The Online Fisherman Forums :: Topic: How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? (3/5)
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to use barnacles for Sheepshead?

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 1 week ago #73180

• poyssick
  • Publisher
  • Gary Poyssick, Publisher
  • Thank you received: 330
From an article in the Sarasota paper. I forgot to get the authors name cause I only wanted the Latin names.

Common Spider Crab (Libinia emarginata)

Be careful, this crab hides in plain sight. I'm not sure it's not a different species because they were bright orange instead of the listed and shown gray. I observed similar ones, with large amounts of dark seaweed covering their bodies, even when they crawled out on a rock.

Speckled Crab (Arenaeus cribrarius)

Another of the swimming crabs, the edges of its body caught my eye as did the pale coloring. It apparently likes to hide in the sand, perhaps that explains its coloring.

Gray Marsh Crab (Sesarma cinerum)

Clearly due to the square back, the location of the eyes, and the shape of the legs, this is either a marsh or fiddler crab. These are hiding their front claws, so it could be that they have a large one, but I don't think so. None of the pictures showed red-fingered claws except the Purple Marsh Crab during mating. I chose the name Gray Marsh Crab because the listing claims its locale as pilings above the tidewaters as shown. The picture was taken at Burnt Store Marina.

Common Mud Crab (Panopeus herbstii)

Color, shape, locale, and a white tip at the base of the upper finger makes this a fairly safe guess. The common mud crabs are oval, like shallow water and are sometimes seen on land.
JOIN CCA if you take our sport and our environment seriously...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 1 week ago #73196

• Afishionado
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sight Fishing Aficionado
  • Thank you received: 134
poyssick wrote:
Peeled shrimp tails. I will eat your lunch. You use crabs or stardust. I will use peeled shrimp and #8 wire hooks.

Kill y'all.

thats another great bait.. they can get it in their mouth very easily .. plus you can pick up some really awesome bycatch on shrimp.. one of the biggest reds ive ever caught hit a cut piece of shrimp while i was sheepin in the barge canal.. elephants eat peanuts.. :evil:
Inshore Fishing Classes! Click Below!

www.SpaceCoastFishingClass.weebly.com

100% Handmade Florida Soft and Hard Baits!

www.BanksLures.com

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 1 week ago #73245

• Anclote Key 47
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
So what I think i'm hearing is that I can enjoy a shrimp cocktail appetizer and then use my leftovers to catch a sheepshead dinner. I like the sound of that.

IMG_20131110_071526.jpg

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 1 week ago #73272

• AndyS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Andrew Schoener
  • Thank you received: 379
I can't believe no one on this fishing forum never fliped rocks to get them little grabs that were NOT stone crabs. Sorry I put the wrong picture up. A lot of us on the Capt. Mell site used them. It was a very good bait for sheepshead. Oh well, what do we know. I'm all mixed up. LOL!
Andrew Schoener
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil030

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 1 week ago #73274

• Phil030
  • Thank you received: 813
AndyS wrote:
I can't believe no one on this fishing forum never fliped rocks to get them little grabs that were NOT stone crabs. Sorry I put the wrong picture up. A lot of us on the Capt. Mell site used them. It was a very good bait for sheepshead. Oh well, what do we know. I'm all mixed up. LOL!
Haha yeah I used to flip rocks as a kid due to my grandfather telling me to find more crabs and he was the man at catching sheeps! Redfish inhale them too! My girlfriends kids love to hunt them when we all go out to the beaches... They work wonders!
See it - Fight it - Land it.

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 1 week ago #73310

• BobD
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
I've flipped rocks and used those black crabs. Had the FWC check them and said they were NOT stone crabs. Walk a shore line at low tide and flip some rocks. good bait for sheepshead.

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 6 days ago #73648

• Arti-6
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 793
Alright so I received an email reply from an FWC crustacean scientist and the debated crab picture is NOT a juvi stone crab. I also received this attachment which is very helpful.

If you guys go and try to get these rock crabs as bait please make sure you are not grabbing any juvi stone crabs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptJack_1, Phil030, Afishionado

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 6 days ago #73660

• AndyS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Andrew Schoener
Yes, the mud crab is the ones I was talking about. Flip some shore line rocks and give them a try for sheepshead. Make sure you have gloves on when fliping rocks.
Andrew Schoener

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 6 days ago #73673

• Afishionado
  • Platinum Boarder
well then.. i have no problem admitting that i am an idiot in need of smiting .. :argue:

i was way off.. thank you for setting the record straight.. i feel even dumber considering all the great bait ive passed up thinking they were stone crabs lmao..

www.BanksLures.com

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 6 days ago #73676

• Phil030
  • Thank you received: 813
Afishionado wrote:
well then.. i have no problem admitting that i am an idiot in need of smiting .. :argue:

i was way off.. thank you for setting the record straight.. i feel even dumber considering all the great bait ive passed up thinking they were stone crabs lmao..
:laughing: LMAO dude!
See it - Fight it - Land it.

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 6 days ago #73692

• Arti-6
  • NOW ONLINE
Afishionado wrote:

It's all good bro! It's good because this thread will help educate other anglers on this topic and like you said now you won't miss out on some killer sheepshead bait.

I wanna try using the little black mangrove crabs for sheeps, snapper, and redfish bait. Has anybody tried to use them before?

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 2 days ago #74365

• Arti-6
  • NOW ONLINE
Arti-6 wrote:
Afishionado wrote:

It's all good bro! It's good because this thread will help educate other anglers on this topic and like you said now you won't miss out on some killer sheepshead bait.

I wanna try using the little black mangrove crabs for sheeps, snapper, and redfish bait. Has anybody tried to use them before?

So I went out today and caught a bunch of these mangrove tree crabs and I must say that they are a killer bait. I even caught a small snook on one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: AndyS

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 2 days ago #74368

• Afishionado
  • Platinum Boarder
nice bro!! looks like you found you some candy

www.BanksLures.com

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 2 days ago #74412

• Arti-6
  • NOW ONLINE
I have like a dozen or so big ones left that I might try to use for redfish.

How to use barnacles for Sheepshead? 10 months 2 days ago #74440

• AndyS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Andrew Schoener
Were do you find the mangrove tree crabs? They are different then the ones we call rock crabs, that we find under rocks at edge of water.
Andrew Schoener