Sign in to follow this  
firecat1981

How to build your own Jackplate

okay fire i got over the flu i painted the whole boat will put picture up soon its foggy outside waiting on my galvanized tires to come wednesday to do the trailer so i can put the boat on it but i have some measurements for advise on the plate here we go i measured the transom its 16" and from the motor mounting transom bracket down to the caviation plate its 23" maybe less cause the guy had the motor tilted back a inch or two trying to get a little rise on the plate. but i need to lift 6" or 5" sounds like a lot also like you said on the boat mount angle bar that is bolted to the transom wall i want to go longer to get more foot catch on the wall wit support but i wont bolt on the bracket below waterline lol hope you understand me oh and the welding i think ill will let Trapper from swamp people tv show weld my transom area so the transom will be done by a professional Posted Image

post-938-14121216125345_thumb.jpg

You need to get an accurate measurement on the motor. Either build a motor stand, or wait until the transom is welded in and hang the motor on it. Set the boat and motor level then measure where the bottom of the boat is compaired to the cavitation plate. 23" seems a little off, it's either a 20" long shaft (which can work) or maybe a 25 inche extra long shaft (which won't work.

It's a 20" shaft i said 23 cause he had the motor tilted back its 20" and the transom is 16" thats the measurements i stood it up measured down to the plate its 20" lol but here's the boat finished painting it i got my galvanized tires and rims yesterday but etrailer sent the wrong size spindle nut so now i have to get that from the hardware store down here in the next two weeks ill be putting in the deck and painting on some non skid coating but as soon as i get the boat on the trailer ill put a picture up. ;)Posted ImagePosted Image

post-938-14121216125947_thumb.jpg

post-938-14121216126086_thumb.jpg

post-938-14121216126245_thumb.jpg

been busy getting over the flu i am almost there i got the jack plate together just got to screw my deck down saturday and then get started with the jack plate like you did with my final adjustments and screw through the transom and bolt the plate down and my motor transom will be bolted through the aluminum like you said last question if i use treated wood for my motor plate do i still have to epoxy the wood my plate will be 12"x 12" my angle bars or 12" and 15" im looking at afour inch rise or 5" http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/jack_plate_stage_one.jpg

post-938-14121216159709_thumb.jpg

post-938-14121216159838_thumb.jpg

Here is the aluminum flat plate 12"x12"x1/4 to go inside the transom to spread the load could not find the metal here but ordered it from Aluminum Supply Inc. total was $60.65 6061-t6 aluminum Posted Image

post-938-14121216159962_thumb.jpg

If you use pressure treated wood you would not need to coat it in epoxy. However pressure treated wood doesn't like to bond very well because of the high moisture content. I would stick with the non-pressure treated kind, bond it together with whatever glue you want that is water proof (I'd still use some kind of epoxy). Theninstead of coating it in epoxy you can give it a few coats of spray paint to protect it.

okay gotcha fire i will put my trailers lights on today then put the boat on the trailer and start my jack plate board and i will go with the same method you went with using the epoxy thanks finishing is near lol finally

got the motor on the jack plate almost done just have to build my steering console and get my tags im going fishing soon lol but before that i have to take it off and weld up that back transom wall take out the short 2x6 and put a long piece in then bolt that down with aluminum flat bars to keep my transom from bouncing but it came out okay been busy dealing with life lol Posted Image

post-938-14121216211964_thumb.jpg

this the whole boat got the 1/2" treated plywood deck painted with nonskid paint called SURE STEP at $27-29 a gallon at home depot then mixed Al's rubber crumb you can buy from ebay for $12 mixed into the non skid paint i have a soft but tough non slip deck for under $60 sure beats paying $140-165 on anti skid or slip paint from other companies and it holds up well even under the sun but next i have to add the steering console and bolt down the transom wall with four aluminum flat bars 1/4" thick to keep the transom from flexing under use. but all in all we getting ready to go fishing soon thanks for your help firecat. lol the gray seat is my suburban third seat that wont be there i had to move it to cut grass lol i will have better pictures when im done Posted Image

post-938-14121216212095_thumb.jpg

soon my dad has to get the titles and paper put in his name to get the stickers and numbers then i will name the boat possums smiles lol but we shooting for may speckle trouts come in pretty hard around may

i have an 10ft tinny which is quite old but in good condition, i have a 3.5hp on it and want to get an 15hp on it. i want to make the transom stronger and so would a jack plate be the answer? thanks! or how could i strengthen it? the whole boat is aluminum

Wow, this is an old post...I'm not sure if the guy who started it comes on here anymore, but I bet a few people will be able to help you with that question. I just bought my first boat so I'm still in the infant learning stage lolWelcome to the site! :greet:

Dave I'm on here like every day, lol.Sabeckie, no a jackplate will not strengthen a transom, actually just the opposite as it puts stress on a transom so you must make sure yours is strong before adding one. 15hp is a lot, maybe too much power and weight for a 10 footer, what is the hulls max rating? It should be stamped on the back right corner. I'm guessing 5-10hp.If it is an all aluminum transom then you can have a shop bend you up some reinforcement pieces and rivet them it. It's harder to do this kind of work on an aluminum boat but it is possible.

I realize this is a super old post but I'm looking for tips on aluminum angle measurement... I need to build this jack plate on a 10ft aluminum rowboat with a 15in transom and the motor I need to raise is a LS 6hp (55lbs) somehow measured 22 inches from cav to top of transom mount.... I need to get the motor up 7 inches(ish). Can I still copy this build and raise it 7 inches or should I cut my angle longer? Firecat recommended 9 inches under the transom for support but his motor was a lot heavier than mine which is why I'm wondering if I can get away with just 5 below the top or the transom and 7 over.

Thanks.