The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more

Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31206

• harbison
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more

Finally Amber Jack season is open. It's time to battle the monsters, time to let the battles begin!
Wednesday, August 1, after being closed for two months the Amber jack season is now open. Let's go get them, it's pay back time for all of those free meals.
Tuesday three P.M. the Florida Fisherman ll, Hubbard's Marina, is loaded and ready to go, we. are ready!
Most of us hit the bunks good and early. Battling the monsters are going to take every bit of strength, endurance, and determination we can possibly come up with. These guys like to fight; but, guess what? So do we! Let the battles begin.
It takes until 1:30 A.M. for the Florida Fisherman to reach to Northern extremes of the fabulous Florida Middle Grounds. We are hungry. Hold on! Tammy, Chef Tammy, is not with us. Steve better know his business. Hungry fishermen/women demand a great deal. Let's see what this man has to offer. Now this is a very good start:

The Grounds are absolutely stunning, warm, calm, and a bright full moon. Who could ask for anything more? Well! How about fish? immediately, the mangrove snapper begin to feast. That full moon is making them good and hungry. The action is not exceptionally fast, but steady. The mangos are running a little smaller than we would like. But their sure number is making up for their size. We are tuning up for the bigger battles sure to come. Finally! sun up. That sun is beautiful:

It's time to do battle with the monsters. Here comes the mighty AJ's. They are ready for a fight:

We are starved, Steve to the rescue with beef steak, ham, eggs, and toast. What a breakfast:

These things are getting bigger & meaner all the time:

Mister Justin Perlow, Sebring, Florida, does not believe in playing games. Justin sets his drag at 20 pounds, now that is a heavy drag. What is this? That monster is making his drag sing a song. What a fish!

The girls are getting in on the action. Go Jessica!

Michael, Tampa, used a live pin fish to tempt this brute:

Anthony knew he was in a real battle:

Mister Ed Chaney is fishing my old spot number 23. Hope he shows it the respect that special spot deserves. Well! Ed caught over 15 mangos before the sun came up. And then!

These guys are playing no games, neither are we:

(L to R) Dustin, Captain Mark Hubbard, Anthony, Matt, Vince:

Burger time! The great battles are making us hungry:

Even the mangrove snapper are getting bigger, and are still plentiful.
Take a look at that scope:

Girl Power...Jessica power:

Mister Craig Scott, a Florida Fisherman regular, uses a one ounce jig head & either a live pin or cut Spanish sardine to limit out on mangrove snapper virtually every trip:

Now that's impressive:

We did not catch many gags, but we did catch some nice ones:
Mister Tony Rapnikns, Sun City, Florida:

Mister Jimmy Johnson, Sebring, is a new comer to head boat fishing. Jimmy is using a Diowa 'Saltist,' LD 30 H, on an 'Ugly stick' rod. Look at that gag Jimmy just caught. Hold On! That's no gag. It's a monster scamp. What a beginning:

What's that Mister Craig Scott has hooked into. It's making wide circles; must be a tuna. What a fight:

Will, better known as 'Navy fishing' is proud of this red grouper. Who wouldn't be?

Dinner time. Time for Southern BBQ chicken, baked beans, potato salad, and chocolate cake. We are stuffed to the gill, and oh so battle scared. Still time for a little more fishing. The entire boat completely limited out on our two day limit of AJ's, but not quite on mangrove snapper, let's try! The after dinner bite was slow. Oh well, we have enough any way. Let's hit the bunks. Just one little problem. That darn floating sea grass clogged the water cooling systems on both air conditioners, it's hot. Time to go up-stairs. Those wide open huge picture windows are a welcome sight. It's nice up here. That breeze feels wonderful.
Before we know it, it's time to get up. Time to load our coolers with thousand of pounds of fresh caught, ice cold, fish. Even Captain Mark Hubbard, Will, and Joe can't believe their eyes:

Let's see who won the jack pot. Captain Mark Hubbard, weighs in the winners:
Will, 'Navy Fishing' wins the snapper division:

Justin takes care of the AJ category:

Rob Kane walks away with grouper cash:

Will (L), Justin, & Rob, look at the money those fish are coughing up:

What a problem, they just will not fit:

What a snapper. Jessica is one heck of a fishergirl:

Well! It's already Thursday. The Florida Fisherman, AC and all, will be leaving Friday afternoon, 3 P.M. sharp, to once again battle 'Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more' on the fabulous Florida Middle Grounds. Last Wednesday we fished the very day of the full moon, Saturday, a couple of days after, should be even better. Let the battles begin!
Be sure to check out the short action packed video of our trip. (just click on the link)

Bob Harbison Native Florida Sportsman
Active member Florida Outdoor Writers Association
Bob Harbison
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31212

• SunBked
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
Great read along with awesome photos. Am finding my self hungry, not sure if it is from the fish or the food .

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31213

• harbison
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks! My guess would be the food.
Bob Harbison

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31215

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 553
Another great trip that you made come alive, Bob! :)
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31220

• srchn4salmon
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Looks like a good trip Bob. Hopefully we can get into a few more Grouper. See you tomorrow!

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31221

• harbison
  • Platinum Boarder
Looking forward to it. For the last several weeks we have been fishing the far Northern edges of the Grounds. Plenty of fish, but it appears fewer grouper. Bob
Bob Harbison

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31223

• Tesilential
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Thanks a ton Bob!

You post some of the most consistently awesome reports! It's especially sweet because you are constantly giving us the news from offshore, since most of us are stuck near shore if not inshore.

Everytime I read one of your threads I am struck with an urge to sign up for a party boat and have some offshore fun!

Are you part of the crew or are you really so selfless as to book trips twice a week, spending most of your time taking pics and mental notes?

Either way you are a hero and valuable asset to this website and community!

Thanks!!!

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31224

• harbison
  • Platinum Boarder
:wife-fishin Tesilential: Sir, since you ask I will be glad to share with you why I do what I do. A couple of years ago my wife of 39 years passed away from cancer. Thelma was my everything. I then lost my brother & youngest daughter to cancer. We were always very close. I was absolutely destroyed. I have been on both anti-depressant & anxiety drugs for some time. My constant trips with Hubbard's has helped me to get off & stay off all medications. I have always been a strong family orientated individual. For years I worked professionally as a counselor for the Department of Juvenile Justice. I treated the families I worked with as I treated my own. I worked with depressed families. Trying to bring a little sun-shine into their lives helped me as much as it helped them. Now, most of my family is gone. I am retired and about 1/2 crippled. It remains a drive within me to make people happy. My photography & writing skills are about all I have left. Hopefully what I am doing brings a little sun-shine into the life of others. I love to fish; however, the very positive feedback I get from people like you means much more to me than catching a fish. People are constantly going to the mates and asking them to go get Bob to take a picture of my fish. This gives me purpose, a reason to go on living.
In no way am I affiliated with Hubbard's. I am 70 years old. The crew on the Florida Fisherman bends over backwards to assist me in any way they can. That's why I am so dedicated to Hubbard's.
Thanks for listening. Sometimes just talking helps so much. Oh! I do catch a fish every now & then. Bob
Bob Harbison

Re: Huge Amber Jacks and much, much more 2 years 1 month ago #31339

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
Awesome report Bob!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson