Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15

ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28853

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Friday I took 3 friends with me to to ftd gulf pier and w arrived about 530 cuz of traffic. We almost didn't go due to a storm that was suppose to hit hard in that area. My friend Oscar said well ill drive and if its real bad we'll turn around. I said sure let's go. turns out the storm moved further south so we only got a light drizzle for about ten minutes. Glad we went!

Of the three friends that went with me only one has fished here in FL. The other two were father and soon and the father fished in NY and the son had never fished before and had asked me on the way down why I love to fish so much. I said well hopefully today you will feel why.

Luckily there was plenty of bait which is always a good sign of bigger fish. After netting up a bunch of sardines we started fishing. Oscar was the first to catch a mackerel on a spoon then a few cast later got bit off so I set him up with a fish finder rig and with cut bait caught a 14in flounder and a small jack within 10 minute of each other.

I took the jack and cut his tail off and setup my shark rod and waited patiently. meen time a fished with another rod and caught a mackerel. My friend Neil still hadn't caught anything after a couple hours. I tell him to try anotherer spot and he finally caught his first fish! It was a flounder just shy of being a keeper. He finally started to get just a little exited. About ten minutes later he catches another fish, a small bonnet head shark!. Now he's getting a little more excited about his first fishing trip.

Right after that my shark rod started making some noise so ran to it to set the hook. I must've had the drag to tight cuz it quickly snapped off. I was bummed cuz I've been trying to catch my first nice sized shark for a while now. Didn't end up catching a shark.

My other friend Alec caught a trout about 14 in and a nice fat mackerel. Oscar kept catching Macks and silver trout. I been re-rigging most of the time cuz we all kept getting but of by who knows what. My friend Neil got another nice hit and asked for my help. I just simply coached him so he could catch it himself and it fight him pretty good. He finally got it on the pier and it was a nice sized bluefish. Boy was he excited! He said ''now I know why you love fishing! It is a thrill to catch them.''

Over all a pretty good day. Ended up taking home a total of 6 Macks, 1 flounder, 1 decent sized silver trout, and a bluefish. Though I didn't get a chance to toss out my line very much I enjoyed helping my friends catch fish. One, even though has fished with me before never caught a fish besides pinfish, and one never fished here and the other had never in his life. Now they all want to fish more often. I only took pics of Neils fish since this was his first fishing trip ever.

[attachment:1]imagejpeg_2.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment:2]imagejpeg_2_2.jpeg[/attachment]

[attachment:3]imagejpeg_2_3.jpeg[/attachment]
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28870

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
For some reason I can't see the pics.

Nice of you to play captain and give them a chance to do some catching, sounds like a fun day.

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28886

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
Just noticed they didn't post. I will re post them in a minute

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28887

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
imagejpeg_2.jpeg

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28888

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
imagejpeg_2_2.jpeg

imagejpeg_2_3.jpeg

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28908

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
Great pics. By the way, I smoked a bonnet head once and it was amazing, but it was a little larger than that one.

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28929

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 297
That's what it's all about bro! Good job on turning people on to this life-changing sport
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28932

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
DavidT wrote:
That's what it's all about bro! Good job on turning people on to this life-changing sport

It sure is! My friend in the pic wants to learn more and make plans to go again. His dad wants me to take him to get 2 rods. They definitely got hooked lol!

Re: ftd gulf pier Friday 6/15 1 year 10 months ago #28933

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 121
Kudo's to you!!! Best part of fishing helping others!! Best part of guiding is watching people get excited, happy and smile when catching a fish. I bet you friends now have the feeling inside that we all get and it is because of you.. So..... Send me your address and I will mail you some hooks. You rock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Floridakey, 2fishshort