Sign in to follow this  
firecat1981

The PLYTANIC! (design and building a flats skiff)

Thank you all, I still have alot of finishing touches to do, but it is coming along and I hope to be able to take her out for another test run this weekend. Won't have enough time to fish just yet, but hopefully the conditions will be a little better so I can get some speed numbers on her.Considering the conditions, which where the worst I've ever seen that lake, she ran well. Definately a rough ride, but she is build for skinny water, not a chop. It fet quicker then I thought, remember it's just a 20hp 4-stroke. No I will not be taking orders, or building another one anytime soon, lol. Maybe another 5 years or so, maybe a kayak sooner, we will see, now it's time for a garage renovation.

I've been finishing up some little things like the rubrails and nav lights. I finally got to put some miles on her, about 19 per the GPS. I'll write a lack of fishing report in a bit. Here's where my journey took me, left out of simmons and explored Cockroach bay.Posted ImageFinally got some numbrs on her too, I have some tweaking to do but managed a top speed of 26.4mph, she cruised nicely at around 18-20mph. There was a little chop and I still ahve my spare 4 blade on so I'm sure I can get another mph or 2 out of her. Not bad for a 20hp motor though.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageLike I said I have some tweaking to do, it was nice having TnT, but I have to run with the motor fully tucked to prevent ventilating, so the tnt doesn't help with running adjustments unless I'm going slow. I'll be adding the TM and cooler to the front so that will help balance the load, right now with me in the rear looking over the transom and a full livewell and gas tank she is drafting about 4-5 inches at rest.

Been fishing it for a year or so now, she does the job well, but could use a bigger motor to reach full potential. I designed it for a 30hp, but financial issues made me repair my old 20hp instead. Any of the reports I've done have been on it. I got an idea to build a new boat, but it's too much of an undertaking right now which is why I went with the smaller kayak project instead.

By the way I had a gheenoe a few years ago too. Good little boat, but I got caught in a storm out of CRB and decided it was time to upgrade ;-[]- It's amazing what a little paint, a few seats, and some cheap accessories can do, lol.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Thanks guys. I still have her, but I'm considering building a new one that is more family friendly. I do about as many beach days as I do fishing trips now. I've been beaching on rocky landings, scraping across oysters, and smacking encrusted pilings for a few years now and she is holding up great. If I build a new one it will be a little bigger, be a modified shallow V hull for a smoother ride, and be a center console. Naturally I'll start a new build thread, stay tuned B) .

They are chases, basically a safe way to route all your wires, fuel lines and livewell lines. The 2 shorter PVC pipes were used for hoses for the livewell fresh water pump, and for the livewell drain. The longer ones had the wiring in one, and the fuel line in the other and kept them separated as they should be. The chases worked out great and I'll have a few more in the next boat.

Thanks, not much has changed since I finished her. The only thing I added was a custom trolling motor mount on the front, but that trolling motor has recently died so I'm going to remove the mount and maybe get an I-pilot. Here's some other pics I may not have posted.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The actual bracket I made out of a few pieces of scrap aluminum, had a buddy weld it together and then used a chopped up cutting board for the clamping board. The support for the trolling motor shaft I had a friend build, he makes all kinds of things for skiffs out of high density plastics.Check him out at Anytide.comI might actually be selling the mount and brace soon to upgrade to an I-pilot, not sure yet.