The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets?

Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25788

• Andrew Benak
  • Thank you received: 141
What do you look for what deciding to fishing this flat or that flat? How do you decide if your going to fish these mangroves or those mangroves? What are you willing to share to me and everyone else that we may not look for or even do that can make us that much better fishermen? Just want to learn as much as I can so hope you guys can help ha.
111 Outdoors
Hebrews 11:1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25792

• curt t
  • Fresh Boarder
On mangrove shorelines find the section that has the deepest water, and or a creek mouth. On flats find large mullet schools and stay in the area.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25797

• Carolinaboy11
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
For trout I look for 4-6 ft deep healthy thick grass flats with lots of mullet.
Three-fourths of the Earth’s surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the
lawn.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25799

• jerrbare
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Tuesday 2 of us fished literally acres of mullet using cut ladyfish, spoons and Mirrodines for 8 hours-not one redfish. Did get several trout 18-19 inches. The mullet surrounded my kayak for hours-go figure.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25816

• Shallow Minded
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
For flats, I like any edge I can find - broken grass, prop scar, pothole, or edge of a sandy channel more than the middle of solid thick grass. I'm not much of an expert on mangroves, but I do like points (even tiny ones) and areas that look like they should be just outside of the strongest currents, like the shoreline just down current of a narrow area that concentrates the current. Any area with large mullet is worth a try, but I get pretty impatient staying in the same spot too long if it doesn't pay off. I sometimes fish with a guy who will just pound an area with mullet to death for up to an hour even without a bite. I have to admit, a lot of the time he does prove me wrong.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25821

• CaptSteveBetz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fish to much? Cant be done. "Hemingway"
  • Thank you received: 77
Invest 20 bucks in the book Skinny by Mel Berman and Gary P. It should be of a big help to you.

Attend seminars every chance you get,most are free and should help also.

Spend a LOT of time on the water looking and learning.

IMO I think you really need to learn how to fish our waters and put your Kayak guiding Gig on hold for a few years.
Capt. Steve Betz  
www.flatsandbay.com
813-727-8843          

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25822

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
WisconsinSharkFisherman wrote:
What do you look for what deciding to fishing this flat or that flat? How do you decide if your going to fish these mangroves or those mangroves? What are you willing to share to me and everyone else that we may not look for or even do that can make us that much better fishermen? Just want to learn as much as I can so hope you guys can help ha.

For grass flats:
1. Grass with sand holes
2. Access to open water
3. Mullet (keep in mind the mullet aren't [commonly] a prey fish for the targeted species, rather, keep in mind "like sized fish swim together."

For mangroves:
1. Irregularities such as bays, points, inlets, etc.
2. Access to open water.
3. Whitebait

I'd love to show you how it's done sometime. But if I take you to the flats, I expect you to put me on some sharks another day :thumbsup:
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25823

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
I like to use "the force" :laughing:

But seriously, when I go out I look for grassy areas on the flats and cast around the edges and inside.
I think water depth is important, seems if I'm in water deeper than 3' then I'm catching ladies and trout and cats.
< 3' and its reds and an occaisional snook. I also got the Skinny and read it. There's lots of good info in there. Like
watching for birds on the flats. A lot of times they will tell you where the fish are.

But I think the most important thing is don't spend too much time in one area if your not getting anything. I usually
cast maybe 10 times around an area and if I don't get a bite I move on. I like to keep moving unless I know I'm on
em. I usually cover a lot of ground when I go out and cast a lot. Eventually it pays off.

Some places I've been to many times so I kinda know where the areas are where there is usually fish. But that doesn't
mean I just go to those places. I try to mix it up a bit and try different places even if my gut tells me its worthless. Sometimes
you will surprise yourself. Thats really fun.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25826

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
cwegescheide wrote:
I like to use "the force" :laughing:

But seriously, when I go out I look for grassy areas on the flats and cast around the edges and inside.
I think water depth is important, seems if I'm in water deeper than 3' then I'm catching ladies and trout and cats.
< 3' and its reds and an occaisional snook.

Yes this notion of depth is very good advice to bring up. I, too, experience the same occurrences in regards to depth.
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25854

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 329
When targeting snook I like to find a mangrove edge near the mouth of a cut or one that has deeper water. Naturally when water flows in and out of an area it will create "cuts". In these cuts fish will sit and wait for bait to come swimming through to eat. Also like to target snook on docks and anywhere you can find concrete.rocky structures in shallower waters.
For reds I also like mangrove edges and oyster bars. Every oyster bar in Tampa Bay has had a redfish on it at some point this year. Also deeper channel cuts on the edges of flats and on flats that have shelly potholes. Look at the potholes, some will be just sand, some will have a rocky or shelly bottom, reds like that. They can also be caught around docks as well.
Trout- find a flat in tampa bay and fish it. They also congregate really well on docks at night.
Team BF

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25866

• Andrew Benak
  • Thank you received: 141
FishingBigGuy wrote:
WisconsinSharkFisherman wrote:

For grass flats:
1. Grass with sand holes
2. Access to open water
3. Mullet (keep in mind the mullet aren't [commonly] a prey fish for the targeted species, rather, keep in mind "like sized fish swim together."

For mangroves:
1. Irregularities such as bays, points, inlets, etc.
2. Access to open water.
3. Whitebait

I'd love to show you how it's done sometime. But if I take you to the flats, I expect you to put me on some sharks another day :thumbsup:

I think I can arrange for that! lol

Great advice by the way everyone! Thanks
111 Outdoors
Hebrews 11:1

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #25986

• capttim
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
there is no better way than T>O>W Time On the Water

The best way to learn is to troll a shore line see if it is productive, if not move on that is how to find fish on mangroves

Fish mullet
go do it trial and error my friend, mostly error, but you will find fish but you gotta put in the time!
Capt. Tim Whitfield
fishing ALL of Tampa bay and beyond
www.swiftfishcharters.com
www.teamslotlimit.com
813 714 0889
www.slotlimitradio.com

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #26046

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
Beside all the great points already made, i found being a wader, that taking your time and really working an area can be more educational and productive.

Re: Your Flats/Inshore Fishing Tips/Secerets? 2 years 4 months ago #26051

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I know its not a secret but ...GOOGLE EARTH has helped me get more success just knowing where the troughs and cuts and deeper mangroves are have helped tremendously....Take notes and try to find landmarks to create accurate positioning and get out there and sling some baits...live or artificial....im sure its been said before but i wanted to reiterate it.