The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: monster snook (1/3)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: monster snook

monster snook 2 years 3 months ago #28859

• michaeltsully
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks to the onlinefisherman I have had some really really nice catch and release beach snookin. Up untill about a month ago I had never caught a snook bigger than 30" and maybe 10 pounds. After reading an article on here about beach snookin and seeing some pics from capt david. And capt mike, I made it a mission to go get me one of those big girls. All I did was really study the article and do exactly what they suggested too do. Boy did I have some success in what Iset out to do. Almost all of these fish were caught on a zman shrimp 1\4 oz jig and a little pro cure. Best part was these beast were caught on 10# power pro and 20# flouro!!! No break offs just one spit hook.
1339944210764.jpg

1339944010059.jpg

2012-06-01 07.06.30.jpg

2012-05-31 07.37.32.jpg

2012-06-15 06.54.44.jpg
One day, my ship will come. And with my luck, I'll be waiting at the airport!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28861

• Kenny
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Nice freaking job brother, way to Git'r done !

:thumbsup:

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28862

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
HOLLY CRAP! :thumbsup:

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28864

• crboggs
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 298
Well done! Still trying to get my first beach snook as well!
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28867

• Flaswimbaiter
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
I can only see the first two pictures which are a couple of pigs, very nice. Not sure who these exerts are, one of my best winters was the year after the kill off.

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28873

• michaeltsully
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks a lot for the kind words fellas! I'm very proud of these fish and greatful for the help I received from members of tof willing to share their wealth of knowlledge! That is what seperates this site from all the others. The strangest thing about catching these big ole lunkers is the more I found myself catching these fish the greater respect I have for them now!
One day, my ship will come. And with my luck, I'll be waiting at the airport!

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28874

• TampaFlatsMan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Awesome fish! I am still trying to get my first beach snook. I have tried multiple times with no luck. I feel like I am doing everything right, but nothing. I will keep trying!

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28877

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
That is EXACTLY why we work so hard on this site! Thanks for posting this and we appreciate the kind words!

And those are both beautiful fish. That one on the top if a HOG! :thumbsup:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28881

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 62
Man...I'm jealous! hahah That's bad ass

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28895

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Awesome Snook bro! Would you be willing to let us in on what beach that was?
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28899

• mwilson3
  • Expert Boarder
Not my gig, but that is quality fish! kepp banging fools!

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28903

• FishHawk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Around the Little Manatee and the South Shore of Tampa Bay the kill was REAL...BUT...I personally observed it as a kill of smaller
to medium-sized fish snook. As for those breeding and out in the Gulf, I did not see or hear of any kind of kill as the water temperatures
in deeper waters was more moderate.

Now what you have there is some "tarpon-like" recreational fun. Good!
"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Gen. Mattis

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28907

• bassin assassin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 352
Great fish!!!! Nice work.

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28909

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 130
That is the way do it Mike! :@)) :@)) :/w :/w Talking with other anglers and biologists throughout the State, I think certain areas were effected by the cold winter (2 years back) differently then others. Like Flaswimbaiter said he had a good year after the cold. Some fishing down in the shallow areas of the everglades said it was their worst. Those fish had no where to protect themselves from the cold. No deep water, no power plants, no deep rivers etc... Here in the Tampa Bay Area some died but, many were able to get into the deep water areas like the canals, rivers, warm water power plants.

Mike,
That is a great accomplishment. Catching snook like that came from your hard work, dedication and perseverance. I am sure the articles helped a little, but don't sell yourself short. You caught the fish. Many people are in chase of that fish and have not caught it yet. It is like the 400 lb bench press in the gym. Most train to accomplish that, but very few do. I think we should start our own big fish club and give out a certificate for the accomplishment.

By the way because of your accomplishment, I am going to send you some snook hooks!! e-mail me your address or let me know what day you can drop by Tampa Fishing Outfitters!!! Congratulations on a job well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Floridakey, 2fishshort

Re: I recall the "experts" saying all the snook died! 2 years 3 months ago #28911

• 2fishshort
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Dude, you rock!!!!! You gotta love the people that come to the forums on this website. One of the forum members lostmans1, gave me a tip to try and wouldn't you know it, I busted the fish up with it. What ever took the media publications to come up with a site like this. David T, Lostmans1 and Gary thanks for putting this thing together.

michaeltsully that fish has some awesome lines to it!!!!!!

Maybe we can hook up for some more snook.