The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Inshore Reel Recommendations (1/3)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Inshore Reel Recommendations

Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31469

• lampbad
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I would like some input on a 2500 series reel. It will primarily be used for reds, which have destroyed the bearings and drag in my Diawa Coastal and TDA.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31474

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
I like Shimano. I have a cheap Solstace that I've had for a few years and it's still working perfectly. I also have a CI4 that I really like. If you're looking for something cheap, the Solstace is only $40 I think and is a very good reel
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson
The following user(s) said Thank You: lampbad

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31507

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Most people here seem to be shimano or daiwa fans. I never owned either of those two brands so I can't say. What I do like is Penn. They d don't carry a 2500 series but do have 2000 and 3000 series. I like the fierce and battle models a lot. both models are very durable and braid ready so you don't need backing. I've caught a good amount decent sized fish with the fierce 3000. My battle is pretty new and haven't hooked on to anything real big with it yet (besides a pelican lol!) But am confident it will handle with ease.
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31509

• SunBked
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
Just seen the Solstace at Gander Mountain for 40$ today, so David is spot on with the price.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31512

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 332
Im suprised to hear the TDA was blown up but if your targeting those bigger fish then a 3000 or 4000 might be a better fit. I own a 2000 Daiwa Ballistic and I absolutely love it and have caught everything from slot snook to reds up to 33" with no problem. I still have my TDA and she is ms. reliable for me. I also own a shimano symetre 3500 that i use on my redfish setup. I do like the penns but not for inshore anymore, they are just wayyyyy to heavy. My penn Battle is the 6500 which is on my tarpon/grouper setup. I have been a big fan of Daiwa and the Ballistic is my favorite reel. I also own a Daiwa Tierra 4000 that I have had for about 5 years and other than it being whiny sometimes, she is still strong. I have never owned a Coastal but those seem like they are on the lower end of reels and have avoided them for that reason.
Team BF
The following user(s) said Thank You: lampbad

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31568

• redfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Daiwa Ballistic.. nuff said

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31570

• edquin
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
Can't say enough positive things about the Shimano CI4's,pricey but in the long run worth it,extremely light ,tough and fairly waterproof.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31572

• groupernugget
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
x2 on the TDA's. I blew out the drag on mine too recently but after a quick service job she's smooth again. I love my Saros in the 2500. As far as I can tell it is the same reel as a stradic with fewer bearings. I believe it is in the $120ish range.

I do think Jack's ballistic has the sexiest sounding drag in the world and is one of the smoothest reels I've ever laid hands on. Pricey though.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31573

• 509revo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 87
I also use a pair of 2500F Saros reels all the time.
I am really happy with them.
They can be bought on EBay for $99.00 with FREE S&H.
I've worn out Boca 3000's, Pfluger Medalists and another that I can't remember.
Nothing so infuriates champions of “Diversity” as much as an opinion diverse from their own.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31574

• FishinFoy$1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
I have a 300 Penn Battle on a 8 ft med Ohero for my flats set up and Love it! I have caught a 38 in red last year on it at cypress point and it took care of that fish no problem. 90$ for the reel 50$ for the rod pretty good price if u ask me. 15 # braid on the flats with the 8 footer allows me to cast a country mile.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31576

• bmacht
  • Fresh Boarder
I am sold on the Shimano Sedonas - $60 range in 2500 or 4000 series. I have tried and thrown away Fleugers, Finn Nor and Penns in similar sizes over the past few years - Penn does a great job with the big stuff but their smaller reels have given me nothing but trouble.

Those reels pair very nicely with a 7.5gt Falcon Coastal rod too - by far the best rod i have ever owned for all inshore species.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31578

• navigator
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
I too have a 7.5 ft Falcon Coastal with a 2500 Shimano Sedona spooled with 15# Ohero braid as my go to inshore setup.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31580

• CharlieCoconut
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Have Diawa, Shimano, and others, but the reels that always go fishing with me are Penn.

The 3000 Fierce is perfect for inshore, and when you hookup that bad azz Redfish, Permit, or whatever they work great.

The only issue with the 3000 is the paint comes off the gearbox to easy.

I keep my 30 year old Penn SS850 on the boat for shark, Cobia, Grouper, Redfish, and whatever will hit a big grunt or Pinfish floating out behind the boat. Over the years the Shimanos have hit the can and the Penn's are still on the boat.

Besides, Penn's are made here in the USA! But that's just my preference.

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31705

• dkknaebel
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a Penn Fierce 4000 on my inshore set up and I love that reel. It's smooth, the drag is great and it's just a great reel for a decent price.
Always ready to fish

Re: Inshore Reel Recommendations 2 years 1 month ago #31709

• CD
  • Junior Boarder
CharlieCoconut wrote:
Have Diawa, Shimano, and others, but the reels that always go fishing with me are Penn.

The 3000 Fierce is perfect for inshore, and when you hookup that bad azz Redfish, Permit, or whatever they work great.

The only issue with the 3000 is the paint comes off the gearbox to easy.

I keep my 30 year old Penn SS850 on the boat for shark, Cobia, Grouper, Redfish, and whatever will hit a big grunt or Pinfish floating out behind the boat. Over the years the Shimanos have hit the can and the Penn's are still on the boat.

Besides, Penn's are made here in the USA! But that's just my preference.

Penns are no longer made in the US. After they were bought out by Pure Fishing Inc., most of their production went over seas. The only spinning reel that is made here these days is the Torque. Their more expensive conventionals are still made here, but that may change. Just this year they stopped making the Conquer spinning reel here. You may check the reels that are still made here by visiting pennreels.com and looking for the "Made in USA" badge.