The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish

7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30644

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
No pictures (I apologize for sucking), but if anyone lives in the area and wants some fun, here is the rundown. Redfish after redfish in the 25-inch range.

Hit the beach with greenbacks last night from midnight until 5am. Incoming tide, overcast, felt like the barometer was dropping a bit and got to watch a cloud-to-cloud lightning storm way off in the Gulf all night. The tide right now is the best for that area IMHO (south of Gandy). Zero lows and 2'6" highs, puts the skinny water right near the first and second trough. A 3-foot tide and the bait doesn't hold over the sand; negative tides and they are back in the thick grass where live-bait techniques become an exercise in pulling salad off your rig and drowning bait.

The greenback hatch in that area is perfect size right now, 3-4 inch greenies. Started at the south side by the point, then made a drift throwing spoons (ladyfish). Anchored up on the first big mullet school; catfish. Picked up and went down and hit the next big mullet school; bingo.

Once I hooked up with the first one, they got turned-on by the commotion and it was cast, wait, here-we-go, fish on! Even got to the point where the bait was hitting the water and getting nailed. The fight was exceptional; all upper-slot fish and the cool night temps gave them beast mode strength that was making me feel like I had a 30-inch plus fish on. I had a 24-inch red *open up* a owner 1/0 mutu light, wrecked the hook. About a dozen reds, 2 tail-walking snook (<30 inch), and some small jacks was the mixed bag.

Dan
Wade the flats for r/s/st/f with greenbacks or chubs on a Carolina rig. Moving between spots, I like to throw gold spoons or topwater (in the morning). Throw soft plastics on a 1/8th jighead (z-man minnowz) for flounder and trout in the winter. Kayak fish also, troll a spoon or lipped Rapala...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30646

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 533
Nice night fishing, Dan. At first I was wondering if you walked all the way to the point but then remembered that you have a kayak! lol

Did you net the greenies by the pier?
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30648

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Nice! When you going out next? If you're going this week some time I'd love to join you
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30654

• Sideshow
  • Thank you received: 155
Sounds like a great night. If your beach fishing I might come join you to learn a thing or two about night fishing .
Free Reach Arounds :)

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30660

• Raymond
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I didn't know you could catch redfish on the beach. I recently saw on the fishy spots map that on caladesi there is a place to catch redfish on the beach. Very Interesting.

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30667

Thanks Dan- may have to work that into the schedule.....

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30676

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
@ Barry. Yep, got them off the pier. There are some spots I blind cast at the end and they are always there, smaller net is best because I can actually fit part of the spread in between the pilings. I use a worn out 6-foot that is holier than the old testament. All those good troughs are accessible from shore or to waders. They happened to be schooled up just south of the canoe launch. That section of beach is really nice and has been a good spot from my experience.

DaveT - what's your schedule like at nights and where are you coming from? I'll probably get out one night this coming week.

I know we've tried to connect before and things just never seemed to line up on my end (for which I apologize)-- my life is hectic but the school semester is almost over. I'll show you that stake out pole I made. I thought it'd get in the way but with a long enough anchor line it's unobtrusive and a fast way to anchor.

@ sideshow. Honestly man I suck at fishing but if there is one thing I can do is catch a redfish and put a hurting on the school. Other species, not so much. I regularly get my ass handed to me by snook.

Dan
Wade the flats for r/s/st/f with greenbacks or chubs on a Carolina rig. Moving between spots, I like to throw gold spoons or topwater (in the morning). Throw soft plastics on a 1/8th jighead (z-man minnowz) for flounder and trout in the winter. Kayak fish also, troll a spoon or lipped Rapala...

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30677

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
Oh and, the reason for my post that I neglected to mention was usually those schools are in there for a few days. So it might be worth it to play this tide at night and get u some too!

Dan

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30681

• AndyS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Andrew Schoener
  • Thank you received: 369
Dan, If I lived up that way I would be asking you if I could go with you. I love that kind of fishing. Something about catching good fish with out a boat that turns me on now. You had a great night. Stay with that befor they move.
Andrew Schoener

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30684

• Dave44
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Great report
I get back in town Tuesday night
Let me know if I can join ya
I got a less holier net and a yak and a passion for night fishin

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30686

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Dan, I'm leaving for Rhode Island on Thursday morning so it would have to be on Monday or Tuesday. If you can't get out one of those days, I would have to wait till I get back. I'm going to PM you my number right now so if you want to go out on Monday or Tuesday night, gimme a shout. If not I'll be back in Tampa August 4th and I'll be ready to get out asap. A whole 9 days with no fishing and I'll have a MEAN itch
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #30688

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 533
Dan.......were you freelining the bait? I've been at PI wading several times in the past couple of weeks using pins and, except for a 20" flounder, caught almost everything under a float. Of course that was daytime. I'm not sure I'd wade there alone at night! lol

I have a 5' net and may try the pier. I know you have to get as close as possible to the pilings. Tried it before but I'm not all that great throwing and always end up away from the pier and either getting very few baits or maybe a couple of mullet. Darn rails are a little high for short me! B)
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: 7/21 Picnic Island nightime beach redfish 2 years 1 month ago #31027

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
I was using a Carolina rig with 2-feet or so of mono leader (I don't like flouro w/ swimming bait because it wears down the bait quicker) to a 1/0 circle hook. Just got in and tore 'em up again. Couldn't keep a bait in the water. About 4 am, had something burn about 30-yards of line in the blink of any eye before coming unbuttoned.

Dan