The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Weedon Island Flats (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weedon Island Flats

Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26346

• TampaBK
  • Fresh Boarder
There have been some gator trout on the flats just off Weedon. I finally got a little break from the newborn baby and the wind on Saturday and Sunday evening to do some much needed fishing therapy. Since it is so close to my house, I paddled out from Gandy Beach. Usually I target redfish by the submerged pilings just on ther other side of the channel that runs along that beach, but conditions were good enough for me to explore a little bit. So, I had in mind to paddle out to the range marker opposite where the PP is and see what I could catch next to it. But, about half way there on the flat I realized the mullet were jumping and fish were all around me so I anchored up right there in "no mans land". Using live shrimp on the bottom was really effective and I could seldom keep my line in the water from more than a minute without my bait being attacked. On Sat. I had a bottom slot trout in the canoe after the first cast. A few pinfish later, I had a 22" inch Trout, then a small keeper mangrove snapper and then landed and realeased another 21"+ speck.

Although the wind picked up again Sunday evening, I had a similar experience as Saturday. Looks like trout is on the menu for the month of May. Sorry no pictures, I geuss I need to invest in a little water proof camera.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26347

• crboggs
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 271
TampaBK wrote:
Sorry no pictures, I geuss I need to invest in a little water proof camera.

I strongly recommend the Kodak Playsport. Cheap and great for kids stuff.
-Chris
Tampa FL
1995 Mako 181 Flats
The following user(s) said Thank You: TampaBK

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26348

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Nice! Thanks for the fishing report! :thumbsup:

What structure were you fishing when you caught the mangrove snapper?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26355

• GeoffS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Nice job and welcome! I've fished that area a few times this past month and the trout bite has been good. I've yet to hook onto anything else there other than the usual pinfish, ladyfish, puffers and catfish. If conditions are good enough and you have the time, there are some great grass beds just past the bend beyond the powerplant. I ventured that way for the first time this past week and had a blast. I don't think you could go wrong anywhere in that whole area though.

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26366

• TampaBK
  • Fresh Boarder
I didn't see any structure around. From what I could tell, It was nothing but grass flats and sand spots and I was really far from the mangrove line. I was suprised when I pulled it up.

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26383

• CWells
  • Fresh Boarder
I was just out there Sunday. We launched from Weedon Island and worked the flats by the sandbar people usually hang out at. I caught a nice slot trout and my girlfriend landed three underslot reds. It was our second time kayak fishing, so we were just exploring the area really. I'll have to make my way out to those flats on the bayside. The wind had picked up Sunday so we stayed in.

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26392

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
TampaBK wrote:
I didn't see any structure around. From what I could tell, It was nothing but grass flats and sand spots and I was really far from the mangrove line. I was suprised when I pulled it up.

Yea man, I guess they hang out in all kinds of areas. I caught one in the backwater of the Kitchen once close to the shoreline
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26412

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Yeah usually those bigger mangoes swim around open bottom a lot. They are especially common on hard bottoms, especially with irregularities like ledges, bumps, etc. Great fishing report, glad you got to venture out!
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26413

• FishingBigGuy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
And congrats on the newborn!
"Best wishes for big fishes!"

Christopher Giblin
Tampa, FL
The following user(s) said Thank You: TampaBK

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26430

• groupernugget
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Congrats on the baby!

If you stay on the deeper edge of the weedon flats you can catch trout all day long with shrimps under popping corks. I went out there for about an hour on Sunday too because I had to entertain my girlfriend's family. The 8 year old girl my girlfriend babysits hooked and reeled in a 22" trout all by herself!

imagejpeg952.jpg

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26509

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 279
there he goes....the girlfriend is introducing small children into the mix that claim to "love fishing". Everybody please wish groupernuggets a happy marriage and goodluck on the 6 kids hes going to be a part of over the next 4 years. Good luck :excited001:
Team BF

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26511

• groupernugget
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
4 years?!?! I'm good for about 2 at best. And 6 kids might take about 20 years to produce at the current rate...

Re: Weedon Island Flats 2 years 2 months ago #26534

• phatfishkayak
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
:thumbsup:

Great report. That is a great spot for trout, Big Redfish and lotsa Snook. Further out near the channel you can get into Spanish Macks, Cobia, Jack Crevalle and much, much more..
Derick Burgos
Phatfish Kayak Charters
813-447-4732
www.phatfishkayakcharters.com