The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Attention all anglers! (1/2)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Attention all anglers!

Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30020

Hi everyone!

My name is Brittany Stenfors. I used to do some editing for this site, and right now I am writing an article on different types of knives for an online magazine called, Hungry to Survive. I would like to add a segment on the best knives to use while fishing. I spoke with Gary, and he suggested that I bring the question to this forum. It would be nice to have some avid anglers opinions on the matter!
If you could provide me with your name or company, how long you've been fishing for, and what kind of knife is best to take fishing, that would be an awesome addition to the article, as well as, help other not so experienced anglers! Thank you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30024

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 326
Hey fishing friends :)

Brittany is a friend of mine who's done editing for me until DaveT started doing it himself to make our workflow function more effectively. But she's a very cool young lady and a good editor and excellent author. She is being paid to write an article about fishing knives, and I told her that you all would give her far more feedback on the question than I could.

When she write the article, she's gonna write two of them. One for her client and one for the site. So the more information you feed her, the better the article will be. Remember, a lot of people that come to the site -- the vast majority -- do not come to the forums, or only do briefly and only to specific ones (like reports, for example, or offshore, or kayak).

So could you all help her our and our other readers as a result? Thanks :)
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30079

• Kenny
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I personally don't take a knife fishing.

With the use of braided line a knife is almost obsolete when it comes to cutting/trimming terminal tackle.

If chumming or using cut bait is in order I use a product called Sea Scissors , it makes short work of
chunking up bait and you don't need a surface to cut on.

When it comes to filleting my catch nothing beats the old stand by , A good ole Rapala wood handle Fillet knife.

Hope this helps.

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30080

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 62
I also use the 7.5" Rapala Fish n Fillet knife. They're really sharp as long as you keep them cleaned. I have a couple people who swear by the Wusthof brands of knives. They're pretty pricey though.

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30081

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
As far as a knife for cutting line and stuff like that I just use a razor blade knife because it cuts braid nicely as well as fluro, and when its dull I just change out the blade. For cutting bait I just use a cheap $1 bait knife and for filleting I still haven't found one I really like. Not sure if this helps much but hope it does.
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30084

I second those who mentioned the Rapala knives. They are extremely sharp and You can buy them in a pack of two. one fillet knife and one bait knife. I've had mine for 3 years now and is still holding strong. of course i sharpen it every once in a while too but they get the job done well.
"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime!"

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30085

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
I got a leatherman that comes in handy. The blade is good and on occaision I need a screw driver or even scissors. I have been fishing about a year but did a lot of crappie fishing when I was a kid.

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30086

• FishinFoy$1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I have taken a 18 inch piece of simple flat board and attached a filet knife and its case to it so I have a make shift cutting board with me at all times while on the kayak or boat. I like to use cut bait a lot, this also helps keep your boat clean while chumming and it is a place to keep your cut bait after it is sliced nicely ready to use so it is not dripping all over the place.

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30088

• deathroll
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Neither my fishing friends nor myself are sophisticated (smart/rich) enough to worry about our knives.

We use an assortment of knives/cutting devices depending upon how we're fishing (kayak or power boat) and what we're doing (prepping line/hooks, cutting bait, releasing teethy fish, filleting, etc.).

We use:
1. a set of fingernail clippers
2. the cutting blades inside a pair of pliers (nice dual role tool)
3. any very inexpensive fishing knife
4. cheap fillet knife

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30089

• crboggs
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285
My family has used Cutco knives for years. So when I moved to Florida, my parents gave me a "Fisherman's Solution" for Christmas.

www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=5721

Solid knife IMHO.

I use a pair of the Rapala scissors for cutting braid and flouro line.
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30186

• CaptSteveBetz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fish to much? Cant be done. "Hemingway"
  • Thank you received: 75
I carry filet knives with me to filet clients fish but the handiest item I have on the boat for cutting things such as,Bait, Braided fishing line,Mono, steel leader and even electrical wire, is a pair of Sea Scissors.

In my opinion they are the best scissors on the market for home and work.
I have one pair that I have had for about 3 years. They are still very sharp and will still cut braided line fishing line.

I only recently got a new pair because the handles on the old pair are cracking(probably from the sun,they stay on the boat at all times in a rod holder)

Buy a pair of Sea Scissors and you will wonder how you got by with out them.

www.seascissors.com/seascissors.html
Capt. Steve Betz  
www.flatsandbay.com
813-727-8843          

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30195

• pickgrin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 691
Check out the handiness and well thought out features of this little gadget by Boomerang Tool Company. I had already seen "the snip" advertised for $14.95 and thought it was a great idea at a nice price point when I saw it. I stopped by their booth at ICast today and had a nice talk with one of the principles Thomas who lives in Hawaii - he handed me one as a gift as I was leaving - Thanks dude! One of the perks of being with the "media" I guess - LOL

The-SNIP-Features-300x300.png
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30198

• Kenny
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
pickgrin wrote:
Check out the handiness and well thought out features of this little gadget by Boomerang Tool Company. I had already seen "the snip" advertised for $14.95 and thought it was a great idea at a nice price point when I saw it. I stopped by their booth at ICast today and had a nice talk with one of the principles Thomas who lives in Hawaii - he handed me one as a gift as I was leaving - Thanks dude! One of the perks of being with the "media" I guess - LOL

The-SNIP-Features-300x300.png

Neat gadget . . . And not to poop in your corn flakes but...

a $ 2.50 pair of Fiskers childrens saftey scissors does the same job.

I have 100lb braid on my "going deep" combo and the Fiskers cut it like butter.

Just keepin it simple.

I'm just saying...

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30201

• pickgrin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 691
Hey - no fair pooping in my corn flakes :angry-cry:

I'm the same way though with cheap but functional options usually - but as I said - "the snip" that I now have was as cheap as it gets :smiley-danc

I'm digging the retractable part though - always right there whenever you need it - that handiness over years time (hopefully) would probably more than pay for itself even if I had paid full price.

And to get back on topic, the same company also makes a retractable fishing knife (and also pliers) as well - pretty cool
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin

Re: Attention all anglers! 2 years 1 month ago #30212

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 326
I eat Captain Crunch and use scissors (Sea Scissors as per Captain Steve). But those clippers are cool and cheap I think. That company has the best $20 pliers I have seen about to come to market next month. Gorgeous well-made stuff. And scissors too.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...
  • Page: