The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Fishing new areas and old (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fishing new areas and old

Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26650

• bassin assassin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 350
Went out with Dave (Stormy) yesterday to check out some new areas. Launched at Williams Park around 7am yesterday and went towards the bay. We worked the south bank on the way out with some topwater lures but had no luck. We reached the mouth of the river and went south. It is very shallow there and Dave caught a big ray that gave him some good rod pulling action. We headed over to Bird Island. Dave caught a decent size trout near it on a popping cork with a DOA shrimp in clear/gold sparkle. We began working in between the islands and I caught a 22" trout on the 3" RT mullet in shad flash color. We continued down the south side of Sunken Island. I picked up a small 15" redfish. There were some good mangroves on this shoreline with a nice dropoff nearby. Dave caught a small snook on a Zoom fluke in pearl. I lost two decent snook a few minutes later. We came to a little flat near the end. The water was shallow and I cast the same lure up in there. Bringing it by a large pothole, I felt a solid strike and set the hook. A good snook exploded to the surface. I fought the fish all the way around the boat and she put up a great fight. Finally got her in the net and she measured just over 31". We worked around the southernmost point but had no more luck so we moved on.

We headed over to work the Bullfrog Creek area. We worked the flat as we went to the mouth but had no luck. That place is very scenic. We worked a lot of the area near the mouth and just inside. I lost two decent snook near mangrove points near the channel. Other than that we had no luck. We headed back out and across the channel to work north of the mouth of the Alafia. That area was a wasteland and was more sandy than anything. We had no strikes at all. We decided to head back into the river and work some docks.

We went to the first flat on the left past the 41 bridge and I lost a decent snook on a good dock in that cove. We headed farther up river. The current was ripping and my battery was dying by this time. We worked more docks on the north side but to no avail. I decided we need to hit my money docks. We headed farther up river and worked docks on the north and south sides. I lost a decent snook on one dock and then lost a nicer one a few docks later on the 4" shadflash. Dave also lost one snook on the fluke and two on the 4" shad flash, one of which was large. By this time it was almost dark so we headed for the ramp. It was fun checking out some new areas, but good to know that places you haven't fished for a while still produce.

22inchtroutbetweenSunkenandBirdislands.jpg

31inchsnooknearSunkenIslandon5-4-12.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26651

• DudsOne
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Great fishing and report.

Re: Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26669

• navigator
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Hey Dave, good to see your reports again! We got a late start and were out on that big flat South of the river from about 6-9 p.m. too. We found some small trout, a few ladies, and a couple cats to pull our lines. We will have to hook up again sometime!

Re: Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26672

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
Kicking @$$ as usual Dave and Dave.

Re: Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26675

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
Great report Dave as usual! Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26687

• Reel Till U Feel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sure is nice to see how healthy the Snook are looking.
Capt.Mark Magni
Reel Till U Feel Charters
reeltillufeel.wix.com/captain-mark-magni
813-610-5559

Re: Fishing new areas and old 2 years 4 months ago #26826

• bassin assassin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 350
Thanks guys. It was fun fishing new areas. That snook had to be one of the healthiest I have caught in a while. She was fat. Stormy took a cool video of the catch and got some underwater video of it too.