The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: shore fishing (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: shore fishing

shore fishing 2 years 1 month ago #29118

• calcutta86
  • Senior Boarder
  • keep em tight!!!
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey fellow anglers!! I know im not in the right section to post this but no one ever responds to shore fishing section!! I am planning a shore fishing trip this weekend because my boat is in the shop. But my question is are there any good shore fishing areas around Tampa bay for redfish trout or whatever it doesn't matter to me? Thanks for the help
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: shore fishing 2 years 1 month ago #29124

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Hey man, I've actually been thinking of getting rid of that section, but the right section to post this in would probably be "All Things Fishy". That is a "general fishing topics" forum. I actually might rename that section too to "General Fishing Topics" or something like that as to not confuse anyone...

Anyway, have you ever checked out our fishing maps?

We have them broken down into sections and one of the sections is "fishing from land". There are some really good maps in there. One that I would suggest to check out is in the Tampa Bay subsection under "Fishing from Land" and is called Courtney Campbell. If you look at that map at the "Park and Fish" icon, you will see that you can park your car there and wade all the way out to the Oyster Catcher's Restaurant. That spot is very well known for redfish at pretty much any time of the year. There are nice oyster beds there. You can also catch trout and snook all around there. Try fishing in the channel there also right near the restaurant. Great fishing there. Just be courteous if you see charter captains there. That's a pretty popular spot for guides, and remember, they're doing this to feed their family. Another few good spots to wade are Cypress Park and Picnic Island but I'm a big fan of Courtney Campbell. Great fishing there year round.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson
The following user(s) said Thank You: calcutta86

Re: shore fishing 2 years 1 month ago #29128

• crboggs
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 271
Gotta figure "shore" fishing reports would fit "inshore" as well...
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: shore fishing 2 years 1 month ago #29132

• DavidT
crboggs wrote:
Gotta figure "shore" fishing reports would fit "inshore" as well...

:ditto:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: shore fishing 2 years 1 month ago #29174

• calcutta86
  • Senior Boarder
  • keep em tight!!!
Thanks for the advice Dave!!! I greatly appreciate it but I do have one more question for you sir I am going to the causeway tomorrow like u said but what are they using out there live bait artifical?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Re: shore fishing 2 years 1 month ago #29181

• DavidT
I personally try to use live bait as much as possible but if I absolutely couldn't find any to cast net, I would use a DOA Terror Eyez in the clear/red color. It's see-through but has red coloring in it. Not sure what the name of it is...or if they even have names for their colors...but that color is good. Also, topwater would be a good choice...bone color is the most popular...and for a good reason...

Good luck! Let us know how you do

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29293

• calcutta86
  • Senior Boarder
  • keep em tight!!!
Hey Dave my report from the causeway isn't a very good as the conditons were not the greatest it was cloudy and overcast all day couldn't find bait so i went and bought 4 dozen live shrimp. But I waded the flats like u said all the way to the oyster catcher resturant I caught 3 small trout and some lady fish nothing exciting I did see some snook under the dock at the oyster catcher resturant but they wouldn't hit anything I threw at them and I threw everything. But overall it wasn't the greatest day I have had. But anyday on the water is a good one to me.. I guess I just don't have the luck when it comes to wade fishing seems like everytime I do it I don't catch anything worth sharing.. any other advice u can give would be greatly appreciated on other spots I don't know where to go. Hopefully my boat gets out of shop soon and I don't have to worry about it but I would love to be able to know some helpful advice for doing it shown since I plan on trying somewhere this weekend

Thanks again
Chad

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29300

• DavidT
Try the same spot again bro, trust me! They are there...especially now that the tide has been so high it will flush all kinds of food for predators out of that channel at Oyster Catcher's. Never judge a spot by one or even five days fishing there. I have caught several NICE fish there. My biggest snook to date was caught right at the rocks (from land) where you start walking out to Oyster Catcher's. A 40-incher. Also, very big redfish hang all along that rock ledge. At the first point that sticks out when you head west on the rocks, I've caught tons of 30+ inch redfish there...I would put money on that channel though in the next few days...the water will be rushing out of there dumping out all kinds of food for snook, reds, trout, etc.

Finger mullet are very good for that area too...you can cast net them very easily all around there. Also creek chubs which you can buy at Denny B's bait shop on Hillsborough and Memorial in Tampa will work very well in that area. You threw live shrimp at those snook and they wouldn't eat? If so, that just means they weren't hungry...or maybe you didn't have the right tackle...what were you using for tackle? I would use 20-25lb test Ohero fluorcarbon leader tied on with line-to-leader knot. Don't use any weights or swivels or anything. Just line-leader-hook-bait.

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29301

• calcutta86
  • Senior Boarder
  • keep em tight!!!
Ok thanks sir! I parked by the hyatt on the road that takes u right back to Tampa don't know the name of it though.. do u throw in that channel and just let it drift out in the flats or do u use a weight and let sink to bottom I didn't see any rocks except for the ones I walked down to the water on. But I will keep trying that area I plan on getting out this weekend and trying my luck again. I was using 20lb fluro carbon with a 30 lb power pro with a #1 hook in my shrimp could be using the wrong equipment don't know though. Let me know if this is the right stuff

Thanks
Chad

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29302

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
I didn't realize there was good fishing in that area. Gonna have to try it also. Will post when I do to see if anyone wants to join.
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29303

• DavidT
calcutta86 wrote:
Ok thanks sir! I parked by the hyatt on the road that takes u right back to Tampa don't know the name of it though.. do u throw in that channel and just let it drift out in the flats or do u use a weight and let sink to bottom I didn't see any rocks except for the ones I walked down to the water on. But I will keep trying that area I plan on getting out this weekend and trying my luck again. I was using 20lb fluro carbon with a 30 lb power pro with a #1 hook in my shrimp could be using the wrong equipment don't know though. Let me know if this is the right stuff

Thanks
Chad

I would go lower on the braided line, but that's good. I use 17lb Ohero braided for inshore. You're not using a swivel to tie the line to the leader, right? Also, how long is your leader? Make your leader about 4 feet long...or longer...

And don't use weights at all. Free-line your bait so it looks as natural as possible. The #1 hook is good. I personally use 1/0 hooks most of the time, but do use #1's also. And you're right, the rocks you walked down to get to the water is what i was talking about. Fish all along those rocks as well. I can't tell you the amount of times I was just driving by and decided to stop and fish from the rocks and caught good quality fish. Trout, redfish and snook.

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29305

• calcutta86
  • Senior Boarder
  • keep em tight!!!
Ok I will try that and no I'm not using swivels or anything leader is tied to powerpro using a bloodknot.. leader is also about 30 inches long but will make it longerate those mangroves ant good at all.. are u throwing up against the rocks or into flats...I also noticed a couple of oyster card around some of the mangroves and didn't catch anything at all.. I'm just trying to some better places to fish I will keep trying there though

Thanks
Chad

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29306

• DavidT
It's pretty skinny there so unless it's a very high tide those mangroves are only a few inches of water. But look for the mullet. Where you see them jumping around is where you should be fishing. Around the oyster bars is mostly where they'll be hanging out. Redfish hang with mullet. As far as the rocks go, I fish all around there. I stand from the rocks and throw 180° from up against the rocks on the west side all the way around and up against the rocks on the right side. You should always try every angle when fishing from land or wade fishing. Yeah man, you gotta trust me on this one. That spot is a gold mine. Ask anyone who fishes there. Well, maybe not anyone...some people will probably lie to you and say it sucks and tell you NOT to go there so you won't catch all "their" fish :laughing:

Re: shore fishing 2 years 4 weeks ago #29307

• artifishent1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
I fish there all the time, not all the way to Oyster Catchers but along that road with the U-turn...Great fishing, I catch snook, reds, and(trout in the winter), Lots of flounder in the fall... I want to work my way to Oyster Catchers but havent had the need....Keep trying out there, and Try some artificials: topwaters, , mirrodines and jigs have all produced for me...Also try the Clacking Float with Jig or DOA Shrimp You will catch fish, If not just keep changing your retrieve until you start getting some action, They are almost always out there. Good Luck,

Re: shore fishing 2 years 3 weeks ago #29331

• calcutta86
  • Senior Boarder
  • keep em tight!!!
Thanks Dave I will use all of the techniques you were talking about this weekend. It means a lot to me that you take time out of your day to help fellow anglers like myself and many others become better fisherman. Thanks again and I will let you know how I do the next time I go out

Thanks
Chad