Sign in to follow this  
sideshow

Gheenoe pet project.

I didn't post this until now because I have enough people putting me down telling me how I can't do what I am thinking. Firecat has given me some great advice , but in a mature manner told me to do smaller projects first.Well I can't let it go. I'm going all in and any one who tells me no again can say it upon deaf ears .I love my Gheenoe . I wish she was a bit longer and a bit wider. I wish I had decks and more.Well here is what I am going to try . If I fail then at last I will be satisfied knowing I tried.I have grounded down the whole outside of the noe to the resin. I have cut the middle seat out and ground out a big area .I am trying to make a jig . When done and I have my pattern I and cutting her in half width ways. I will be glassing in 4' to her length .If this is successful I will them cut her from front to back. Radius from flush to 18'' at the transom.All works out I will be adding bulk heads inside the whole boats length and width for strength . Then I will add a flat floor 3'' from the bottom. Fully glassed in to add more strength . Foam 100% underneath for buoyancy .If everything ti ok then I will be adding 3'' to the height of the walls. This is so I can add a large front/ rear/ and middle deckThis is something that I can't get out of my head. It's like a sickness so please don't get to negative on me in here.

Hope it works out.From a safety perspective I hope you are wearing a good N95 mask when doing the grinding! Fiberglass dust will mess your lungs up extremely quickly and permanently! I can't tell if your kid is wearing a mask while vacuuming but if not get some before letting him near again cause younger lungs damage quicker. I usually use the ones at home depot with the exhalation valves, they are only a few dollars. Gheenoe's are cheap and plentiful, so if it doesn't work you can pick up another one quickly. Or get a bigger model like a classic or LT25, or even an offshoot like a riverhawk (which come much wider) or towee.

Hope it works out.From a safety perspective I hope you are wearing a good N95 mask when doing the grinding! Fiberglass dust will mess your lungs up extremely quickly and permanently! I can't tell if your kid is wearing a mask while vacuuming .

He was wearing it will I came back and took a pick. I bought nice masks so ya while I grinded he wore his. I smoke so I kept taking mine off . The dust was settled down so he was relatively safe.Me lol well I get hurt a lot so I don't worry about protection much. Been smoking for 22 years. I was on a job cutting panels for a month. Found out later it was asbestos . So I already plan on having ling issues sooner or later. Need to quit smoking ugh .

Definitely quite smoking, I have tons of COPD patients and even though I'm not a smoker it freaks me out.Check out this guys build. One of the nicest highsider's I've seen, stock hull, but nice work.http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5144

If you go WAY back in the archives of customgheenoe you will see some of my old stuff from years ago. It's a good group of guys and they are very helpful. It's not owned by Gheenoe though, Custom Gheenoe is actually a separate company owned by the founders son, they offer different models then the originals, but you can still buy the original 15.4, 13er, classic, and super from his father.

The good and the bad news .The mold came off easily. She is still soft so I'm thinking she isn't 100% cured yet since she's indoors. The lines look great.The bad news. I leveled her off on the inside multiple times and even used chalk lines to make sure she was level.Well on the outside I put the chalk line at center and the front points downward about 1/4 ''from the front to the back middle .So I now I need to ask and find out if I should find the low spots and just level it out or when I do the center cut make sure my new mold there goes perfectly level. Or make the 2x4 stringers pull it back straight since these boats do twist / flex easily.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You know I can type a novel on this but I don't have the time right now, lol.First don't do anything for a few days! make sure your resin cures fully! If it doesn't, even if it's just tacky it will need to be cut out. If it's tacky or soft then it has no real strength. There are some tricks you can try, but I don't know which resin you chose?Yes you will need to straighten/level the boats keel and bottom or it will plow through the water and never plane well no matter what motor is on there. It won't be very hard to do since the hull is so lightweight and flexible. You will need to make a stringer system in order to do this and really it needs to be done either way with the mods you did, but 2x4? Heck no lol. Your best bet is to laminate plywood strips into a ladder system like I did on my kayak. I used 1/2" for my boat. I'll write more when I can on this.Lastly you will need to "fair" the boat. Basically take out all the minor imperfections. It's just like doing body work on a car. However you can NOT use bondo! Bondo is not waterproof and will crack under pressure! If I even hear you mention bondo I'll drive over and kick you in the shin :argue: . I can tell you more when you get closer to this part which is after all the major structural stuff.