The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Lunch on the Lakes - 4/25/2012 (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lunch on the Lakes - 4/25/2012

Lunch on the Lakes - 4/25/2012 2 years 2 months ago #26114

• crboggs
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 271
Took my neighbor and his wife out to the local lakes and ponds for a little fishing during lunch...

I had a nice fat bass come rushing out of a culvert to hammer a spinner bait:

Neighbor's wife caught a gar, which surprised us all...was her first fish ever...

I have to somehow figure out how to translate my fresh water bass success to these saltwater snook I keep seeing! :fishing:
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Lunch on the Lakes - 4/25/2012 2 years 2 months ago #26117

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
crboggs wrote:
I have to somehow figure out how to translate my fresh water bass success to these saltwater snook I keep seeing! :fishing:

There's really not much to figure out...throw a shrimp or a whitebait at them. :hooked:

Before I started using whitebait and live shrimp, when I was primarily just a land and kayak fisherman, I only used artificials and never caught any snook. I'm not saying they don't bite artificials cause they will, I just never caught any. It wasn't until I started fishing with whitebait and shrimp when I started catching snook and now I catch them pretty regularly. I gotta say though, my buddy Glen (gsellers) catches the heck out of them on a spook jr. I saw it first hand last week when we fished. He caught 4 nice snook on the spook. I think he had a red head and bone maybe? Maybe he'll chime in and tell you which one works for him...
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Lunch on the Lakes - 4/25/2012 2 years 2 months ago #26121

• crboggs
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 271
I just need more time on the water and in the mangroves.

Just finished mowing my lawn to earn my kitchen pass for Saturday. *lol*
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Lunch on the Lakes - 4/25/2012 2 years 2 months ago #26126

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
crboggs wrote:
I just need more time on the water and in the mangroves.

Just finished mowing my lawn to earn my kitchen pass for Saturday. *lol*

That too...

Besides using whitebait and live shrimp, probably the best tip I ever got was when someone told me, "If you're lure/bait isn't getting tangled up in the mangroves over and over again, then you're not fishing where the snook are, and you won't catch any."

A cool and true story...

When I first started fishing, a guide (I can't recall which one) told me that he took a client out and told him to throw his lure towards the mangroves and he did. After a few casts the client started getting it pretty close to the mangroves. Finally he got it real close and was real excited at how close he got it until the guide said, "That's not close enough, pull it back in." The clients said, "Ok, I'll try to get it closer."
He threw it and it got caught up in the mangroves. He got pissed, but then the guide said, "Now, you're fishing where the fish are."
The client caught his first snook that day.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson