The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: Couldn't find one fish (1/1)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Couldn't find one fish

Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26773

• Nick81
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I made it out to the flatts in the north side of Howard park and couldn't find one fish. I was the at 7 am and was even there for the high tide to come in. I was using live bait and gulp baits. I paddle my kayak all over the place and not one bite. Can anyone tell me what I was doing wrong? Please help, I am new to saltwater fishing, I grew up on freshwater.
Just trying to make as many stories as I can
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26775

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
There could be a variety of reasons that you didn't catch anything...what were you using for tackle? Were you using a weight? Were you using flurocarbon leader? What size hook were you using? Were you casting your bait out far away from your kayak? What type of live bait were you using? Were you making noise on your kayak? Did you see any mullet activity? If so, were you fishing close to (or directly in) the mullet schools?

All those things could play a major factor in fishing, but the most important thing is: were you fishing where the fish were? Maybe not....or, they might just not have been eating...they could have just ate before you got there...
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26776

• john424
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 33
Nick81:
I too have been fishing the area you mentioned. Was out Sunday and the bite was very slow?? Mabey this moon we have right now?? Got one keeper Trout (17").
The best area I;ve found past 2 months is straight out from Sunset beach about 1 mile into 4-5 ft of water. The slowest bite has been more toward Fred Howard park??
Also got some Trout and Mackeral in 10 ft. out from Three Rooker island.Good luck.

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26782

• Nick81
  • Junior Boarder
I was using light tackle, 12 lb test and free lining white bait, also tried some new penny gulps and some nuclear chicken gulps. The funny thing is that I didn't see any fish swimming or anything. I was on my kayak equipped with my humminbird 170. I really like the area and refuse to give up on it. Maybe your right with the moon thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cheapgdemd

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26783

• Nick81
  • Junior Boarder
I did see lots of mullet. What does that mean?And the noise was at an absolute minimal. I was also using 1/0 owners hooks.

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26788

• DavidT
  • Thank you received: 298
Yea, so chances are, there just might not have been that many fish in the area if you didn't see anything....but always try to fish mullet schools. Redfish tend to follow them as they kick up food that they don't eat, so redfish eat it. Also, you will find other species mixed in with them...snook and trout
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26790

• barrynfla
  • Thank you received: 498
Dave T. is right about the mullet schools. The reds tend to be down near the bottom under the mullet while the trout and snook are higher in the water column. Cut bait sometimes works great on the bottom of the schools.
Retired.......no boss, no clock, no worries, no money

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #26791

• Nick81
  • Junior Boarder
That's great guys, I really appreciate the insight. Next time I will tear um up.

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #27007

• DanTheMan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
One other tip is making long casts.

That can be tough free-lining white bait and casting from a kayak, but IMO the farther you get it away from you the better. The reds and snook in a 30 yard radius around are almost always spooked.

Dan
Wade the flats for r/s/st/f with greenbacks or chubs on a Carolina rig. Moving between spots, I like to throw gold spoons or topwater (in the morning). Throw soft plastics on a 1/8th jighead (z-man minnowz) for flounder and trout in the winter. Kayak fish also, troll a spoon or lipped Rapala...

Re: Couldn't find one fish 2 years 2 months ago #27009

• Nick81
  • Junior Boarder
That's good to know, I'm so use to bass fishing were I would be right on top of them flippin jigs. Lots to learn about saltwater.