The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Live Bait (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Live Bait

Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26583

• JeffW
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Anyone have any suggestions for catching live bait in Double Branch....lures have been real good recently for redfish and I would like to target the snook that run thru there.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26589

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 299
I haven't been there in a few months, but last summer there was bait all around the mouth of DB, so you might want to check there
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26593

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 331
it looks like someone missed the seminar! lol. check out the fishy spots map on this site.
Team BF

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26594

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
I'm thinkin I'm gonna test out the homemade kayak livewell this weekend. I'm going to do what capt Dave suggested in his article, chumming with cat food I think it was. AND check the fishy spot maps to see where they are. I think in total my livewell cost about 100 bux including 750 gallons / hr livewell pump and rechargable battery where Hobies well is 250 and has 1/2 the flow. I think with the extra flow I should be able to keep a lot more bait alive. Bait dies due to low oxygen/excessive heat in the well IMO.

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26597

• DavidT
Chris, catfood isn't as good as Purina tropical fish food. And it's pretty cheap too...you can get a big bag of it at TFO for like $5
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26601

• JeffW
  • Expert Boarder
nope...was at the seminar..which created the renewed interest in live baits...which tends to be a bit more challenging from a kayak as opposed throttling up from spot to spot

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26602

• JeffW
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks, will give it a shot and let you know

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26603

• DavidT
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. wrote:
Thanks, will give it a shot and let you know

cool man please do. i'd like to know if it's over there too

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26607

• Lostmans1
  • Thank you received: 331
you can get a 60 lb ( i think) of purina fish food for ($22) i think. I only buy it once every 18 months or so. I go to the feed store on the corner of bearss and nebraska. Do not leave the bag in our garage, if you plan on using it for chum I highly reccommend getting a big tupperware container and as soon as you buy it, portion it out into ziplock gallon size bags, that way, when you need it you can just grab a bag and go, and it will keep moisture, rats, and other crap out of it.
Team BF

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26609

• cwegescheide
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
DavidT wrote:
Chris, catfood isn't as good as Purina tropical fish food. And it's pretty cheap too...you can get a big bag of it at TFO for like $5

I meant if you want to chum for catfish.. :laughing: catfood, what was I thinking, I don't even have a cat!

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26610

• DavidT
cwegescheide wrote:
DavidT wrote:

I meant if you want to chum for catfish.. :laughing: catfood, what was I thinking, I don't even have a cat!

:laughing:

that's hilarious. people actually chum with cat food a lot...and it actually works good, but not as good as Purina tropical fish food

Re: Live Bait 2 years 4 months ago #26734

• JeffW
  • Expert Boarder
Not a lot of bait fish at the mouth of DB, but that may be more on me than the location. Alot of boats and kayaks at the mouth though looking for snook...I fished some mangroves a bit more inside DB which have been productive the past few weeks with keeper redfish, and the ladyfish action was good.
Attachments: