The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper)

Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26396

• k3anderson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • USCG Licensed Master Captain
  • Thank you received: 48
I have tried to post this report like 5X at the request of David T...Lets see if it finally works.

Went offshore Saturday to a spot just West of the now famous "Red Grouper" numbers. If you have been out with me offshore, you know this spot well. It generates lots of giant Red Grouper, gags, and occasionally some Dolphin, etc. etc. Something great usually happens there and this time was no exception. Derick from Phatfish and I once even saw a giant whale shark out there.
I went with another board member Fi$hinfoy, who does a lot of the inshore stuff. We made a stop at Dunedin reef and tried to caught some bluerunners and threadies just to have in the livewell and made our way out. Fi$hinfoy brought along some frozen threadies as well as some sardines so we packed up the chum churn and began chumming up the water as soon as we arrived. The keeper Red Grouper were in the box within 30 minutes. Then attentionthen turned to the pelagics. You can see how psyched Foy is in these pics with his first ever smoker King. I think he was the happiest I've ever seen him holding that big King. That wouldn't be his last. The big football bonita were in full force also and we skinned up the first one for chum and to lure in some more. In between bonita and kings, we were treated to some nice fat BlackfinTuna. I think we could have caught another 50 fish had we decided to stay. The bite was that hot.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26398

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
Holy crap dude, I didn't know you guys did it like that! Nice freakin fish! I won't miss that next trip!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26400

• 2fishshort
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Nice

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26402

• CaptainDavid
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 130
Awesome job Ken and James those are trophy fish, now that is a trip to remember!!

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26415

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Wow! I'm hungry just seeing all this now haha I definitely wanna go out with you sometime. That's crazy about the whale shark you saw before- this spot seems to dominate!
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26418

• k3anderson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • USCG Licensed Master Captain
  • Thank you received: 48
What was great was James was rocking his wife's Granfathers rod from back in the day. The grandfather had never used it and had talked about how he had always wanted to see a fish caught on it. Well James won't disappoint in that arena. He pummeled the fish all day with that thing and somehow it held together. We heard a crack at one point and I offered to switch it out but he stayed with it.

The Reid is now known as billy baroo

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26421

• groupernugget
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Dammm! Solid trip Ken!

Re: Where has Andy been 2 years 4 months ago #26424

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 292
Great report...

I missed that run so I could pick up my daughters from a sleep over and for swim lessons.

Ken was nice enough to send me pics throughout the afternoon, so I knew what I was missing. :fish-taunt:

Nice guy that Ken! (No...really... :thumbsup:)
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26432

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 62
Mmmm....Tuna belly!! I love me some toro. haha How far/deep did you guys go out? Looks like this Sat might be another beautiful day. Get yourself some offshore treasures!!

Re: Back to the Bluewater (Tuna, Kings, and grouper) 2 years 4 months ago #26436

• captain g
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice fish guys, keep it up.......