Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Good day at Gandy despite weather

Good day at Gandy despite weather 1 year 10 months ago #28034

• Toddylove
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The weather really affected my fishing plans over my mini vacation so this morning hell or high water I made the 1.5 hour trip to Gandy/4th street and I was the only one on the water. I really didnt expect much because of the weather. I went to my first lil honey hole I always hit and bam redfish, bam redfish, bam(well you get the picture). 2 hours later and 9 redfish 18-24 inches and one big snook that broke me off(my fault should have checked the leader after a few fish). The weather moved in on me(caught a 20in red on my last cast). Not wanting to sound greedy but if the rain had held off I would have had a chance at my personal record of 14 reds. On a side note I went to CRB on Friday. It was very hot and windy(been there 4x and the wind has always kicked my butt). Caught a trout on first cast with Mirrorlure then proceeded to catch 12 more small trout over about 3 hours(fishing was a little slow). Stopped by some mangroves that have served me well in the past and caught 3 snook 2 were small and one was around 27in. Did have a bigger one break me off as I tried to manhandle him out of the mangroves(saw his side guessing 30in). On a final note the reds I caught today had the bluest tails Ive ever seen does anyone know what causes this. Tight Lines. =)))

P.S Im posting no more pics unless the fish breaks the 30inch rule.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Good day at Gandy despite weather 1 year 10 months ago #28045

• GeoffS
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Awesome! I'm not sure if it's true but I have read that the blue comes from the redfish eating blue crabs. Seems reasonable to me though. I'm looking to head out to the Gandy/4th st area this week and I'll be looking for reds and snook. I haven't caught either before but seems like a good place for me to look! Thanks for the report :thumbsup:

Re: Good day at Gandy despite weather 1 year 10 months ago #28054

• Carolinaboy11
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Sounds like you have about got those fish figured out! Do you normally horn hook them?
Three-fourths of the Earth’s surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the
lawn.

Re: Good day at Gandy despite weather 1 year 10 months ago #28125

• Toddylove
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yep I horn hook the shrimp. It took me a while to figure it out, but with the snook and reds i dont jerk the rattlecork I just let the tide push it back towards the mangroves. If Im more than 4 feet off the mangroves Im not gonna get hit unless its a trout. If I dont get a hit in a few minutes I will jerk the cork one or two times and sometimes this will get me a hit from a redfish. Goodluck the mothernlaw is in this weekend so Im probaly not getting in the water :angry: