The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!?

Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27954

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
It was the darnedest thing. Went out last night to wade, netted myself about 25 small (3-4 inch) greenbacks along with some pinfish. Right into my flow-troll within 10 seconds and then off wading, didn't over-crowd the bucket.

Get to my spot, reach into the bucket and all the greenies but two are mouth-open dead. Is it because it's been so hot at night that the water is deoxygenated? Felt like it's been on the 80s past few nights. Never lost that much bait wading with a flow-troll. But, I did jump one snook with the greenie I had.

Dan
Wade the flats for r/s/st/f with greenbacks or chubs on a Carolina rig. Moving between spots, I like to throw gold spoons or topwater (in the morning). Throw soft plastics on a 1/8th jighead (z-man minnowz) for flounder and trout in the winter. Kayak fish also, troll a spoon or lipped Rapala...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27955

• ThisGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
They need to be able to swim constantly, if the flow-troll wasn't upright they can't swim in a circle and pretty much suffocate. I think a flow troll is just too small to keep them alive even though fresh water is always coming. They just don't have enough room to swim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanTheMan

Re: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27956

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 326
Change in water salinity will do it every time.

So will too many baits, but I would not know what that means because we have never succeeded in completely filling one of our wells.

:)

Dirt in the pipe will do it too. I have had black mud kill every bait in the well.

Round corners on your well. If you cannot keep enough alive, what you can keep alive is enough. Try less baits and chum with one injured bait at a time. It works. We throw thirty but two will draw a boil just as fast at times. Faster.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanTheMan

Re: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27959

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
Maybe it was a combination of the heat and a change in salinity. I've waded exactly the same way, with twice as many greenies, more than 100 times and never had bait die like that. It was very weird.

I'm gonna stick with pins and tiger chubs (killifish) with the water this warm, the bait was lethargic. Fished them with lots of success all winter and haven't had much need to change out. You don't get that instant aggressive bite from snook that you get with greenies, but it's still solid. Reds tear it all up.

Dan
Wade the flats for r/s/st/f with greenbacks or chubs on a Carolina rig. Moving between spots, I like to throw gold spoons or topwater (in the morning). Throw soft plastics on a 1/8th jighead (z-man minnowz) for flounder and trout in the winter. Kayak fish also, troll a spoon or lipped Rapala...

Re: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27961

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 326
Chubs!!!! Good call. Every time somebody says something like that - that highlights how often we leave something our when we give adivice - it shows how much more valuable an entire community is as opposed to one-man or two-man teams. Forums like the do a lot.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27965

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
The chubs are pretty easy to find. Just about every stretch of sandy beach has them south of Gandy. Easiest to get when the tide's out. They school within a 1-5 feet from the water's edge in 12 inches or less of water.

One trick I learned was these fresh/brackish water drainage ditches are great spots to net some chubs. They don't live long in the salt, but they wiggle for a few minutes and it beats no bait.

Dan

Re: Greenback dying in flow-troll!?!? 2 years 2 months ago #27991

• Lostmans1
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 281
we had this discussion a few months ago- Flow trolls are good for about 20 shrimp and thats about it. When your wading or yakking with a flow troll and the bucket is tiltled with water "moving through" it there is actually very very little water in that bucket.
Team BF