Sign in to follow this  
gsellers1245

spook jr hook comparison

I'm still hung up on hooks for the spook Jr. So far I have a couple to compare. Spook 1, pink top, has stock hooks. Spook 2 red top chrome has vmc o shaugnessy 4x short shank size 4. Spook 3, bone has kvd elite 2x short 1x strong size 2 th76bln. I filled a tupperware up with fresh water and dropped them in. Here's what they look likeSpook 1Posted ImageSpook 2Posted ImageSpook 3Posted ImageSpook 1,3,2 from left to rightPosted ImageTop viewPosted ImageNow I'm not sure how saltwater will change the buoyancy of the lure but the freshwater results are obvious. What are your thoughts and opinions.

They should float better in the salt. What is your reason for messing with the hooks? I've had good luck using Daiichi XXXX Strong Wide Gap Bleeding Bait Hooks. I think the red adds some flash.

They should float better in the salt. What is your reason for messing with the hooks? I've had good luck using Daiichi XXXX Strong Wide Gap Bleeding Bait Hooks. I think the red adds some flash.

Well i kept straightening the stock hooks so i needed something stronger. I started with a 6x vmc and it seemed like the topwater lure sank. So i tried different ones. The 4x vmc, KVD, mustad trebles and hoping to find that right balance of strength as well as lightweight. I dont want the lure to lose any performance either.

I bought the KVD trebles but the idea of them being designed around a freshwater fisherman did not sit with me to well.

I dont see how it could be much different. I figure a snooks mouth is close to a bass' mouth right?

I bought the KVD trebles but the idea of them being designed around a freshwater fisherman did not sit with me to well.

I dont see how it could be much different. I figure a snooks mouth is close to a bass' mouth right?
Have you ever seen what a 40+" snook will do with hooks meant largemouth bass ? ...lol...Big snook pull off 50-60 yards of line in 10 seconds , a 10 lb bass can be caught with a zebco 33.

johnD "Have you ever seen what a 40+" snook will do with hooks meant largemouth bass ? ...lol...Big snook pull off 50-60 yards of line in 10 seconds , a 10 lb bass can be caught in a zebco 33."LOLThe truth just don't tell the Bass Fisherman

Capt Dave talking about changing hooks out , did y'all ever get any of the Texas Tackle split ring pliers , they are the best I have tried by far...The orange handle ones are great for small freshwater baits and the green handle (large) ones are better for the saltwater stuff. I'd be willing to bet they would be a great seller in the shop.

3x, 4x and 6x strong trebles are a pretty safe bet for even the largest snook in the strongest currents ,like @ sebastian inlet for instance....buoyancy depends on the salinity of the waters your fishing.

i will be getting some saltwater this weekend with a salinity range of 1.025-1.027 i will then compare how the topwaters sit and i will also have a few more hooks to try if they dont backorder them. Order is still pending

i will be getting some saltwater this weekend with a salinity range of 1.025-1.027 i will then compare how the topwaters sit and i will also have a few more hooks to try if they dont backorder them. Order is still pending

gsellers1245 , I found two hooks you might be interested in trying for your spooks.Owner ST-41 and the Owner ST-46.. the 46 is the same as the 41 which is 2x strong but its has a corrosion-resistant vacuum-tinned finish..If you step up to the ST-51 they are 4x strong but I don't know what that will do to buoyancy.

Wishin I was a good writer, Gary..I can add that while you're changing out hooks its a good time to upgrade those crappy split rings..Owner Hyper Wire split rings are the best I have found..I'm in no way affiliated with Owner ,but imho they are making some of the best terminal tackle products at the moment ,except for there EWG hooks, for those I prefer Gamakatsu super line hooks...weighted hooks, its Owner again with there 3x strong twistlock.

I picked mine up at stones outhouse in Lakeland..if you're over in st.pete I would check with bett's ,they can order anything you want if they don't have it on the shelf..let your fingers do the walkin.check dogfish ,tfo etc. etc.

Actually bought one pair from a tackle shop in Lake Alfred , and the ones for saltwater sized gear came from Texas Tackle on there Amazon site.http://www.texastackle.com/pliers.htm