The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Trolling Motor Batteries (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trolling Motor Batteries

Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27239

• fjharris
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Looking for advice on trolling motor batteries, good ones - bad ones, I need two. Have heard Optima is a good one? On board charger - worth the money?
Wife says "Can ya eat it?"
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27243

• plfalcon
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139
Got 2 Optima deep cycle batts.(34M 1050) on the 22' pathfinder . I do alot of night fishing and the Optima s
are put through the test, from running two live wells , nav. lights , and electronics .Also, use the trolling motor
to more short distance if needed. Very satified with the batts. I do have the on- board charger, which is great.
Would highly reccommend one for the convenience it provides. Check out Sam's , last time I was there , they had the battery.
Not sure of the price.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27269

• livetofish
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
FJ I have had deep cycles from Walmart, advance auto and west marine. You get what you pay for and they worked fine but didnt last. To make matters worst one would fail and the other not. Sometimes my budget could replace one at a time. Not a good habit. My budget always dictated my decision. Recently I finally bit the bullet and bought the Optima Bluetops. My trolling motor is 24v so writing the check for two was hard to do but they are the best.

The onboard charger is the same story. I have had a few chargers not on board and although sounds simple to connect the cables, not so after a long day. I love my on board. My boat is in my garage. Clean it, back it in and plug in the charger. Done. Convenient. Let your budget dictate you lever of convenience.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fjharris

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27271

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 129
livetofish is right

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27274

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
My Gheenoe is powered by a trolling motor for now, which is powered by a battery from Advance Auto Parts. It was great, at first, but randomly it's falling apart. It is very well maintained, floated/charged constantly as it should and yet my runtime is falling dramatically by the day. And I never drop it below 60% capacity. Long story longer, I don't recommend the Advance Auto Parts' deep cycles. Lol Have only heard good things about Optimas, and Walmart's is good because of the warranty but I present you this question: why do you want to risk wasting fishing time to a battery, such as Walmart's, that requires exchange frequently due to failure?
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27283

• fjharris
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks all, think I have decided. I have always gone to top of line for my car because you don't want to get stuck due to power (at least you can walk somewhere).....

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27481

• fjharris
  • Gold Boarder
Sams is no longer selling Optimas. How about West Marine or Pass Pro's Batteries?
What does this mean - 79 Min @ 10 Amp? Is that how long it will last when drawing 10 amps?
I can order the Optimas on line with free shipping. Which is the better, yellow top or blue top?
Sorry for all the questions. The trolling motor is a Minn Kota Riptide AP 70 lb, if that makes a difference.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27487

• livetofish
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Can't help you with your other questions but the yellow top is deep cycle automobile. I wouldn't.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 2 months ago #27968

You can purchase the blue tops at your local Advance Auto Parts store.

I personally recommend Interstate Batteries Deep Cycle.

As I have seen the Optima blue's fail, they just do not seam to last after many charging cycles. Keep that warranty receipt handy.

Gooluck with what choice you choose.

Also use a good charger (preferably digital or good on board) and not a cheap charger ($39), as they will overcharge your battery and shorten it's life.

Re: Trolling Motor Batteries 2 years 3 weeks ago #29844

• fjharris
  • Gold Boarder
And the final decision - Deka deep cycle

Thanks all....