Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lengthening Bait Life

Lengthening Bait Life 1 year 11 months ago #26073

• Raymond
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I need a reccomendation about what to do with my boat to keep bait alive. I have a small well on my 17 foot lightweight flats boat 17x13x12inchesdeep and the water enters through three small holes in the bottom of the boat. While sitting still the well empties to less than half the well capacity. Should I add another well or qualify my well to hold more bait(if so how many large greenbacks will the well hold)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lengthening Bait Life 1 year 11 months ago #27250

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 295
Hi.

Are the corners of the well squarish or roundish? Square kills bait regardless of water flow.

What size pump?

The well is small. A round well will hold the bait better and keep it alive for two weeks if you keep. It cool.

But without doing anything, try putting an aerator in the line. That I will put more oxygen in the water by itself. And even if you upgrade to a new well, it is not like you will want to throw the aerator away anyway. They are wonderful on any size pump.

Lastly, carry powdered Gatorade with you. Not a third-party replacement, either. The real thing.

It increase the electrolytes in the water. It makes them come to life, live longer, and be way fresher. When they hit the water.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...

Re: Lengthening Bait Life 1 year 11 months ago #27252

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 55
poyssick wrote:
Lastly, carry powdered Gatorade with you. Not a third-party replacement, either. The real thing. It increase the electrolytes in the water. It makes them come to life, live longer, and be way fresher. When they hit the water.

What flavor?! I like the grape flavor myself. :laughing: I'm gonna have to try the gatorade trick and see if that helps...or Smart Water...it also has electrolytes.

Re: Lengthening Bait Life 1 year 11 months ago #27254

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 211
In the Bait 101 seminar they mentioned the electrolytes from powdered Gatorade. I would bet something like Pedialyte or etc would also work.

They also mentioned how keeping the water cool can raise the amount of oxygen it holds. Frozen water bottles are a good option to keep the livewell water temp down without mucking up the water with chemicals from "fresh" water. You don't want to throw ice in there to melt...
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats