The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay

atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30342

• Dave44
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
My first time sharing. Candles lit (not sure why). Here it goes....

been kayak fishing hard last two months with limited success and stalled by storms and weeds and salinity issues...oh my.

Today we earned it. Woke up at 4 am to make sure we got our Waffle House in. Of course ate too much and made it to CRB after sun up! Decided since running late not to paddle to normal far spots but headed North with tide to Little CRB.

Water was cleaner than I had seen in weeks and grass was there but not so bad finally.

Wind was lite and spoon color was white. Settled down in a spot finally about 730. Hunted and pecked for what seemed like forever while hiding behind every mangrove I could to stay out of sun (yep I forgot suncreen today). Finally at 9 am ish got a nice red tight to the mangroves. One small snook, couple small trout and a ladyfish later and nothing. We moved about with much effort trying to cover a lot of water until tide was slack.

At 1030am decided to settle down and try to get some live bait. Worked hard for it but got a couple dozen pinfish and finger mullet. After a short break headed back to same spot where we caught redfish and some boat is smack parked right there! We hadn't seen two boats ALL morning and one is parked right where I wanna be! ARGGH.

Oh well......I know what that bottom and current was like so I moved around trying to find other points like it. No bites.

All a sudden I hear my partner (photographer for the day) yelling, chanting, cussing, and finally sighing. Lost a nice red right by boat. Then the ole chap in boat chimes in: "you boys should fish about 50 yards to your right...I must have caught a hundred fifty redfish there over last 23 years."

suuuuurrrrreee.......I thought. But what did I have to lose. I move over to where abouts he was pointing and cast my final throw, near death pinfish at mangroves. No sooner than it hit the water was it heading sideways. Snook!!!!!! I fought that thing like my life depended on it. I was not losing this precious catch! Boated him and breathed a sigh of small conquer.

About 15 minutes later. BAM!!!! another great snook. Both were in the 24-26" range.

So yes line is frayed a little but in typical Dave fashion I give it the once over and have confidence it'll manage one more, because of course I can't waste 60 seconds re-tying! (chant idiot right now softly). So five minutes later, maybe two casts....KAAABOOOM! huge hit, large boil and of course shes screaming straight for the woods! hand over reel immediatley and POP. So long trophy fish!

Ten minutes or so later I throw another half dead pinfish again and pull anchor to drift down a bit and of course a nice red takes the bait and barrels down on me. So I'm hooking the fish, getting it away from mangroves, trying to grab my make-shift pvc powerpole yak anchor, all the while being pulled hard to the woods myself. After what seemed like ten minutes (more like 5 seconds of course) I manage anchor in hole and manage to land fish.

woo. what a day. one that makes all the hard work worth it, even in heat of summer.
and to the ole chap (hereby referred to snook angel) you can take my spot anytime!

Hope you enjoy!

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: poyssick

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30343

• pickgrin
  • Thank you received: 734
Welcome Dave! Great report and congrats on a good day catching fish. You've got some nice writing skills - hope to see more reports from you - and don't just wait until you have another day to brag about either - LOL
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30348

• Dave44
  • Expert Boarder
certainly will. I enjoy fishing more than many things and have a blast even on bad days

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30349

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
Thanks Dave awesome report! I added your photos in the story so you don't have to click on them. All you have to do to do that is: once you upload your photo you will see a box appear right where the "Add File" button is that says insert. Click on insert and it inserts the code for the picture to show up in the thread.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30350

• Dave44
  • Expert Boarder
thanks I was trying to fix that this morning and they magically appeared!

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30355

• cyrusd40
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I had fun being camera man, and then winghouse was filling, but next time I WILL not lose that redfish =./

:angry-cry:

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30356

• FishHawk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
"Wind was light and teh spoon was white".

Neat line to write and neat lines into those fish.
"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Gen. Mattis

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30375

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
We are going to start awarding some small prize for the best post of the month. This gets my vote.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30384

• Dave44
  • Expert Boarder
forgot to mention....sharks! what is up with all the sharks???

We see the usual bonnet heads but between weedon and CRB we have seen a fair share of larger black tips too. My fishing buddy watched one come out water and chomp a black bird.....crazy!

I also came across a large black tip at Weedon power plant channel and paddled away like I was trying out for 2012 olympics!

Makes wading a little more nerve wracking!

shark.jpg

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30418

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 553
Great report, Dave. You and Cyrus had a terrific day. You don't like to wade with the sharks? :laughing:
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: atlast mates....a good day in Little Cockroach Bay 2 years 2 months ago #30429

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
There's a waffle house on the way to CRB??? On 41? Lol food first.

That's some good fishin. Too bad about the lost snook. Great report Dave.