The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12 (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12

Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12 2 years 1 month ago #29816

• CaptTommyZ
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Report from yesterday - 7.03.12
So, the goal for Nick and me was to find inshore gags and tarpon. We did both... barely.
We got on the gags in 10 to 12 feet of water. The bite was a little slower than I would've liked. Probably due to the full moon. We would get on a spot and catch one. Then reposition the boat and get another. Wash, rinse, repeat... makes for a long morning. With no breeze and temps in the mid 80's by 9 a.m., it makes the time between bites seem like an eternity. I made one final move to a little spot I know of where the fish live, but are very difficult to coax out. Two baits went in, mine came back with a 23" keeper and Nick's gets housed and missed. I set my rod down and watched Nick get taken to the woodshed about 8 times in a row before he finally pulls a little 18"er out of the cover. There is definetly a knack to getting these fish out that takes a few visits to the shed to learn. We ended up with 3 keepers in the box ranging from 23" to 28". Not bad for 11 feet of water.
Now on to the tarpon...
What can I say? Ughhh!!
By now its 1'ish and hot as hades. So off we go to Egmont to see if we can find fish coming into the bay. Well, it was an exact replay of the day before. At the end of the incoming we saw a few fish rolling here and there. I was marking large schools, looked to be 100+ in each group, on my machine. Sent a crab down on the now almost slack tide. BAM! First bait in the water turns into a tarpon in sixty seconds! I hand the rod to Nick because it felt like a fish over 50 pounds. "Let the kid fight the bigger ones"! He did! Had the fish boatside in about 15 minutes. A nice 125 pound tarpon. Got our DNA scrub and turned her loose. Then we went looking for more. Marked a few and saw a few more roll. Then the tide started out. About an hour into the outgoer, the mud showed up and the fish were nowhere to be found. We ran to the Skyway and dipped crabs for an hour. By now it was 6 p.m. We were tired, hungry and exhausted. Ran for the barn with two hours of outgoing tide left. I got reports from people who stayed out in various locations. None of these reports were good. We ended up only 1 for 1 on the tarpon. I'm taking today off! Back at it tomorrow.
Happy 4th Everyone!!
Capt. Tommy Z.
Dream Catcher Charters
Key West, Florida
www.dreamcatchercharters.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12 2 years 1 month ago #29817

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 62
Great report Capt!

Re: Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12 2 years 1 month ago #29823

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 130
Great report and happy 4th Capt Tommy!!

Re: Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12 2 years 1 month ago #29829

• TampaFlatsMan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I was out there yesterday too trying to land some tarpon and got squat. Are they still being affected by Debbie?

Re: Gags and Tarpon... 7.3.12 2 years 1 month ago #29843

• Sideshow
  • Thank you received: 155
Sounds like a good day. I was at gandy that night. not used to fishing pylons so i did not have much luck myself .
Free Reach Arounds :)