Sign in to follow this  
calcutta86

CRB HELP!!

So I have been out in the CRB the last couple of weekends and haven't had a bit of luck.. Is anybody doing any good out there right now. I have been trying to catch some reds and trout and maybe a snook or two would be nice.. Can someone please help me out here? I just can't seem to fin the fish

What type of fishing are you doing? Are you fishing mangroves? Flats? What are you using for bait/lures? Are you using fluorocarbon leader? If so, what size? Has the water been clear or murky? Are you in a boat? Kayak? That is a great area and should produce for you if you're using the right gear and fishing in the right areas and at the right times...

I am fishing the mangroves, and flats.. Using a fluorocarbon leader 15 lb test.. Using live shrimp, top water plugs, spook jr bone color, Berkley gulp shrimp new penny color.. I can't find any white bait anywhere.. Fishing in a boat.. I have literally tried throwing every trick I know around there and have been skunked every time... I want to go again on Sunday.. Hoping someone can help me out trying to locate some fish.. Looking to fish for some reds and snook.. And if that doesn't pan out go out in the flats and try trout out again.. I have been hearing guys are killing it out there right now but I just can't seem to find the fish :( Dave help me out

Wow...what size fluoro? I wouldn't use anything bigger than 25 if you're fishing the flats...probably better to use 20lb though cause the water has been pretty clear lately. After this wind it might be stirred up a little, so the clarity won't be too good for them. I'd start with 20lb. It's could just be a string of bad days for you...Do you have a trolling motor? If so, how long ahead of time do you shut down the engine and troll to where you want to fish? Try to catch some ladies or pinfish and cut them up and throw chunks out there to soak. Reds can smell food from far away, so it'll bring them to you if you're not in the right area. Look for mullet jumping. One or two here or there isn't good. Look for a lot of mullet jumping. If you find the mullet and sneak up on them.Is Cockroach the only area you like to fish? Maybe try somewhere else...Weedon should be on fire this weekend, but there might be a lot of boat traffic which will spook the fish. Generally this time of the year I'm in super ninja mode while fishing. The water clarity is a lot better in the winter and the fish are a lot more spooky. Make sure you shut your engine down early, troll to where you're fishing...slowly. I have 5 speeds on my trolling motor and I rarely use the high speeds. I'm usually around 1 and 2 because the higher the speed, the louder the motor. Also, make sure you don't bang stuff around on the boat. Every single noise you make is amplified in the water and they hear it from far away.

They are fish there believe it or not. You should go out on the negative lows and find the pot holes and the channels that the water tends to go through. Find the sandbars that mark the grass from the deeper water find the grass that is on the out side of the bars and fish for trout. On an out going they like it there. On the a high incoming I love to fish the mangroves. I think of the mangroves as structure and all that you read about structure can be found somewhere in the mangroves.

I have been fishing crb for many years now and have always had good luck out there.. Maybe it's just me not being able to find the fish here lately.. I love fishing the mangroves on a high tide.. But Dave I use a trolling motor but cut it off probably 100 to 150 yards away from where I fish at and try to drift up to it.. I haven't tried the lady fish or pins out there lately though.. So I will have to try that technique this weekend..

AAa so you do know it. Something I have noticed that in late winter I find it hard to find a red fish I all ways figured it was cold water and fish went to deeper water. May be not it could be a time of year thing.Another thing when the friends from the north are down they hit the trout and sheep head real hard.

My wife and I fished CRB last Sunday in our Kayaks. We started out at low tide fishing the flats with no luck and had to walk the kayaks from the flats to the open water between the mangroves. We found the fish to be in the deeper waters and not under the mangrove overhangs, even at high tide. My wife caught 4 short rat reds, 1 keeper slot red at 20", 2 or 3 slot sized specs and a dozen or so short specs, and a nice 17" Sheepshead. She hooked into a bull red in the middle of one of the small bays between the mangroves but it broke the 20lb fluorocarbon leader before she could land it. I only caught 1 slot spec and 10 to 15 short specs.

I have been thinking its the winter thing but then again we really haven't had a winter only a couple days here and there.. So I don't know.. I'm lost out there right now.. I have been hearing people say they are killing it out there right now.. So hopefully my luck will will change this weekend.. I thinking of trying out the big oyster bar down by port of manatee.. Anybody heard of anything good down that way..

Dave I use a trolling motor but cut it off probably 100 to 150 yards away from where I fish at and try to drift up to it.. I haven't tried the lady fish or pins out there lately though.. So I will have to try that technique this weekend..

Ok, so that shouldn't be the problem then. I haven't fished that area in a while so I can't really tell you any specific places where they might be right now, but I have had a lot of luck with nice sized redfish north of the ramp in Little Cockroach Bay. It definitely gets skinny there though, so if you're in a boat you're probably going to need to wait till there's some water inside of the bay and then troll in there, but the outer mangrove edges and the deeper pass where the water feeds into the bay is awesome fishing too and you should be able to fish that area while you're waiting for the water to push up into the bay. I've caught a lot of snook, reds and trout in and outside of that bay.Here's coordinates to that area: 27.713546,-82.495751Let me know how you do cause I've been thinking of taking a trip over there soon. Good luck, man! Hope you break your bad luck spell this weekend

That's not the exact coordinates to park at, but just to get you to the right area. Once you're there you'll hopefully see some mullet and movement. But, just troll around that area a little. I've caught some nice fish around there and there's usually not much traffic there. I've been there on weekends and saw nobody, but like I said, it's hard to get in there sometimes...the tide's gotta be up for sure

No problem, bro. Hope you slay em! I think this weekend will be good fishing...we'll see I guess...I'm going out on Saturday in search of the one species that has been ducking me lately: the elusive snook lol