The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: she-dog snookin (1/2)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: she-dog snookin

she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28634

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I had the opportunity to wade for a little bit at Cypress Point this morning and remembering what I read yesterday on the favorite lure topic..I recalled Capt. Mike Cole saying that his favorite bait was a She-Dog and knowing he is an excellent snook fisherman, I tied my bone/chrome one on and went to chucking it. After a while I started getting some nice blow-ups and finally he/she was buttoned on tight. The fight was tremendous, about four nice jumps and like three screaming runs the beast was tired and mine. I took a couple of quick pics on my old crappy scratched phone and revived it for like three minutes and I released my trophy back into the drink...I measured it on my rod and after i got to the truck it was 29 or 30 inches long.... My phone unfortunately takes real bad pics and doesn't seem to email either but I will try and give proof later. I love topwater action, there is nothing like it! Biggest snook on a plug to-date. I am still excited about it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28636

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
-7.jpg

-6_2012-06-12.jpg

Here are the not so great pics....but it is proof

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28639

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
It didn't happen if we can't see clear pictures :laughing:

Just kidding, nice fish dude!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28641

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
I know i am in need of a better phone. the lens that takes the photos is real scratched up. but it is proof... lol , the old trusty makes great calls, lol

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28648

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 548
Very well done!! :thumbsup:
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28649

• kayakangler88
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Looks like you have Cypress Point on lock! Nice Snook! We might be fishing very close to each other :thumbsup:

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28650

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 62
I fished there Sun with no luck. Saw other anglers without much action either. :angry: Prob need to get there way early in the morning.

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28651

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 548
Do you fish in the deep hole (looks like it might be a dredge hole) or go south along the edge of the hole and turn west parallel to the bridge?
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28652

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Awesome! right on..

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28657

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
Yeah, I fished there once and it was way too populated by swimmers and jet skiiers for fish to be around. I didn't even get a nibble...I'm guessing if you went there early in the morning though before everyone got there it'd be a nice spot. It definitely has the characteristics of a fishy spot
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28658

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
It used to be a great spring snook spot, but you had to get there early. I used to fish along the "other" beach out there using topwater baits and jerkbaits.

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28666

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
I have heard of alot of anglers going south and walking or paddling to the north edge of the causeway leading to Howard Franklin and having some pretty good luck... But personally I tend to go the other way and fish the stretch north of the populated beach that you have to wade to get to. There is a nice point and a quick drop that creates a nice cut and then on the other side of the cut there is a nice mangrove inhabited oyster bar. Great area. Yes you have to get there pretty early and preferably on a week day, which pretty much creates a peopleless scenario, beautiful.... some time there are other anglers but they all seem to feel like the fish are as far as they can walk out on the flat (not the case at all) and as for season, I have been pretty successful in almost all seasons (even with snook) except for some of the coldest winter times...however there are some real nice deep...deep pockets back in the lagoons in the cypress area with nice black mud that could quite possibly hold winter fish(snook)lol. I never buy bait and hate to bring and throw the net most of the time, just like to pack my cargo pockets and fishing shirt pockets with the essential tools and baits (unless I am with the kid then I bring my homemade flats caddy) and enjoy my carefree, exhilarating topwater or hard bait fishing action.

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28694

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
I wanted to do an update...today i went out with my son(shrimptrap14) and we waded the same area as I did yesterday, and i let him use the plug(she-dog in bone chrome, hi-pitch) that i caught the fish on yesterday so that he could get his first snook. However I managed to catch two smaller fish in the 22 inch range on a green back silver belly top-pup before he got his first hit. We had low expectations due to the not so good tide today. But had much more action than yesterday(many more blow-ups)

I want to reiterate to everyone who fishes topwater that when the fish misses it, DO NOT KEEP GOING, leave it as long as you can handle it, maybe give it a tiny twitch, but that is it. two of the three fish hooked good today ate it while it was sitting still. One time I got a phone call as the fish missed it the first time, so while on the phone the plug just sat. A second after I hung up, it gently inhaled the stagnate bait, and fish on. The other fish (the only one that was hooked up for Jr.) was as I used his shoulder to balance my rod-butt on while I worked to get a tip-wrap undone after landing my second fish. Hit his plug while it was just sitting still so I could get my line right. He was hooked up to a slightly larger fish than either of mine and just as it was in range to leader it made one more jump and SLICE, it cut the leader and there went his first snook and my she-dog...Double Bummer. I will buy a new one soon when I get some extra cash and he will get his snook soon, im sure. But It was definitely a learning experience for us both. If you let it sit, They will come...

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28701

• Carolinaboy11
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
good advice! ill have to give the waiting game a try next time I want to keep it working
Three-fourths of the Earth’s surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the
lawn.

Re: she-dog snookin 2 years 3 months ago #28702

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
seriously when u cant stand it and want to move it ....jst twitch it and wait some more..it will pay off. :thumbsup:
  • Page: