The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10

Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #151

• FISHFINDER
  • Junior Boarder
This is my first post on The Online Fisherman and I wanted to say it's a terrific web site with a lots of useful features and information.
I fished the Gulf Pier at Ft. DeSoto this morning at 7:30, rigged for mackerel, but there were none-not even any baitfish. The only thing being caught was a few pinfish on sabiki. I stayed for an hour and then headed to the S. Skyway Pier were the macks were very active, although there were only small quantities of larger baitfish at lower depths.
I caught macks up to 19" on various jigs along the seawall and then tried several locations up on the pier with the same result. Ended up taking home two that size. The water was also flat calm and the pier was packed with people catching them up to 20" long, occassionally a little longer.
I tried my first Mac D. straw rig without success-the leader kept getting wrapped around the mainline. Is there a way to prevent that from happening?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #158

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 130
Did you pinch down the top end of the straw or maybe squeeze a split shot at the top end. Dennis when you come back to the tackle shop I will show you what I mean.. I think I understand whats happening to the leader. But if you show me in person it will be easier. Thanks for the good report. Nice to have them fresh. See you soon.

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #259

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
Hi

Thanks for your kind words about the site. We've been working on it non-stop (literally, as in 18-hr days lol) for about four weeks -- but man, has it come together fast. Hearing people say that it's nice means a lot.

Your report on the south pier and DeSoto is very interesting. It's a report we could use on a constant basis. Do you fish it at least once a month or more???

If you do, let us know and you can be a land-pier reporter :). Heck -- you might even get some cool stuff from me or Captain David ;)
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #266

• FISHFINDER
  • Junior Boarder
I'm there 2 or 3 times a month during the spring & fall, but stay away during the summer & winter. I'll be there tomorrow morning rigged for a mack attack.

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #268

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
Email our Editor (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) and tell her we talked on the forums about you posting a land-based report. You can do THOSE all year, right? I have a few friends that don't even know about the site who are into it, but your writing is already cool, and having new blood on our "team" (for what that's worth lol) makes us provide better content.

You're gonna be a wonderful addition, man. How very, very cool. The same username and password you use here will become an "Author" password, which will give you access to an INCREDIBLE word processor and image program so you can post all your own stuff. It gets edited, but not changed.

And we have instructions :)

Hit Ellen. She actually has a real life besides working on the site, but she'll get back to you.

And her Son is an outstanding young guy named Sean who is keeping us free right now as a member of our Special Operations forces. When not being beat up, made to run on little-if-any protein for three hundred miles a day (or close, i think), or being strengthened and tested in ways we call cannot IMAGINE, he's handling our Facebook stuff.

God, we build them good here, don't we?

poyssick
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #269

• Capt Billy
  • Fresh Boarder
Nice report. Very nice words Gary. You are a stand up guy... Keep it up guys.

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #277

• AndyS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Andrew Schoener
  • Thank you received: 379
This fishing forum is looking good. Some of the largest Mac's I have seen are being caught at the Venice jetties. Loads of them being caught. Won't be long before they will be at the Skyway pier area. The green backs showed up in big numbers down here. I have a question. Should we put our fishing reports on "Fishing Reports" or " Fishing" If you know what I mean. We have reports on both places. Is the "Fishing Reports" only for Capt's and Guides? Not complaining, just want to know where to post my reports.
Andrew Schoener

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #278

• Chin
  • Gold Boarder
  • Fish Hard
No the fishing reports are for everyone. The captains have a different area to post there reports. Feel free to post in the Fishing reports section.

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #294

• FISHFINDER
  • Junior Boarder
I was at the SSP again today and will post about it under Fishing Reports. B)

Re:Ft. DeSoto & S. Skyway Pier report, 4-1-10 4 years 5 months ago #318

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 130
FishFinder the pomps are here and chewing as they say.