Sign in to follow this  
jerrbare

Fillman's Bayou

Anyone fished Fillman's Bayou near Aripika recently? Never been but I want to before the area is developed. I understand a developer has paid off someone in State gov't to be able to develop that area and tear up the mangrove shoreline along with the oyster bars there.

It's a good area. Fish it now because Sunwest Mines and the county property are being turned into a county water park. Boat ramp, pier, water skiing, zip lines, etc. Should be an awesome place to play with family and friends but once it's finished, the over fishing will KILL this hidden gem of Pasco. I'm afraid Aripeka will end up being over fished too. Definitely fish it before it's crowded with other boats!

Went out with ctcap2000 (Bill) yesterday. We launched from Norfleets. If you look on Google Earth there is a short cut you can take which makes a huge difference. We got lost trying to find it but even then the paddle wasn't bad at all. There were maybe 3 boats in there at the most. No one was doing great from what I could see or hear.Though As soon as we entered Fillman's I had a really cool moment seeing fish swim by as I was rigging something up as I parked right beside an oyster bar. I saw a small redfish swim by, small mullet school followed by 6 black drum, a small snook, had a stare down with a 2-3 foot barracuda and had an upper slot red swim up to me two times but whenever I moved he spooked off but came back. I definitely marked that spot for the future (if the place stays the same).Bill himself got a small slam. He got a slot trout on the way there which is pretty good considering people here are saying finding trout has been a tad difficult. He caught an almost slot red and a small snook. I almost got skunked but got a small snook on a One Kocker spook Posted Image

Good report as it's hard to find fish with this heat. I'm so afraid of what's to come with Fillman's and the Aripeka area when the Sunwest Mines park is complete. It's a hidden gem up there and it's going to be totally overfished. One of the perks to my job is I had a key to the county gate. But, since they started construction they've cut the access even for us. I had quick and easy access to Fillman's with only a five minute paddle...not anymore! Too bad you got to sell the kayak but grad school is well worth it. Maybe you can talk Bill into letting you borrow one of his Hobies!

Jay do you fish from a boat or kayak or something else?I launched from Norfleets. It's $5 for boat or $2.50 for a kayak.

I have a boat and a kayak' date=' but want to get more into kayak fishing while I'm still in college to save money. I'm looking on google earth and it looks like there is a dirt road back there. Is this accessible? (South side of that canal, where that more circular looped in pond is. Looks like the north side of that loop would be a good place to put in if it's accessible.post-90802-14121223111102_thumb.jpg

Jay do you fish from a boat or kayak or something else?I launched from Norfleets. It's $5 for boat or $2.50 for a kayak.I have a boat and a kayak, but want to get more into kayak fishing while I'm still in college to save money. I'm looking on google earth and it looks like there is a dirt road back there. Is this accessible? (South side of that canal, where that more circular looped in pond is. Looks like the north side of that loop would be a good place to put in if it's accessible.post-90802-14121223112011_thumb.jpg

Jay do you fish from a boat or kayak or something else?I launched from Norfleets. It's $5 for boat or $2.50 for a kayak.I have a boat and a kayak, but want to get more into kayak fishing while I'm still in college to save money. I'm looking on google earth and it looks like there is a dirt road back there. Is this accessible? (South side of that canal, where that more circular looped in pond is. Looks like the north side of that loop would be a good place to put in if it's accessible.You can forget about either of the dirt roads. The dirt road to the north is owned by Sunwest Mines and the dirt road to the south is owned by the county. However, the road to the south is under construction and I'm not even sure if Old Dixie Hwy.is even passable yet, it was blocked a couple months ago for construction. You best option is putting in at Norfleet's and making the paddle like Xavier suggested. The shortcut would be great or else you're looking at a healthy paddle.

Wow, I missed that shortcut. You most likely have to go on a day when it isn't windy. I went out one day and the waves were 2-3ft with 17knot winds. No good. -.-