The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: how to catch largemouth bass in cold water? (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: how to catch largemouth bass in cold water?

how to catch largemouth bass in cold water? 2 years 2 months ago #26823

• Kidzfishing
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
the waters in the 40's any tips on what to fish with?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: how to catch largemouth bass in cold water? 2 years 2 months ago #26832

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Hot cocoa
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: how to catch largemouth bass in cold water? 2 years 2 months ago #26869

• kevininkorea
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Jigs, suspending jerkbaits, and finesse baits. Also, if you're on deeper water, deep crankbaits and jigging spoons.

At 40 degrees it'll be hard going no matter what you have tied onto your line.

A good resource to have is if you get a subscription to BASS Master magazine, they also give you access to old magazines online. I think it goes back around ten years or so. Whenever I start to wonder what I should be throwing, or techniques I should be using, I check out old issues around the same time of the year.

Re: how to catch largemouth bass in cold water? 2 years 2 months ago #27038

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 325
I just saw this.

In waters that shift as much as yours do, fish behave accordingly. In short that means that a) they are going to become lethargic when the water falls below sixty-or so, and b) they are going to seek the most stable water temps (called Thermoclines) available in the waters in which they live.

The first factor calls for live bait. One of my personal favorites - in subtropical lakes during the winter or lakes and ponds in the colder climes is big wiggly worms. It is a bait you can grow yourself with. Table scraps, plenty of coffee grinds, and a willingness to stir the dirt once in a while.. River fishing is somewhat different, so for now let's think lakes. Lakes are going to be more productive in colder states in the winter anyway, so that alone (lake fishing instead of rivers) will improve your odds. So the first thing to do is fish with big worms or with life shiners or other small fishies. Check regulations about what is legal and figure that everything that swims will be eaten by a winter sluggish fish if you put it on their heads. Think structure and fish where the fish are.

Thermoclines are based on feeds, among other things. If you can find where a spring feeds a lake, then you will find a deep spot, structure, and bass - both largemouths and smallmouths. Crappie, as well, stick around the spring feeds in the winter. The water temps remain constant, and at a certain int the temps stop falling.

I hope this helps, Max. Now do a video talking about what I just taught you and put it up :)
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...