The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters (7/8)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters

Re: Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 2 years 7 months ago #19775

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
I just read almost this entire thread and I'm pretty surprised. I never had an issue with don. Actually to be totally honest, he kept me calm and patient while my reel took over 3 months and 2 attempts to get fixed. Even after all that my reel wasn't properly fixed. It wasn't his fault but he made sure I left that store with a working reel. Now that is service! I mainly have dealt with capt. Dave the times I've gone but the times I've dealt with don were not unpleasant. That's just my experience with tfo and I love that tackle shop. Personally if I had a prob with an employee I just wouldn't deal with them anymore and deal with the others.
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 2 years 7 months ago #19985

• Floridakey
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
My girlfriend and I are going on vacation in NC So she was looking for a bass fishing lake for me to fish when we go in May. She found a fishing website in NC where a lady posted this thread and said she and her husband had been in the same tackle shop. The lady stated she would never go back, as the guy was not only nasty and rude, but interrupting her and her husband when talking to another employee. Go figure its the same place.

Re: Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 2 years 1 week ago #31928

• 2fishshort
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
remember this

Re: Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 2 years 1 week ago #31951

• Floridakey
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
OK for those that don't know read this and see what is going on here.

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 3 weeks ago #68545

• Phisherman813
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fish on!
  • Thank you received: 208
Of course this is an old thread but I had an opinion I'd like to share......I've only been to Tampa-FO twice an the Tarpon location numerous times. The first time I went to the Tampa location was back in July,I had a buddy of mine with me as well who recommended the place after knowing I had frequently visited the Tarpon location. I was blown away by how much more inventory the Tampa location had to offer compared to the Tarpon location (don't get me mistaken, Tarpon still has a great inventory as well that I recommend to anyone in the location).So, I spent alot of time just looking,so much to look at, it also seemed a bearded man (who I'd later come to learn was Don) followed me an my friend from a distance to almost every isle my friend and I were in. This was just a few weeks after the store had been broken into (IF I have the right shop in mind) so I considered the extra "security" but still felt very offended an profiled. Especially since I ultimately spent much more money than planned. Upon cashing out Don seemed very uptight an snotty to my somewhat lack of saltwater intelligence while asking questions about replacement treble hooks. I get a good vibe from first impressions an his first impression absolutely SUCKED. The other guys seemed to be very nice.

Last night I stumbled upon this thread while google searching TampaFO's hours an such. So curiously, I ended up reading the first four pages of the thread an knew instantly this guy must be a problem customer service wise in general an it wasn't just me.

I had planned on visiting the store today anyway an after reading the thread an knowing how I'd been treated last time I'd make an effort to initiate more conversation with Don an see how it went. Much to my surprise as he casually walked by doing something, he asked me the usual questions any other sales rep or manager would such as needing help or finding things ok.....I got into a small convo of soft baits an other arti's with him (just for a test lol). He was an absolute 180 turnaround of what the general opinion of him is an even my opinion had been. He was nice as can be an even showed me some stuff that is presently very popular with local guides an captains. I have to say my slight recon mission of Don's customer service went over extremely well. I'm not posting this comment to argue with Captain Steve by any means or anyone else on here. Idk if maybe I just caught him on a good moment or the owner did get it into his head he needs to be a bit friendlier at times but he wasn't the same guy I dealt with a few months ago. Btw the two other younger fellows seemed really cool an friendly too though I didn't catch their names. I'd give this experience a complete positive change from my first experience at the place. Again not wanting to argue with anyone just wanted to share a positive opinion about someone I originally had a bad taste in my mouth with.

All in all there is going to a "Don" character almost anywhere an it's just a matter of dealing with that person in your own way. TFO is a "Toys R Us" to any fisherman an I'll always recommend it to friends.
Fish On!!!!

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 3 weeks ago #68548

• gmendez694
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Yeah, I've had a positive experience with Don despite what I always hear. I always ignore his more timid demeanor and ask him questions and even joke with him. Every time I've purchased a reel there I always joke and say, "Don said he'd spool me up with braid if I bought this reel," and stuff like that. He always jokes back. I think he's a pretty cool guy.

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69241

• scaleb26
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Amen...Don is a f-ing a$$hole. I go there to see Mike Cole.
Thanks,
Scott

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69278

• Sideshow
  • Thank you received: 155
I can deal with Don also , but the way he was disrespectful to my fiance crossed the line . I will never step foot in there again as long as he works there,

In honesty the real problem is Mr. Lee . He is the enabler of Dons issues. A real owner would be apologetic and straighten the issues out. I have been told by employee's that Mr. Lee doesn't see it as a real issue and says that it doesn't hurt the company.

In 2 years over 15 people on this site has had complaints and not one issue was addressed . That should say enough .
Free Reach Arounds :)

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69285

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 326
Watch how Tarpon Fishing Outfitters is managed. Don seems to pride himself on making people dislike him. But in reality he does does not care one tiny bit what people think of him. The issue really is that the store is profitable, and has good people and great products. But if there was a friendly guy or girl running the place and don's buying skills - for what they're worth without David and others like him steering inventory - that store would do 40% more in sales. It really could. Watch David build the store in Tarpon Springs and you'll see the difference between a people's person and a numbers guy. You need both but the face in the front of the store and the person being talked about in places like these forums is a face like David's.

Interesting that this thread gets brought back to life.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69286

• Sideshow
  • Thank you received: 155
Agreed Gary. Every time I've been to the Tarpon store I am greeted with smiling faces and a very helpful staff. The only issue with that store for me is it's so far away :( .

Can we send Don up there and bring the rest down here ? lol
Free Reach Arounds :)

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69289

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 531
scaleb26 wrote:
Amen...Don is a f-ing a$$hole. I go there to see Mike Cole.

Is Mike still working there? I thought he was at the Holiday store. FWIW, I don't go to Osborne Ave. a lot and when I do I don't ask questions. Never had a problem with Don at all but I also haven't had a lot of contact with him.

Gary is right.....Don and Capt. David are two completely different personalities. It's very obvious that Dave likes people and enjoys talking to them and people like him very much.

Mr. Lee hasn't fired Don so I don't think anything we say or think will make a bit of difference and there really aren't enough of us to make any sort of impact on their bottom line.
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69295

• john424
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
OK, lets clear this up!! There's a Don at the Tarpon( Holiday) store. Great guy. Don't get him confused with the other Don in Tampa. I don't know Don in the Tampa store so I can't comment about him. Only what I've read in the past 2 yrs!! If I ever deal with Tampa Don I'll be my own judge!!

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69301

• pickgrin
  • Thank you received: 704
The reason this thread got revived is because Phisherman had a GOOD experience with Don and wanted to give us an update. So let's keep an open mind folks and not hold onto grudges from the past. People do make positive changes in their lives and at work from time to time yaknow.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin
The following user(s) said Thank You: gmendez694, barrynfla, Phisherman813

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69313

• Phisherman813
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fish on!
  • Thank you received: 208
pickgrin wrote:
The reason this thread got revived is because Phisherman had a GOOD experience with Don and wanted to give us an update. So let's keep an open mind folks and not hold onto grudges from the past. People do make positive changes in their lives and at work from time to time yaknow.

Mike (pickgrin) is EXACTLY right....I kinda kicked myself after bringing this thread back up ONLY because it's thread title just looks terrible on the recent forums list to someone that doesn't actually put in the time to review the thread. But, yes it is to explain a second an much more improved visit an give a POSITIVE review of someone. The last thing I want is old, bad news being brought up an a great business (IMO) having bad words floated about itself once again. SO PLEASE people don't take this the wrong way...was just trying to spread some optimism back to TFO.

Btw....In case Mr.Lee is out there, I'd much rather support your shop than wal-mart or dicks so lower your power pro braid an mirrolure prices back to a competitive rate like everything else you carry...... I'm a wise shopper an found where you sneak in your profit margins LOL!! B)
Fish On!!!!

Bad Experience at Tampa Fishing Outfitters 10 months 2 weeks ago #69339

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
I have personally seen a change in Don in the last year, he appears to be much more personable. He says hello how can I help you and a few times when I could tell when the old Don was about to come out, he handed me off to someone else and walked away.