime recently. I am familiar with general pier fishing tactics, etc. so I would just like to know if there are specific spots along the pier with special structure or honey holes for tastey/big game fish. I don't want to pull up pinfish all day, as my entire work will be focusing on me to catch the big ones (lol, I'm the only one that fishes at all there, let alone religiously!). Thanks everyone!

PS: I am using the Fishy Maps before someone says something, lol, just looking for specific spots/tips, especially by those who recently fished there!
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #26861

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
I would start with a sabiki. Get whitebait and you should be able to find tons of mackerel out there easily
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #26862

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Haha I knew you'd be the first to reply! That's why I added the PS about the maps :P but yeah that's my plan, all though, all bait, etc has been purchased for us! I'm pretty excited and hope I can be credited hooking someone up with a monster!

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #27008

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I haven't fished the skyway in a year and when I was there last I couldn't get an white bait on a sabiki.

Are there spots that are best for catching some? Or better yet, are there spots NOT to try to catch white bait at?

Dan
Wade the flats for r/s/st/f with greenbacks or chubs on a Carolina rig. Moving between spots, I like to throw gold spoons or topwater (in the morning). Throw soft plastics on a 1/8th jighead (z-man minnowz) for flounder and trout in the winter. Kayak fish also, troll a spoon or lipped Rapala...

Re: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #27013

• plfalcon
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 138
Dan,
Are you fishing by land or boat ?
If boat , the flats just west/ south- west of the north side of the skyway is loaded with them. (white bait)
Look for the diviing pelicans. Was tthere Thursday , chum for 5 minutes and loaded the live well with 4 or 5 throws.
Hope this infor helps .

Re: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #27049

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
Dan,
Fish the pilings with sabikis. Chum if you can and an incoming tide holds bigger quantities. Just be prepared to also pull up spanish macks, jacks, etc. lol

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: N. Skyway Pier Tips??? 2 years 2 months ago #27058

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 280
There are lots of fish that make that bridge/pier their home. You will find all of the pelagics (macks, kings, tarpon) along with all of the usual bottom dwelling suspects like grouper and snapper. I have literally seen everything caught off that pier- including a 40" snook, big reds, big trout, sheepshead, hogfish, pompano, permit, gags, red grouper, black grouper, goliath grouper, hog snapper, vermillion snapper, beeliners, porgy's, numerous sharks, cobia and im sure im missing a few species in there.

I used to have great luck FREELINING pinish with 60lb flouro leader and a7/0 hook. If you hook the pinfish above the anal fin it will get down in the water column. That water is only 10-14 ft in most spots so you dont need weights. If you go on Google earth you can see where the old bridge pilings are and you want to drift your baits down them. If there arent a lot of people you can just keep moving until you find one willing to eat.

I made a real comprehensive map some years back on where every piling was based on where you where standing on the actual pier but look at these aerial views and deciher them yourselves. Myself and another guy on that forum counted the light poles to make the map, it took some work but i paid off but i havent been back since they shut down half of the piers.
skywaypiers.proboards.com/index.cgi?boar...on=display&thread=43
Team BF