The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Wading Saved the Day (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Wading Saved the Day

Wading Saved the Day 2 years 4 weeks ago #29755

• bassin assassin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 315
Launched out of BH at 6:20am yesterday with Dave(stormy). It was going to be incoming for a while and a huge outgoing later in the day. Water temp was 83 degrees. We headed towards the mouth. We both started with the Spook Jr. in bone. No strikes on any points. Nothing in "snook alley" on the flukes or spooks. Over to the north side near the point and I got a couple of blow-ups from trout, but no connections. Dave caught a 12" trout on the spook one hour after launching. Chatted with Tony (flatsjunkie) a bit and then out to the flat north of the mouth. Dave connected with a 15" trout on the chugger/DOA bait at 8:10am. Another 15" trout for Dave on a weightless DOA shrimp five minutes later. A replica trout for Dave on the same lure at 8:20am. Ten minutes later, I was working the spook in and a trout was following. Stopped my lure and told Dave to throw the shrimp behind my lure. He did and caught another 15" trout at 8:30am.

Still working the flat towards Port Manatee. Dave was now throwing a chug bait with the rear treble removed and a shrimp dangling from the eyelet on a flurocarbon leader. We dubbed this the clack n snack. Dave caught a 16" trout on the shrimp part of the bait at 8:35am. He caught a 10" trout on the clack n snack three minutes later. We worked all the way down near the port. Finally, Dave landed a 17" trout on a pink super fluke at 9:30am. Six minutes later, a 16" trout for him on the same lure. By this time, I thought I was going to be his guide for the day since I could not catch a thing. Finally, I got on the board with a 12" trout on the 3" RT mullet in redfish color at 9:40. Another 12" trout for me on the same lure at 9:53am.

We began to work the mangroves going back towards BH with flukes. At 10:35, Dave caught a nice 23 1/2" snook on a monster fluke in really shallow water. At 11:39am, Dave caught a nice jack on a DOA shrimp that put up a great fight. We thought he had a red. We struggled to catch anything for a long time. It wasn't until 1:01pm when another fish was caught. It was a 10" trout I caught on a a 3" RT mullet in shad flash color.

The wind was blowing WSW and I was getting frustrated. I told Dave let's take a ride to get out of the wind and take a break. We headed south towards the skyway and began working mangroves with flukes. We worked them for the longest time. Finally, Dave landed a 21 1/4" snook on a monster fluke out of the mangroves at 2:23pm. Dave caught a small jack in the mangroves on a pink fluke at 2:40 and then moments later caught an 8" snook on the same lure. Needless to say we were struggling. It was hot. The wind was blowing hard. The grass was making topwater and jigs extremely difficult to work properly without fouling. We searched for breaks from the wind constantly.

We worked mangroves behind Joe's Island for what seemed like hours. We made it to the southern end and pitched around the oyster bars. No luck. It was getting near low tide so we got out of there and headed back towards BH. I caught a couple of small trout in a shallow pool near the channel at 6:02pm.The water was so low near the entrance to BH, I had to get out and pull my jon boat to the channel.

We trolled over to the other side of the channel and beached the boat on the sand bar. The tide was ripping out. Between 6:15pm and 7pm, I caught three decent trout and one snook, while Dave caught two decent snook and one trout. I was using the RT Mullet in shad flash and smoke/gold halo and paralleling the grass edge just off the channel. Dave was throwing DOA shrimp out near the channel and letting it float out. As it got darker, the bite got better.

I caught an 18" trout at 7:21pm. A small pool had formed behind the bar and it appeared fish were in there. At 7:30pm, I landed an 18" and a 17" snook on back to back casts in this pool on the shad flash. Four minutes later, I caught a 20" snook out of it. At 7:38pm, I caught a 14" trout out it. Went back out to the bar and caught a 17" snook at 7:44pm on the same lure. Twelve minutes later, another 14" trout for me. At 7:58pm, I caught a 12" trout and looked over and Dave had one on also. He had caught three trout on three consecutive casts. I wasn't keeping track of his catches, but he said he caught a total of seven snook from 18-22", four trout from 18-20" and ten trout from 10-15" off this bar by the time we headed to the ramp.

I had to try topwater and threw the spook out near the channel and caught an 18" trout on the first cast. There was another pool behind the bar and I threw the spook in it. A very nice 20" trout crushed the spook on the first cast at 8:15am. I swore I thought I saw a tailing red in there. Threw out and had a follow but no strike. Another huge explosion on my spook at 8:23am in this pool. It was a fat 23" trout that gave me a great fight. My final fish of the day was an 18" trout out of there. It was an incredible amount of action in just a short period of time. It was so much fun and saved the day for me. So beach your boat, get your feet wet and get in on the action if you get the chance.

stormyjack001.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wading Saved the Day 2 years 4 weeks ago #29756

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 498
Great report, as always. No reds? First time in a while that you didn't get a slam. Still a terrific day, though.
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: Wading Saved the Day 2 years 4 weeks ago #29757

• bassin assassin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 315
Thanks Barry. I thought I might get one at the end of the day in that shallow pool. It just wasn't meant to be. It was a pretty rough day until the end, for me at least. Water was still murky and stained. Bite was definitely off in the AM. Good quality trout though at the end of the day and some decent snook too. I did lose another mid-20s snook on either the first or second cast off that bar. I will be exploring those shallow pools behind that bar in the future.

Re: Wading Saved the Day 2 years 3 weeks ago #29762

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
Way to persevere! Nice payoff. Great report. Man. You guys were out all day! :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bassin assassin

Re: Wading Saved the Day 2 years 3 weeks ago #29765

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Nice report Dave!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Wading Saved the Day 2 years 3 weeks ago #29781

• DudsOne
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Very nice Dave.