The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe...

There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... 2 years 1 month ago #29606

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 276
Hit the water early with k3anderson, my bro-n-law, and another new fishing buddy...

Marked them deep...

Caught the hell out of them...

Got a bit of a mixed bag with some lane, vermillion, mangoes, and lesser AJ mixed in...

When we were on the spot, you couldn't get to the grouper because of the reds hammering your hook. Only grouper we got was Ken dropping one of the few pinfish we had. Ran into a few sharks as well, on our other live bait. Fun to fight but detrimental to your bottom rigs.

If you want red snapper...go deep or go home right now...
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... 2 years 1 month ago #29610

• IntimiGator
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27
Nice1's . You guys tore em up!

Re: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... 2 years 1 month ago #29617

• hookthis1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Nice job cb! That one you held is a real nice ars! How much did it way? How long was it? Great report man!
Practice CPR... Catch, photograph, release

Re: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... 2 years 1 month ago #29619

• InstiGator
  • Fresh Boarder
Thats an awesome report! Congrats.

I'm probably going deep on Tuesday. What kind of bait did the red snapper like most?

Re: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... 2 years 4 weeks ago #29625

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 276
The big snapper was somewhere around 13-15 pounds or so, although I question my measurement...not sure about length. We were hooking up two or three at a time at that point and it was tough just getting pics and a hook back in the water. (On more than on instance we had triples going...) I know he felt like he weighed a ton from 120' deep. Only one I had all day that actively took line against the drag...ran back down 2-3 times after I'd cranked him up off the bottom. Ken got his snapper in the boat and jumped across to give me a brace to finish him off from about mid way. Those suckers are strong.

They were tearing up frozen sardines and frozen squid as soon as you hit the bottom and cranked them up a few times. If you want a mixed bag that includes grouper, you better take some live pinfish...the snappers won't give the grouper time to find the dead bait...

Glad to finally contribute a fishing report. Lots of guys on the board have given me lots of advice and support since we moved down and I joined up here. Hope to have more reports in the future. =]
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats

Re: There's no RED SNAPPER out there...Nope...Maybe... 2 years 4 weeks ago #29630

• yelladevil17
  • Thank you received: 60
Nice work dude! Now, I'm very hopefully our Hubbard's trip will get a good amount of ARS