The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: any Newfies 'round ere? (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: any Newfies 'round ere?

any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28201

• gfranq
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello
My name is Gina and I love to fish! I was born and raised in Newfoundland, Canada but I live in Tampa with my husband Shaun. I am no expert at fishing these waters but I have been trying to learn as I much as I can and I really enjoy the articles provided on this website.
My dream is to own a boat someday and go fishing every weekend (Hopefully within the next 1-2 years).
Are there many women on this site? It still seems to be a "man's world" when it comes to fishing and I would love to meet more women like myself who find joy in catching the big ones!
I see some people attach photos so I thought I would share some as well.
DSCF2227.JPG

Allinamorningswork.JPG

DSCF2239.JPG

2007_09272007Sept0219.JPG

2007_09272007Sept0244.JPG
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28208

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
You must be in the wrong place, Gina. None of us are insane anglers, who live and die to fish, and just be on the water :)

I will tell you what. Email Captain David - he is here on the forums and the guy behind the "Ask the Captain" module on the front page of the site.

Tell him his partner Poyssick shot his mouth off and promised you that if you went to the store (Tampa Fishing Outfitters on Osborne Avenue in tampa) that I said the grumpy old man named don or he (captain David) would give you a free book called "Skinny: how to fish in shallow saltwater"

It is a primer about fishing these waters. And if can tell you, girl, that just looking at those pictures, that you will get a few things out of the book that will jump start you. But that you do not need much help except a little overview on feeding behavior, species, and structures that hold fish here. Structure is structure to a large degree, but here you are dealing with coastal and tidal structure. That is way different then structure formed by flowing sweet (fresh) water.

But are you gonna love the fishery here. Seriously. There are any of a dozen different very challenging species you can target here. Some of them - like snook - are residents, and here all year. Others, like tarpon and kingfish, are seasonal, showing up in spring (and fall in the case of kingfish) and providing action you will not believe.

So stay here and keep hassling people and you will draw plenty of attention. We also have seminars to teach newbies about fishing and enjoying our beautiful environment. There is one that the guy that wrote the book skinny is giving at Tampa fishing outfitters, so watch it and register when we have the registration software working. The site is something we are constantly updating.

And oh!!!!!

Welcome!!!! It is really cool to have you hear, and I hope you enjoy that book.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28218

• dkknaebel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Gina- welcome to the site and there are plenty of us women on the site. Soak up as much knowledge as you can and attend the seminars. Tons of information and he'll, I jumped my first tarpon last weekend.

Dawn
Always ready to fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: gfranq

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28223

• gfranq
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you so much! I will definitely take advantage of the seminars....that is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for to up my knowledge:)

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28429

• pickgrin
  • Thank you received: 723
Welcome Gina - Nice Pics
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28433

• FishHawk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
One time near Dildo Run, I bought a large button. Had just caught some nice salmon on a fly rod and was hoping for a moment
to dry off. The button says..."We don't tan, we rust. Newfoundland"

Bet you like it here.
"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Gen. Mattis
The following user(s) said Thank You: gfranq

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28434

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
FishHawk wrote:
One time near Dildo Run,

Reading that first line I thought this might be the first comment of yours that I'd have to moderate :laughing:

What a name. You would think some thin-skinned people would've made a big stink about changing that name already :laughing:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: any Newfies 'round ere? 2 years 3 months ago #28833

• FishHawk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I have a picture next to the sign. It's a real neat fishing area on the Northeast side of Newfoundland. Great salmon fishing there and wonderful people.
"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Gen. Mattis