The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out

Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26946

• FishHawk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Been a bunch of people asking me to explain upcoming regulation changes. Two people told me yesterday the FWC is still telling people gags are in season. then they go and fine people holding their regulations.

Here's what I can figure:

Starting June 1st you will be allowed to fish for (meaning keep 2) American Red Snapper. Guess that's nice but ... Amberjack goes OUT June 1st. So - Obama and NOAA let us fish for ARS and take away AJ while we do that.

You want gags? July 1st through 10th MIGHT be the time to keep both ARS and gags. Reason I said MIGHT is that the FWC has still not informed their officers and changed their regulations. Don't forget - NO AJ's.

At the beginning of August you will now be allowed to keep an AJ. Of course ARS went out back on July 10th and gags should still be in. It's hot then. Real hot and stormy. Gags in Tampa Bay will be hibernating in that heat. Won't come out until the end of October. right after gag season closes. Unless you go far offshore our regulators have it figured you will have a "NO GAG" gag season.

That's the best I can figure right now. Confusing??? YOU figure it out.
"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Gen. Mattis
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26948

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
It's not confusing. It's actually pretty simple. They don't want us to catch fish. That's all it comes down to.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26949

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 285
Remember this mess when it comes time to vote later in the year...
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26960

• harbison
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 75
crboggs, sure wish we would see fishing more on the state, national political front. We fish, We VOTE, should be drilled into every politician seeking office. And, most of all, it should be remembered who appointed Jane Lubchenco head of NOAA. Jane Lubchenco, sometimes known as 'jelly-fish' Jane! Bob H.
Bob Harbison

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26975

• RedMan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
The offshore regulations are completely mucked. There is no doubt that this is just another step towards total governmental control. Not like our government doesn't already have their hands dipped into more shit than they should. The feds do not want us fishing in the gulf of mexico plain and simple. If there was actual sound science backing up this information, it would be a lot more difficult than it is to go out and put a limit of gags in the box. The gag grouper limit was 5 fish for the longest time, and now we're left with 2 fish per person for the shortest season ever when the water is hot and the fish are deep. I still go offshore all the time and hardly ever bring meat home, I fish mainly for sport. But DAMNIT, I hate throwing back those fat gags. There needs to be a huge change if we are ever going to reach the light at the end of this tunnel.

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26978

• harbison
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 75
Redman, that "Huge change" begins at the very top and filter down. There is a reason why Jane Lubchenco was appointed as head of NOAA. Dear Jane came from deep within the ranks of the EDF & has strong ties to Pew. EDF & Pew, two of the most radical so called 'environmentalist' of them all. True! As you said. The feds do not want us fishing in their pond, or anywhere else, without first paying the price, the price as in catch shares. This nonsense is going on from Florida to Maine; from California to Alaska, and all points in between. WE fish, WE vote! Let's let November 2010 be only the beginning.
Bob H.
Catch Shares Jane:
Bob Harbison

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26980

• FishHawk
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Can't believe the responses. If this was Mel's forum I would have three replys calling me a racist, bigot, or some other nasty thing. Each of your replys are rational, realistic and correct.

WOW!
"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim."
Gen. Mattis

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #26997

• pickgrin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 691
" They don't want us to catch fish. That's all it comes down to."

"Remember this mess when it comes time to vote later in the year..."

" There needs to be a huge change if we are ever going to reach the light at the end of this tunnel."

This all comes down to 1 thing. Our Federal Government is out of control - PERIOD. Fishing is our passion and is directly negatively effected - but then so too are many other aspects of our lives. The extreme deficit spending, the Federal Reserve printing Trillions and devaluing every dollar in your pocket, the now never ending "wars" that cost Trillions and kill thousands and actually create more terrorists instead of eradicate them. Have you tried to board an airplane lately for God's sake? This could all be stopped if we will collectively remember that it is OUR responsibility as US citizens to protect our Liberties at all cost by electing only those representatives who will follow the US Constitution. I know of only one Candidate running for Executive office who actually follows the Constitution with every decision he makes while serving in public office. His 30 year Congressional voting record proves this and despite what the media tells you, this candidate is racking up actual delegates for the Tampa GOP Convention at an astonishing pace. What happens in Tampa in late August will be interesting - that's for sure. And I hope all who are tired of the Federal Government mandating and dictating things that should Constitutionally be dealt with at the state and local levels will climb aboard this Liberty train and encourage others to do the same.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #27025

• SnookerDoug
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
You must mean this guy pickgrin... I don't think we would have to deal with these ridiculous fishing regulations under a Paul administration.

Why More Regulation Makes Things Worse

by Ron Paul

Since the bailout bill passed, I have been frequently disturbed to hear “experts” wrongly blaming the free market for our recent economic problems and calling for more regulation. In fact, further regulation can only make things worse.

It is important to understand that regulators are not omniscient. It is not feasible for them to anticipate every possible thing that could go wrong with whatever industry or activity they are regulating. They are making their best guesses when formulating rules. It is often difficult for those being regulated to understand the many complex rules they are expected to follow. Very wealthy corporations hire attorneys who may discover a myriad of loopholes to exploit and render the spirit of the regulations null and void. For this reason, heavy regulation favors big business against those small businesses who cannot afford high-priced attorneys.

The other problem is the trust that people blindly put in regulations, and the moral hazard this creates. Too many people trust government regulators so completely that they abdicate their own common sense to these government bureaucrats. They trust that if something violates no law, it must be safe. How many scams have “It’s perfectly legal” as a hypnotic selling point, luring in the gullible?

Many people did not understand the financial house of cards that are derivatives, but since they were legal and promised a great return, people invested. It is much the same in any area rife with government involvement. Many feel that just because their children are getting good grades at a government school, they are getting a good education. After all, they are passing the government-mandated litmus test. But, this does not guarantee educational excellence. Neither is it always the case that a child who does NOT achieve good marks in school is going to be unsuccessful in life.

Is your drinking water safe, just because the government says it is? Is the internet going to magically become safer for your children if the government approves regulations on it? I would caution any parent against believing this would be the case. Nothing should take the place of your own common sense and due diligence.

These principles explain why the free market works so much better than a centrally planned economy. With central planning, everything shifts from one’s own judgment about safety, wisdom and relative benefits of a behavior, to the discretion of government bureaucrats. The question then becomes “what can I get away with,” and there will always be advantages for those who can afford lawyers to find the loopholes. The result then is that bad behavior, that would quickly fail under the free market, is propped up, protected and perpetuated, and sometimes good behavior is actually discouraged.

Regulation can actually benefit big business and corporate greed, while simultaneously killing small businesses that are the backbone of our now faltering economy. This is why I get so upset every time someone claims regulation can resolve the crisis that we are in. Rather, it will only exacerbate it.

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #27068

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
SnookerDoug! Is that you in that picture? If so, I just want to let you know that I found that picture on Mad Snooker's facebook page and used it as inspiration for a long time! I swear to you, I still have it saved on my phone and show it to people sometimes when they think they caught a big snook. I tell them, "THIS is a big snook, yours is NOT big" :laughing:
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #27133

• pickgrin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 691
For added perspective, Doug is 6'3" - 250 lbs. That snook is more than 40lbs. I hope to have reason to change to a new avatar myself as Doug and I are supposed to go monster snooking w/ Dave P. next week :excited001:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both"
Benjamin Franklin

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #27134

• SnookerDoug
  • Junior Boarder
Yep... that's me in the pic. The snook was actually 39.75 lbs - 46 inches. I just round up to 40 lbs.

Re: Regulations - YOU figure Them Out 2 years 3 months ago #27135

• SnookerDoug
  • Junior Boarder
Hey... I lost weight. I am down to 230 now :)

Going to see if we can get Mike into the 30 Pound Snook Club. Well... maybe a 20 pounder anyway.