Sign in to follow this  
firecat1981

The PLYTANIC! (design and building a flats skiff)

Due to a house full of sick people and another cold blast I'm falling behing of where I was hoping to be at this point. I'm still trying to move foward as best I can.Before I work on the stringers I decided to do the stiffeners to help retain the shape better. Some call them rub rails, but really for this build they are a structural component that will help support the decks later, a rigid/flex rub rail will be added later. This also smoothes out the sheer shape very nicely and makes the curves more natural.I cut 2 inch strips out of left over Meranti for the rubrails/side stiffeners and primed with epoxy.Posted ImageUsing thickened epoxy I attatched them to the sides. Some people like to use screws for this part, to me it doesn't make sense since you then need to punch dozens of holes in your rails and in your hull panels and since they are screw holes you would need to drill them smooth and fill them later. A few clamps and some cheap spring clamps made from 4" pvc saves you from having to do this.Posted ImagePosted ImageLast thing I did was join the boards that will become the stringers later on.Posted ImageI'll need to do atleast 1 more layer of meranti for the rub rails and once the stringers are set I'll be able to flip her and work on the bottom. Hopefully I'll be working on the bottom next weekend.

Things are still moving slower then I want, but I'll have to deal. I picked up the stringers to move and heard an awful noise, crack. One of my stringers had a bad void in it, so I had to fill it and reinforce it before I could continue. After that I went over each stringer and filled any voids I could find. Then I measured them out and cut them down. Next I set them up to make sure they will work, I have some serious gaps towards the bow, but a little thickend epoxy will cure that.Posted ImageI glued the stringers together and then down as best I can, I will go back later and fill the voids and make the fillets before laying down some glass tape. I will most likely scab in extra supports later on once I finalize the interior layout and tie in my bulkheads.Posted ImageI will also add another layer of 4mm meranti to the rubrails/stiffeners before I flip her.

Do you add bracing at the chine or is the glass enough?

Once glassed on both sides the fiberglass will be enough, but I am planning on extra bracing later on both at the sides and in between the stringers. I haven't really finished deciding how I will lay out the interior yet. Once I decide how big the front and rear decks will be I can set my bulkheads in place and then add the additional bracing.

I'm at a crossroads of sorts with the interior layout. I was hoping to get her flipped this weekend but decided that the interior needed more attention then the outside. I made a little progress, but have some plans in the works.Last piece of rubrail laminated in place.Posted ImageI really wasn't looking foward to this part, I had to fillet the stringers in which took forever to finish up and quite a bit of thickened epoxy. Thankfully the major part is over.Posted ImageNext I started working on the layout, I need to determin how big the front and rear decks will be, as well as the center console, livewell, and fuel tank position.Posted ImageLots of decisions and work left to do...

Not to much to report this week. I had an extra role of 6oz cloth and I'm running low on tape, so I started cutting up some strips. Then I cut some more strips to finish glassing the bottom before I flip it.Posted ImageI sanded the whole inside in prep for glassing tomorrow.Posted ImageBefore I glass the inside I need to add a few more supports in the middle, these will also hold the chase tubes for the livewell plumbing and electrical.Posted ImageI hope to have more to report in the next few days.

I got a bit done over the weekend, I added in the aditional supports and frames for the chase tubes, filleted them in and then I glassed in the stringers and glassed the bottom.adding the frames for the chase tubesPosted ImageEverything glassedPosted ImageNow that I'm done glassing the bottom I will flip it and start working on the bottom. Hopefully if all goes as planned I will have it glassed by this coming weekend.

And now the moment that like 2 of you have been waiting for.... ;D :D :)Got her flipped over! She looks good, pretty much exactly like the model I made.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI filled all the holes and seams with thickened epoxy. There is a slight possibility I may get the bottom glassed this weekend.

Started sanding and smoothing today. I'll be ready to glass the bottom soon.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI made the drain plug hole also. I wrapped a dowel with waxpaper, then wrapped that with some fiberglass cloth and wet it out with resin.Posted Image

Thanks, will do ;) I sanded down the spots I had to fill again and then I laid out and cut all my glass. I'm going to try and get all the bottom done in one shot on saturday. The whole bottom will be covered in 17oz biaxial and then a layer of 6oz cloth, the chines and seams will be a layer of 6oz biaxial and 2 layers of 6oz cloth when done.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Been busy with my own project and other stuff that I had not been here to check your progress.You are coming right along and its really looking good.Gas tank and console placement will be one of the keys to how you boat handles. I really would not know where to start on placement.Hope you get it right.

Gas tank and console placement will be one of the keys to how you boat handles. I really would not know where to start on placement.

I learned alot about balancing a boat from my last few boats. My last boat had the battery and 6 gallon tank up front, a 120qt cooler in the middle, and a 14 gallon livewell in the rear. The narrow beam and tunnel lead to more draft in the rear, add to that 14 gallons of water (116lbs +/-) and she was a bit more tale heavy then I would have liked.The new boat will not have a tunnel and is 5 inches wider so it will float skinnier in the rear. The battery will be up front again, along with the trolling motor, and a 45qt cooler tied down to the front deck so I can stand or sit on it. The livewell will be moved to the middle and shrunk down to no more then 10 gallons. And the gas will be in the rear 30-40lbs. I think it will balance well.

My back and knees are feeling ripe after a maraton glassing session last night! The bottom and sides up to the rub rails are now glassed. Next comes a bit of sanding and then I'll start fairing.Everything primed and seams tapedPosted Imagebottom and sides glassedPosted Image

Not to much progress to report yet. I've started the fairing process and will finish it this week.I used my new belt sander, and my orbital, to make quick work of knocking down the high points.Posted ImageThen I mixed up and spread my fairing compound along the bottom and a few inches down the sides. Whoever once told me a little bit goes a long way must have had a small boat, lol.Posted Image