Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Adding weights to nets?

Adding weights to nets? 1 year 11 months ago #26207

• firecat1981
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
All this talk got me thinking, I just have a cheap 7ft 3/8 inch mesh net that I use. If there is bait around I can usually do ok with it, but wouldn't mind a faster sinking rate. Can I just sew some extra weights on to it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Adding weights to nets? 1 year 11 months ago #26208

• Kenny
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sure, you can add weight if needed.

Just be sure to add it evenly ( every foot or so) around the entire length of the lead line.

If you look around you can find weights that crimp on to the existing lead line , or you can sew them.

Re: Adding weights to nets? 1 year 11 months ago #26214

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 297
Seems like that would work definitely, but I'm not a cast net expert...maybe Captain Dave will reply to this. You could always give it a try if the weights snap on and off easily so if it doesn't work good you could just snap them off again...
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Adding weights to nets? 1 year 11 months ago #26222

• rodman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
i've added weights to my cast net a couple of times, i bought them at mr. lees place , figure how much extra weight you want, count how weights you bought to make up the weight you desire, now spread out your net on the ground, count how many spaces you have inbetween the leads on your net and divide the ammount of leads you purchased into the spaces on your net, that tells you how far to space them out correctly, hope this is not confusing, it worked ferfect for me, be careful, net can get heave quickly,
Kris Greene Custom Rods
krisgreenecustomrods.com

Re: Adding weights to nets? 1 year 11 months ago #26235

• CaptSteveBetz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fish to much? Cant be done. "Hemingway"
  • Thank you received: 71
You can buy crimp on weights. I would not waste my money on a cheap net. All you will have is a cheap net with more weight that wont sink properly anyway.
Capt. Steve Betz  
www.flatsandbay.com
813-727-8843          

Re: Adding weights to nets? 1 year 11 months ago #26397

• michaeltsully
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Last year I was having issues with my cheap cast nets so I went into tfo and capt david helped me pick out the perfect net for the type of fishing I do. I ponyed up the money and spent 180.00 on a awesome 10' 3/8 lee fisher baitbuster and I'll tell u what that made all the dif in the world. Those cheap nets are to light. Just go spend the money and take good care of it and you should have it for a long time too come!! Good luck
One day, my ship will come. And with my luck, I'll be waiting at the airport!