• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I didn't post this until now because I have enough people putting me down telling me how I can't do what I am thinking. Firecat has given me some great advice , but in a mature manner told me to do smaller projects first.Well I can't let it go. I'm going all in and any one who tells me no again can say it upon deaf ears .I love my Gheenoe . I wish she was a bit longer and a bit wider. I wish I had decks and more.Well here is what I am going to try . If I fail then at last I will be satisfied knowing I tried.I have grounded down the whole outside of the noe to the resin. I have cut the middle seat out and ground out a big area .I am trying to make a jig . When done and I have my pattern I and cutting her in half width ways. I will be glassing in 4' to her length .If this is successful I will them cut her from front to back. Radius from flush to 18'' at the transom.All works out I will be adding bulk heads inside the whole boats length and width for strength . Then I will add a flat floor 3'' from the bottom. Fully glassed in to add more strength . Foam 100% underneath for buoyancy .If everything ti ok then I will be adding 3'' to the height of the walls. This is so I can add a large front/ rear/ and middle deckThis is something that I can't get out of my head. It's like a sickness so please don't get to negative on me in here.
  • lunchoxb likes this

Free Reach Arounds :)

#2 OFFLINE   sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

This is my progress as of today.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageMy son cleaning today.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 OFFLINE   crboggs

crboggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Go big or go home! Curious to see how it turns out!

#4 OFFLINE   gulfscuba

gulfscuba

Gulfscuba

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL
  • Gulfscuba

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hey, what ever makes you happy! Sounds like a worthy project to me!

Shut up and fish!

#5 OFFLINE   freaky

freaky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:27 AM

That might keep you out of trouble for a while!

#6 OFFLINE   firecat1981

firecat1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Hope it works out.From a safety perspective I hope you are wearing a good N95 mask when doing the grinding! Fiberglass dust will mess your lungs up extremely quickly and permanently! I can't tell if your kid is wearing a mask while vacuuming but if not get some before letting him near again cause younger lungs damage quicker. I usually use the ones at home depot with the exhalation valves, they are only a few dollars. Gheenoe's are cheap and plentiful, so if it doesn't work you can pick up another one quickly. Or get a bigger model like a classic or LT25, or even an offshoot like a riverhawk (which come much wider) or towee.

#7 OFFLINE   barrynfla

barrynfla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

You can do it, Marshil! More than I would try but certainly worth a shot, for sure. :)

#8 OFFLINE   davidt

davidt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Looking forward to seeing your progress....definitely doable I'm sure, but a lot more than I'd tackle myself. Good luck!

#9 OFFLINE   sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hope it works out.From a safety perspective I hope you are wearing a good N95 mask when doing the grinding! Fiberglass dust will mess your lungs up extremely quickly and permanently! I can't tell if your kid is wearing a mask while vacuuming .

He was wearing it will I came back and took a pick. I bought nice masks so ya while I grinded he wore his. I smoke so I kept taking mine off . The dust was settled down so he was relatively safe.Me lol well I get hurt a lot so I don't worry about protection much. Been smoking for 22 years. I was on a job cutting panels for a month. Found out later it was asbestos . So I already plan on having ling issues sooner or later. Need to quit smoking ugh .

#10 OFFLINE   firecat1981

firecat1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Definitely quite smoking, I have tons of COPD patients and even though I'm not a smoker it freaks me out.Check out this guys build. One of the nicest highsider's I've seen, stock hull, but nice work.http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5144

#11 OFFLINE   sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

Well after my A.D.D kicked in I went to the shop tonight . No turning back now........Posted ImagePosted ImageBraces worked great. No movement after the cut.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThis is the length desired.Posted ImagePosted ImageCutting the jig.Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 OFFLINE   sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Rough week at work. Put in 59 hours in 5 days. I went in today fabbed and installed the metal mold . Looks god to me. Most likely will clean, wax, buff, and glass next weekend. nervous as hell .Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 OFFLINE   davidt

davidt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Reminds me of that 70 foot Indian canoe they found sunk and buried in Weedon Island lolGood job man!

#14 OFFLINE   glassmates

glassmates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Awesome,Awesome and more Awesome! I can't describe how impressed I am with your mold!

#15 OFFLINE   arti-6

arti-6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

:thumbsup: Lookin good! I can't wait to see it finished. Do you plan on putting in casting decks?

#16 OFFLINE   arti-6

arti-6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Just read that you are putting in decks.

#17 OFFLINE   arti-6

arti-6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:02 AM

I saw this gheenoe rebuild awhile ago:http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1330526485/15 Might be able to get some ideas.
  • fishingbigguy likes this

#18 OFFLINE   fishingbigguy

fishingbigguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I'm slowly in the process of redoing my old Gheenoe. Mine will be pretty basic as I lack tools and space for drastic overhauls such as yours, but I am very anxious to see how your Gheenoe makes out!

#19 OFFLINE   sideshow

sideshow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Check out customgheenoe.com Forums owned by gheenoe. go into bragging spot and you can get a lot of good ideas on there on wheat to do . That site is what Helped me get brave enough to dare this job .

#20 OFFLINE   firecat1981

firecat1981

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

If you go WAY back in the archives of customgheenoe you will see some of my old stuff from years ago. It's a good group of guys and they are very helpful. It's not owned by Gheenoe though, Custom Gheenoe is actually a separate company owned by the founders son, they offer different models then the originals, but you can still buy the original 15.4, 13er, classic, and super from his father.