Sign in to follow this  
cwegescheide

offshore wreck kayak fishing. Anybody done it?

That does sound good. Lets not forget that the spring tarpon run off the beach is coming. I plan on heading a little ways off the beach for the silver kings and we could just keep paddling after words.

Man, I gotta catch some Tarpon this year!

Have any of you guys or gals read this story?It is about whqt is underneath that little piece of plastic you want to get on top of in 180' of blue, blue water. It is called "Don't Act Like a Seal". It might get you all thinking twice about mother-shipping into the deep stuff.:)Just saying...

The only similarities between a seal and me is maybe my breath! Hell, I've been out at Desoto on the flats in my yak and have an 8' + shark cruise by within 20' of me. Probably more like 10. And yes, it did trip me out a bit. I'm not gonna lie. Lol

I've seen a few large sharks while kayaking. It does take my breath away for a minute, but then I think of how many people on the beach are splashing around on the surface all day long during the summer. I just look at the odds - thousands and thousands of people splashing around on the beach like big topwater plugs but it's pretty rare for one to get bit. I also secretly hope that if one does get me it's REALY big one so I can hear that slurping/popping sound like when a big snook takes a little bait on the surface - if your going to go out - might as well go out in style :excited001:

I've seen a few large sharks while kayaking. It does take my breath away for a minute' date=' but then I think of how many people on the beach are splashing around on the surface all day long during the summer. I just look at the odds - thousands and thousands of people splashing around on the beach like big topwater plugs but it's pretty rare for one to get bit. I also secretly hope that if one does get me it's REALY big one so I can hear that slurping/popping sound like when a big snook takes a little bait on the surface - if your going to go out - might as well go out in style :excited001:[/quote']I like your style! :)

I know this is an older post, was just wondering if you guy's have done it or are still interested in doing it....if so, count me in. Been wanting to give it a whirl for a while.

I know this is an older post' date=' was just wondering if you guy's have done it or are still interested in doing it....if so, count me in. Been wanting to give it a whirl for a while.[/quote']I don't know if those guys ever did it, but I am definitely up to hit the 1 mile reef or further as long as the weather is favorable (<10mph winds). Maybe you should start a new thread so your request gets more visibility?

Guess all we really need is at least 3 to be save out there, the more the better though. A reef or wreck would be best, and as stated....favorable weather. Would the East coast be better? Do not have a VHF hand held anymore, need to get a new one.

Well I think we should make a run on the gulf coast first and test everything out! I DO! however know a spot here that has reef JUST off the beach and holds everything. I am just waiting to hit that spot on some nice weather. A guy told me about it and I will probably fish it with him first so give me a month or so to check that spot out and if enough of you want to make a trip over here by then it will be worth it!

I have seen some reef spots about a mile off the beach on the east coast while searching last night. Also found this tidbit of info.http://myfwc.com/media/131585/reefs.pdf

I think we should hit it when the bait starts to thicken up! Then we can maybe get some spanish mack, king mack, bonita and who knows what else! Just my .02 ! I am on east coast and have no idea what's going on over there... maybe there is a bunch of bait now and i don't even know! lol

Am an hour 45 north of Tampa...not familiar with that area other then what the guy's/gal's share here and read. Have been to the fort a few times over the years. Should do it before summer, when the weather is a little more stable. May just go to the east coast in the next week or so and give it a whirl.....can't hurt, will keep an eye on the weather. Seen some close by hunts on the links posted above, someone has to be home, not really picky as to what bend's my rod .... long as it does not snot up the line.