Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Good day

Good day 2 years 1 week ago #25606

• Toddylove
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Had a good day today. Started off real slow and I was worried I was gonna get skunked. Finally caught a small keeper trout and started to hit some mangroves that Ive caught redfish on before. First cast with shrimp on cork was hit softly 2x(thought for sure pin or lady fish) then it got hammered and after a quick sleigh ride on my yak around mangroves I touched the 30+in snook before the line finally gave way(wrapped all around the mangroves). Redid my leader and 2 cast later I get hammered again and a nice 24in Snook comes aboard. In a 40 minute period in a 25yard stretch of mangroves I caught 3 snook(the other one was around 25 1/2) and I missed or loss another 3 or 4(gonna upgrade my circle hook to a 2/0 from my normal 1/0 think it may help my hookups on the big snook. After the bite died I went to my winter time trouth hole and caught 5 decent trout then got hammered again(this time in a small cove/lagoon) hoping for a slam I bring along side my yak a 18+in spanish mackeral(first Ive caught). Those fish can really fight almost jerked rod out of hand because I was expecting a trouth with the way it hit. All in all a good day just a bit windy. Almost forgot caught a nice flounder also (all on live bait today). Tight lines all.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Good day 2 years 1 week ago #25610

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
That is a good day indeed! Where did u go?

Re: Good day 2 years 1 week ago #25619

• phatfishkayak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Nice fishing! :thumbsup:

Snook are mad fun no matter what size and spanish macks will def take some line off your reel.
Derick Burgos
Phatfish Kayak Charters
813-447-4732
www.phatfishkayakcharters.com

Re: Good day 2 years 1 week ago #25631

• Toddylove
  • Expert Boarder
4th street stayed back in the calmer waters (very windy). Spring is here, in November/ December i had two days that i caught 35 and 39 trout in the same area, yesterday less than 10 and they were small. Good trade off though trout for snook.

Re: Good day 2 years 1 week ago #25643

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
4th Street continues to dominate. I feel comfortable talking about how great this place is because it is STILL full of fish and rarely anyone fishing them. Nice work, ToddyLove. Way to represent, haha

PS did you see the little bull shark? I'm sure it's the same one; it's been frequenting the point off the open water mangroves.
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: Good day 2 years 1 week ago #25665

• Toddylove
  • Expert Boarder
Saw a shark just off that point on the flats about 3 to 4 weeks ago real shallow tearing up stuff(whole back was exposed). No sharks yesterday just a pod of manatees. This place really produced for me between Nov-mid Jan, never caught so many fish.

Re: Good day 2 years 6 days ago #25680

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 385
Real nice day, Toddy. I almost went there today to wade because of the wind. Figured it would be protected pretty well. Went to Picnic Island instead.

Glad to see that there's snook around 4th St.
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: Good day 2 years 6 days ago #25681

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 385
FishingBigGuy wrote:
PS did you see the little bull shark? I'm sure it's the same one; it's been frequenting the point off the open water mangroves.

Where are the open water mangroves? I wade there and would prefer NOT to be in the same area as the little bull!! Do you mean the small island down toward the end of the cove?
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: Good day 2 years 6 days ago #25684

• Toddylove
  • Expert Boarder
isaw the shark where the channel opens up to the bay north of 275 off to the left

Re: Good day 2 years 2 days ago #25919

• TampaFlatsMan
  • Expert Boarder
Geez 4th Street continues to be on fire! I'm really getting jealous because I've yet to make it out there. My last attempt was foiled by the weather! Great catches Toddy!

Re: Good day 2 years 2 days ago #25924

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 297
Todd, I wouldn't switch to a 2/0 if you're using shrimp or whitebait. That's too big and they might be able to see it. The only time I would upgrade my hook fishing for snook is if I'm using bigger bait; mullet, cutbait. The more meat you're putting the hook through the bigger the hook should be. But if you're putting shrimp on a 2/0 there's too much hook and the fish is more likely to see the hook. Just my opinion and I'm sure others will say the same.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson
The following user(s) said Thank You: Toddylove