Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Snook numbers

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #23951

• CaptSteveBetz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fish to much? Cant be done. "Hemingway"
  • Thank you received: 71
There is no doubt that the snook bite has been good since last year.

As far as numbers go? I have not seen the numbers that were there before the freeze in the locations that I fish for them.

Big Snook? I think the large snook are hear because we have a closure. I still dont think we have a great population of small snook.

In my opinion I think it would be better to keep them off limits for a while longer.
How long? I dont know but I would rather be safe and have an awesome fishery of one of Fla. favorite game fish than to be just mediocre.

I dont like the thought of closing the season on any fish forever but for an amount of time to allow the rebuilding of the stock so that now and then it would be safe to take one would be much better.

I dont have any children so no worries of me having grandchildren,I do think its only fair to leave this world in as best shape for future beings as we can.
Capt. Steve Betz  
www.flatsandbay.com
813-727-8843          
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #23980

• Capt Mike
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
im going to start checking on the beaches for them next week. Water temps are in the right area i believe the big girls should be out there but not in full force.

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #24029

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 208
yup, I will be in Boca next week so Ill see if we have any down there yet.
Team BF

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #24036

• TeaPartyAngler
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
You guys ever see the snook ball up in the big channels? They seem to form big clouds on the east coast when they spawn in the spring. I was always taught that the bite that year was gonna be forecasted based on how big those balls were. The bigger the better. I don't know if you have that behavior here.

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #24037

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 295
We sure do, tea party. There is a famous guide here by the name of captain Scott Moore. Me and him were just talking about them today.

There are a lot of fish. It is the size of the ones we take that is important. I am writing a story with Scott about his recommendations this week. He was the founder of the Florida Guides Association and has a voice that might be heard,

I will post here when the article is on the front page. I know a lot of you literary geniuses just cannot wait for a new story ;)
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #24043

• Floridakey
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I am learning a lot from this post, with the most important being live bait. Is Captain Dave a biologist. he is mentioned a lot, does he work for the FWC?

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #24050

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Floridakey...
Click on the tab on top of the screen labeled about. You will captain Dave pic, just click on it and you e will read all about him. Great guy
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: Snook numbers 2 years 3 weeks ago #24060

• groupernugget
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I think the numbers are the best they have been since the freeze. The freeze was awful I hope I never see anything like it again. There were hundreds of dead huge breeder snook littering my canal every day. But they have bounced back pretty well I think. I agree that live bait is your best bet