The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind

pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27130

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
We did a little wade fishing for once hoping for some reds but reds seem strangely absent lately. Wonking tides and winds mucked up the water with grass and we were hoping to do a lot of topwater... "hoping"... had some blowups

I got sick of the grass on pretty much every lure and broke out a gold/sparkle DOA shrimp and made 2 casts to my side and nothing and next cast straight out over the drop off and popped it twice and went for 3rd pop but ended up a hookset instead and line started burning out but fish seemed confused on where to go but got it close and was a 25" or so snook, decent but skinny... actually my first snook I've ever gotten on a flat. After that we caught some trout n ladies... joy...

Then about 6pm we moved to a different spot up the street which was mostly a grass flat and surprisingly not many trout. Was getting dark so I settled into a spot and started topwatering and hit a trout (joy) right off a sand spot a long ways off. Then getting mad at grass so started thrashing my topwater to get grass off and stopped it then BAMMMM, of course I missed it then more but was on top a new technique and started to just trash it as hard as I could and got another explosion but was just a trout (joy). In same spot started making huge long casts to a feeding zone and started thrashing and just got blasted and reel started screaming and fish got 2 jumps and even far away I could see it was a good snook, then it took off taking line and i fudged up and had rod tip up and reached up to tighten drag and took hand back to reel and no fish... uggggggg

Dave (bass assassin) personally checked the underwater conditions with his own eyes if you know what I mean :laughing: ....

The other dave lost a big snook as well and as it fell dark being out on a shark infested flat with lures covered in smelly jelly didn't seem like such a great idea so headed back but water started getting deeper... oh geez..... but made it back eventually with all limbs and the boyz intact.

No reds... seems odd. If you wanna see trout pix sorry lol

Then went again today and was kinda dead, we both caught tons of trout(joy) and ladyfish, Dave (Bass assassin) lost a big snook and caught a blacktip shark (of course on the shadflash)

oh and again Dave (bass assassin) personally checked the underwater conditions with his own eyes if you know what I mean :laughing: ....

I threw DOA shrimp right behind me after I had been walking on corner of pothole and was getting pecked at then THUMP and set hook a big fish started burning then nothing... ugggggg

The good fish were mostly out off dropoff way out and the trout were mostly close in literally right next to you. There was a lot fast moving pods hitting baitfish but didn't get any bites casting into them.

I did have a big shark spook about 15 ft next to me and made HUGE boil at it bolted, I think I spooked it and think it was a big hammerhead so as always be careful out there! And the stingray shuffled saved me several times...

ok now for the important part... Who's taking me tarpon fishing!!! :excited001:

IMGP0696-a.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27131

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
:laughing:

Nice, man! I don't even like wading in the light..when it's dark you can bet your arse I'm out of the water lol. Not even just sharks, but stingrays too...I've been called a wuss before but my comeback is always, "I haven't broke any bones or gotten bit or stung by any strange fish, so I'll be a wuss!" :laughing:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27132

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
DavidT wrote:
:laughing:

Nice, man! I don't even like wading in the light..when it's dark you can bet your arse I'm out of the water lol. Not even just sharks, but stingrays too...I've been called a wuss before but my comeback is always, "I haven't broke any bones or gotten bit or stung by any strange fish, so I'll be a wuss!" :laughing:

WUSS!! lol jk

It is kinda weird but I guess if your time it's your time.

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27145

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 130
good job
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2fishshort

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27148

• Reel Till U Feel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
Stormy - That’s a cool Snook Photo B)
Capt.Mark Magni
Reel Till U Feel Charters
reeltillufeel.wix.com/captain-mark-magni
813-610-5559

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27174

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
Reel Till U Feel wrote:
Stormy - That’s a cool Snook Photo B)

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27175

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
CaptainDavid wrote:
good job

Hey captn Dave... off topic here but does your shop sell consignment gear, I got some new spey rods I need to sell.

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27184

• navigator
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Sounds like a good time , except the underwater viewing! :laughing:

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27185

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
navigator wrote:

lol... no comment

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27224

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
navigator wrote:

for safeties sake maybe we'd better get him some of those floaty arm bands.

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27230

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Nice fishin! Got some nice ones. Yep, that grass can drive ya nuts throwing topwater for sure. Sometimes wading in murkey water gives me the heebejeebees. I had a big manatee scare the shinola out of me once. If its not good visibility I will stick to the kayak.

Re: pinellas point - left luxury boats behind 2 years 3 months ago #27256

• stormy
  • Expert Boarder
cwegescheide wrote:
Nice fishin! Got some nice ones. Yep, that grass can drive ya nuts throwing topwater for sure. Sometimes wading in murkey water gives me the heebejeebees. I had a big manatee scare the shinola out of me once. If its not good visibility I will stick to the kayak.

I had a run in with a big bull shark on the same flat and had to kick away a few smaller blacktips there too, maybe I need socks that look like dock posts and then they wont notice ;)