Sign in to follow this  
evilleangler

Boat Hunting.. What do you think?

I have seen it on CL as well... Looks nice. Might be a little over priced as sometimes private sellers CAN be a little "attached" to the amount of money they have spent on their boats and feel they should get every last penny back. Just because a engine has been recently serviced and trailer rewired for instance doesn't mean they can put 1800 bucks on top of the price to make up for their cost of ownership. Other than that, it really depends on what you want to use the boat for...Skinny water chasing down reds on the flats? This is not the boat. Running in the bay and having a nice "general" fishing vessel or something stable enough for the family for instance, this could be a good purchase.. Offshore, it depends on the weather and how big your make reproductive parts are...LOL Jk Basically a decent all around bay boat that will mostlikely draft fairly shallow (1') or a tick more and a comfortable ride for people on board...

It's a dealer.. said he would budge, wanted an offer. Told him I'm looking around. No hr meter... 55lb 24v t-motor. comes with boat and personal safety equip, anchors etc. Said it had complete service, has paperwork.I like the good ride part as bumps don't do me well these days. I'd like something to fish the deeper/open areas of the bay... If I want to do the skinny I would probably just anchor and walk a little.My parts ain't big enough for the gulf in that. :) well, maybe a few miles..

Well then pick it up! Although I would demand a thorough water test with a quality certified marine tech and get his professional opinion of it with you while on the vessel. I did a simple search and found a few over the country and it seems a comparable price for the make and model.

Looks pretty good Roger. Nice boat for this area as long as you aren't hoping to troll or pole for Reds in 9" of water. The big question of course is the engine. No guarantees on a 15 y.o motor of course even with a thorough inspection by a mechanic but that detail is absolutely a must along with an on water test as Phil said. If all that checks out and you can get it in the $6>$6.5k range then it might just be a good boat for you if this is the type of hull you want.

A definite must having it checked out on the water.. Anyone know a reputable mechanic/shop up in the NPR area that would be up to a test? I'm not thrilled with that motor but if it's in good running condition it is what it is. I've looked at skiffs for shallow water but the ride is what steers me away. I had a 16 flat bottom river john for years, hated it on choppy water. What other type of hull would you recommend for this area for shallows?Won't be doing any polling in the shallows unless someone else is doing it.. :)

Um what is your true budget? Dude you could get a sick true flats boat that has a decent ride for at or under 10g's If you want to run the flats, which is the main thing we have here in the Bay Area, then you may want to check out some boats more specific to those demands...Stay way away from flat bottom boats if you are into a somewhat decent comfy ride.. It's all up to your true budget and how soon you want a boat...

10g is tops on a turn key boat. Wanting something that I can feel comfortable going anywhere on the bay as far as waves and comfort(relative) are concerned. Thinking 2ft of water is as skinny as I would go, anything less I guess I'd walk. I won't be polling so if it's skinny enough to require that, It's not what I need.

If comfort in some chop is what you want - then you will have to forgo some draft - bottom line. I would recommend not maxing out your budget with the purchase because inevitably there will be something(s) else you you want or need to spend on the boat after purchasing.

If comfort in some chop is what you want - then you will have to forgo some draft - bottom line. I would recommend not maxing out your budget with the purchase because inevitably there will be something(s) else you you want or need to spend on the boat after purchasing.

Yup, flat bottom boats are pretty much out of the question now. Looking for stability and room to get around also. Can't ask for too much huh. :) I do like those $1200 anchors but thinking(know) the $30.00 ones are good enough for me.Definitely don't want to max anything out these days and appreciate the advice.

doesnt look bad. Not a cluttered up deck area for a 19', seems sorta roomy. Proline used to be made up in crystal river, I think they are made in NC now. I bet that goes decently shallow, probably 12"

Roger" Thats a nice outfit. I too seen it on Craigs list. If I was REALLY interested I would offer $6500 and a test ride. Course I would pay for the test ride buy or no buy. From the hundreds of boats I've seen on Craigs list the past year, I think he's a little high. Course I'm a tite ass!!!!LOL On second thought, buy it so you can take me fishing!!!LOL

Roger" Thats a nice outfit. I too seen it on Craigs list. If I was REALLY interested I would offer $6500 and a test ride. Course I would pay for the test ride buy or no buy. From the hundreds of boats I've seen on Craigs list the past year' date=' I think he's a little high. Course I'm a tite ass!!!!LOL On second thought, buy it so you can take me fishing!!!LOL[/quote']I'm surprised you waited till the last line to say that! :)~ That's about where I was at as far as offering, if I do at all.. It's a dealer so I know he has room. It is a clean boat, looks like it was stored well.Is there a season down here for buying /selling boats? besides after hurricanes? :)

Roger" Thats a nice outfit. I too seen it on Craigs list. If I was REALLY interested I would offer $6500 and a test ride. Course I would pay for the test ride buy or no buy. From the hundreds of boats I've seen on Craigs list the past year' date=' I think he's a little high. Course I'm a tite ass!!!!LOL On second thought' date=' buy it so you can take me fishing!!!LOL[/quote'']I'm surprised you waited till the last line to say that! :)~ That's about where I was at as far as offering, if I do at all.. It's a dealer so I know he has room. It is a clean boat, looks like it was stored well.Is there a season down here for buying /selling boats? besides after hurricanes? :)
After summer period

doesnt look bad. Not a cluttered up deck area for a 19'' date=' seems sorta roomy. Proline used to be made up in crystal river, I think they are made in NC now. I bet that goes decently shallow, probably 12"[/quote']The "roomy" caught my eye too.. some cc's have so little room to walk around them it's crazy.

Roger......everyone has really given you great advice. I know nothing about used boats but I sold used cars and the mark up was quite a bit higher than most people would think. If you buy from a dealer, work him hard! They HATE to lose sales. ;-)

Buy in the winter, sell in the summer.Looks pretty good. Would be a good boat for most days around the bay area. Might be a little uncomfortable in a decent chop. Proline made a good boat.

I am look at boats in the 8-12k price range myself...there is A LOT available, and from what I have experienced so far, not many people buying. Dealer on seminole blvd dropped price on a 2005 trophy 1901 bay from 16500 to 10500 when i told him i didnt want it. I am holding out until the end of summer to buy though for financial reasons.Here are a couple I have been looking at, hoping they don't sell so I can come in with a low offer in a month or so.http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/boa/3892827760.htmlhttp://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/3896109094.htmlhttp://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/3886775641.htmlAs you can probably tell, my mind isn't made up about what type of hull i want. I want it for fishing, but my wife wants it for cruising/getting sun. PS, if the sea pro is still available, the guy is desperate to sell and will probably take 8 or so...two stroke and the boat has some fairly minor things to fix at first glance, but i really liked it. Whatever you get, definitely get it checked out by a mechanic, and do a sea trial. I have come across some real con artists trying to flip garbage to make a buck since I started looking. GOOD LUCK AND LEAVE ONE FOR ME!!