The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Tarpon school (8/15)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Tarpon school

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26048

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Yep last thurs he did one at TFO and didn't cover everything he wanted to but still gave a heaping load of info, and as stated, i loved it,and knew i was closer to getting my poon this year after being there. I only learned of the seminar because I went to the one on the saturday with Capts CA Richardson and Blair Wiggins, and Mr. Vance Tice mentioned the tarpon seminar there and I mistakenly thought it was one of the "Tarpon School" classes, so i made it a mandatory occasion....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26519

• CaptTommyZ
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
As an added bonus, I have Dr. Kathy Guindon from the F.F.W.C.C. coming to speak for a few minutes about tarpon biology and tagging the fish. Dr. Giundon heads up all tarpon research done by F.F.W.C.C. and will be available to answer any questions you may have about tarpon reasearch. She will also have tarpon tagging kits available.
Capt. Tommy Z.
Dream Catcher Charters
Key West, Florida
www.dreamcatchercharters.com

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26525

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
That is wonderful, Captain, I was talking to Gina about the possibility of having someone from FWC talk to us about swabbing, and she mentioned the Doctor. Of course I failed to follow up.

Guys like you make idiots like me look (only slightly) less stupid then we actually are.

This school is going to be a winner. I remember that article you wrote on capmel years ago, and it was a real winner.

We are going to completely video this, and document it, and professionally edit every ounce of raw footage we shoot. We are gonna start shooting an hour before the class, and interview participants four weeks later when the class is done.

You will have a major impact with this class.

And we will work hard to share the knowledge you are kind enough to share with us all. There are no words that could express all of our appreciation,

Free pizza? Heck, captain, you are a cheap date, considering. Me and David will come up with some killer promotional giveaways. For the class and for the ending tournament day,

:)
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26578

• CaptTommyZ
  • Senior Boarder
poyssick wrote:
Guys like you make idiots like me look (only slightly) less stupid then we actually are.

I've just had a lot of practice doing seminars, that's all. B)
Capt. Tommy Z.
Dream Catcher Charters
Key West, Florida
The following user(s) said Thank You: poyssick

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26655

• Germ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
I want to catch tarpon before I end up selling all my gear from lack of use

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26659

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 332
CaptTommyZ wrote:
As an added bonus, I have Dr. Kathy Guindon from the F.F.W.C.C. coming to speak for a few minutes about tarpon biology and tagging the fish. Dr. Giundon heads up all tarpon research done by F.F.W.C.C. and will be available to answer any questions you may have about tarpon reasearch. She will also have tarpon tagging kits available.

definately gonna need some kits!
Team BF

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #26660

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
There will be tackle specials. Selected by the pros and configured in cheap, mid, and high-end. Spinning, conventional, and flyrods.

And practice and experience is what it is all about, tommy, I used to be the talking head for Apple for a couple of years, and loved doing seminars. Loved it. You have the skill set, for sure lol.

But a lot has to do with personality, experience, and self confidence. You are a pro and know it and happen to be a cool guy. That is a mix that makes for excellent seminars and educational opportunity. The people coming are going to be doing something that is very rare, and playing this game at a level few people can ever do. As much as you teach your clients, having you at the start, and then fishing four weekends with experienced anglers on the boats is going to create a teaching opportunity like few others.

I hope you might fish with us all one day, but just having you start it out is going to make it ten times what it would Have been. And the videos and notes and pictures and participation by attendees is going to only add to the effectiveness of the effort. You know by now how much we all appreciate this, Captain.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27232

• dkknaebel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Since we will be at the Harborage on Friday getting the boat ready, I found a great deal

$40 to Spend on Food and Drink: www.livingsocial.com/deals/242646?ref=conf-jp&rpi=61360250
The deal is only available for 45 more hours, so scoop it up soon!

I know we'll put it to good use.
Always ready to fish

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27247

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Unfortunately i'm gonna miss the first class cuz I was reminded of something that was planned even before this school was and I can't miss it. Is this gonna get in the way of being able to participate the following week?
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27255

• Parker21
  • Junior Boarder
Just bought mine. Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27376

• CaptTommyZ
  • Senior Boarder
Do we have a head count so far?
Capt. Tommy Z.
Dream Catcher Charters
Key West, Florida

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27378

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
CaptTommyZ wrote:

Captain Tommy, it looks like we have about 60-70 people as of now....not sure how many boats we have. We are going to send an email to everyone that registered to make sure they're still coming so we can get a more accurate count and I'll let you know asap
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27383

• deathroll
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
DavidT wrote:
CaptTommyZ wrote:

Captain Tommy, it looks like we have about 60-70 people as of now....not sure how many boats we have. We are going to send an email to everyone that registered to make sure they're still coming so we can get a more accurate count and I'll let you know asap

60-70 "tarpon rookie" fishermen? Any count on the number of available "experienced tarpon fisherman"? The original plan called for there to be an "experienced tarpon fisherman" on each boat. Is this still the plan? Might these anglers be rotated onto different volunteer boats throughout the various outings?

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27386

• CaptTommyZ
  • Senior Boarder
I am very sure that a good number of those "rookies" are signed up for the seminar portion only. The seminar part is free and open the public.
Capt. Tommy Z.
Dream Catcher Charters
Key West, Florida

Re: Tarpon school 2 years 4 months ago #27396

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Man, I am so excited for this! It couldn't come fast enough. I'm so fortunate my work let me participate. Can't wait!!
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL