Carolina Beaches See 7th Shark Attack in Three Weeks
Might want to try the pool or lake for awhile.
OCRACOKE ISLAND, N.C. — A 68-year-old man was pulled under the water by a shark Wednesday in the Outer Banks — this time on Ocracoke Island.
Andrew Costello was swimming outside the first breaker about 25 feet offshore, directly in front of the lifeguard stand, when he encountered a gray shark about 7-feet long, said Hyde County officials.
A lifeguard saw the shark pull Costello under the water. He suffered several bites to his rib cage, hip, lower leg and both hands.
A witness told CNN he saw a "trail of blood from water to the sand."
Costello was able to swim out of the water, where a doctor who happened to be in the area was able to stabilize him, said Justin Gibbs with Hyde County EMS. Costello, who was visiting from Massachusetts, was then airlifted off the island to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, N.C. He was stable and alert, officials said.
Wednesday's attack marks the seventh incident on North Carolina beaches in June and July. Last year, there were only four reported in the state through the summer. George Burgess, director of the Florida Program for Shark Research, said there are several environmental factors that make North Carolina appear to be a "perfect storm" for shark activity this summer.
Read the rest of the story below.
FOX News 8