The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review

Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29355

• firecat1981
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
I was looking for some new braided line a little while ago and was tired of spending money on power pro or spiderwire. I picked up a cheap box of Omniflex to try out, it was only like $7.

First thing I noticed is that it looks like it's actually braided, instead of twisted and waxed together. It has a different feel to it, it almost feels thicker even though it is still very small diameter.

I have used it for 4 or 5 fishing trips now and I can tell you it has it's good and bad points. First the awesome thing is NO WIND KNOTS! There was no break in period, no loops, nothing for me. It feels very predictable to me too, if that makes any sense. I was able to cast well, I didn't notice a major difference. The downside is it is not as smooth as other braids when you are reeling in, I got used to it after the first trip, but it caught me by surprise at first.

Bottom line is I will gladly trade some smoothness for no more wind knots so I'll buy some more soon.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29356

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
very cool thanks for the tip, I will have to check it out.

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29357

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
Have you ever tried Ohero? It's cheaper than Power Pro and I've never once got a wind knot since I've been using it...
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29370

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
I have gotten some wind knots with the ohero..it is less expensive than powerpro and definitely much better, but I have had some poor experiences with a spool that was twisted when it was put on and got a wind knot on almost every cast... however I have had a few others that were just fine....I am going to try spiderwire invisibraid and Zebco Omniflex on a couple rods next time I respool and see if they lasts longer...I fish pretty hard and almost every day for a little while (well at least 4 or 5 times a week) and the ohero started to wear out after like three weeks, It got kind of "cottony" like the waxed coating is gone...It didnt break or get weak but just isnt the same and a few times with a wind knot or other malfunction it snapped upon casting and sent the plug/jig flying into the air and had me chasing it across the flat.

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29371

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
DaveT you are a live baiter predominantly....right. I always throw the artificials and that tends to make the line more susceptible to windknots which is probably why I have had some...but the one spool was just terrible( the bright yellow in 14 or 15lb) on a Penn powergraph that works like new...

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29373

• DavidT
That's crazy. Yes, I mostly use live bait, but I use lures a lot also and never had a problem with wind knots at all with Ohero...I don't even know if there is a plastic coating on Ohero is there? I have had mine for so long that I don't even remember, but I don't recall it having a coating like Power Pro does. Honestly, I've had my same braid I put on over a year ago and the spool is still almost full. But I only fish once a week...sometimes only once every two weeks...especially lately I have been so busy, I'm lucky to get out once every two weeks...
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29377

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
my schedule is kinda weird and i work around it...I fish only a couple places mostly Cypress Point and Courtney Cambell Causeway by the hyatt...Until I find a better job, I will make becoming a better fisherman part of my job...I hope to one day be a Captain (I have dreamed about it since I was a young kid) maybe a mate first but I have to find a captain who needs one, LOL. As far as the line goes, I like Ohero the best so far but have heard real good stuff about the Spiderwire invisibraid, and now would like to check out the Zebco stuff, But I like to support my guys at the Tampa Fishing Outfitters and the Ohero is the stuff they are putting out there, so I tried it and am pretty satisfied, just want to check out some others..

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29393

• 509revo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85
Hey, guys!

Look what I found:

Bill
Nothing so infuriates champions of “Diversity” as much as an opinion diverse from their own.

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29395

• firecat1981
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
I haven't used Ohero, and I'm not 100% satisfied with the Zebco, but so far it is what I like best for my style of drowning shrimp. It did stand up well to a 4' bonnet head this past weekend.

Re: Zebco Omniflex braided line Mini review 2 years 2 months ago #29396

• DavidT
509revo wrote:
Hey, guys!

Look what I found:

Bill

Rieumont for Mayor!