The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Trolling Speeds (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trolling Speeds

Trolling Speeds 4 years 3 months ago #333

• Wes
  • Platinum Boarder
Question to the pros:

What are the best trolling speeds for:
- Spanish Macs (using spoons)
- King Macs (blue runners or spoons)
- Channel Grouper (planers with artificial)

Please let me know in MPH or Knots, not RPM. My gauge is off but my GPS shows speed.

THANKS!!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Trolling Speeds 4 years 3 months ago #334

• livetofish
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
I'm certainly not a pro but 4-5.5 MPH works for me. Live bait is the slowest I can to keep the lines from getting tangled. I vary the speed based on what I'm trolling and the conditions of the seas. Some days a little change in speed makes the difference. Sometime I get hits only going north and others goings south. Hey whatever works right.

Re:Trolling Speeds 4 years 3 months ago #341

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 129
livetofish is right. Whatever works. I will answer the questions to the best of my ability.
Question to the pros:

What are the best trolling speeds for:
- Spanish Macs (using spoons)

Answer - Planners, downriggers or trolling weights you can use them all for trolling. 4 mph and up to 9 mph sometimes. It also depends on what piece of equipment your using and how deep you want the spoon to go. Example using a 1oz trolling weight with 20 feet of line out at 9 mph, your spoon will be skipping the surface or having trolling a 6oz weight with 200 feet of line out at 2 mph you will bouncing the bottom.
Snag!!!! I will call you and finish this but you get the point.

- King Macs (blue runners or spoons)

Answer - Trolling spoons and hardbait or jigs is a completely different ballgame then live bait. Example trolling a livebait your most likely going to bump troll and if you using a trolling weight instead of a downrigger or planer the trolling weight should have a keel on it. I will call you and finish this.

- Channel Grouper (planers with artificial)

Answer - Something like a Manns stretch is the easiest way to do it. Downriggers with plastic tail jigs like bubba's (Vance Tice's old jig comapny) is the most effective I will call you on this!

Please let me know in MPH or Knots, not RPM. My gauge is off but my GPS shows speed.

Boy I type slow and I have to call you anyway! There is so much more that I can tell you faster then I can type.